Author Topic: And so it begins...  (Read 8266 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 09:47:14 PM »
0
Yikes. I half expect to see an old lady pedaling a bicycle somewhere among the debris...
 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:56:27 PM by David K. Smith »

Bruce Bird

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 187
  • Respect: +3
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 10:20:53 PM »
0
Well, with all of this talk of leveled trees and towns wiped from the face of the earth, I'm sure you've got your Water Quality Permit already sewed up from the EPA.  You know you need one if you disturb more than an acre of ground (1.7 square feet in N scale). ;)

Despite the destruction, the pictures look great, Lee.  Keep that sledge swinging!

Bruce

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 11:51:53 PM »
0
Workbench maneuver complete.  Area designated as Cumberland is a lovely blank slate.


To ze Lumber Yard!
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 07:28:23 AM »
0
Well, with all of this talk of leveled trees and towns wiped from the face of the earth, I'm sure you've got your Water Quality Permit already sewed up from the EPA.  You know you need one if you disturb more than an acre of ground (1.7 square feet in N scale). ;)

Despite the destruction, the pictures look great, Lee.  Keep that sledge swinging!

Bruce


Hum, since I used to inspect for such things I'll have to take a look around when next I go out to Cambridge!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 08:16:06 AM »
0
Here's the new workbench rig.  I'm sure it's only a matter of minutes before it's piled with debris again.  Hopefully having this out in the Anteroom will help keep the layout room a little easier to keep tidy.







And in the wake of this herculean task, there remains a hole, which can now be filled with Cumberland.  Chris, I'll need you to revisit those station windows soon!



The next thing I'll probably spend time on is sorting through all of the junk boxes I have and get my materials somewhat organized.  For those of you keeping score at home, the L part of the workbench will be re-deployed as the dispatchers desk over by the yard... which at this moment can't be seen under the piles of crap.  Oh well, one step at a time!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12346
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8588
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 08:55:30 AM »
0
Lee,

What a great location for the workbench.  From the pictures, it appears as if it is a perfect fit at the top of the stairs.  Good to see you found a spot for the stereo, too.  I expect that this will save tons of space in the layout room.  Keep up the progress and keep sending us pics.  

Sure am glad that I have some pictures of the former version of the layout before it was nuked, though.  While I'm excited to see the new layout develop, it is hard to believe that certain locations such as this are now gone.  :(


DFF

P.S. Tell Andy to get his hair cut.  ;)

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +146
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 09:04:32 AM »
0
Here's the new workbench rig.  I'm sure it's only a matter of minutes before it's piled with debris again.  Hopefully having this out in the Anteroom will help keep the layout room a little easier to keep tidy.



Lee

HOLY ORGANIZED ROBIN. ZOWEY!


Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 09:19:07 AM »
0
Dave, I stripped the river crossing down to the roadbed, and pulled the bridge for safe keeping.  It will be restored to look more or less the same.  I just didn't want it getting crushed by debris.

Because of the work needed on the staging yard below decks, I was afraid I would have to pull the whole area, but it worked out that the river bed isn't in the way (that much), so I can press on with the new alignment.  One thing's for sure, the river gorge is going to be a lot deeper!  I have to drop the river with another 2.5 - 3" falls to get the Connellsville loop to dive to the proper level, while the Thomas sub climbs, where before it headed downgrade.  The Thomas sub will now be a steady climb all the way from Maryland Jct. to Elkins, with the bone crushing helix behind Cumberland.  10-15 car trains will be the norm going up, which is the control established by the passing sidings.

This is going to be fun...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12346
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8588
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 10:18:04 AM »
0
Dave, I stripped the river crossing down to the roadbed, and pulled the bridge for safe keeping.  It will be restored to look more or less the same.  I just didn't want it getting crushed by debris.

Glad to hear the scene will be replicated for the most part.  It was definitely one of the most photogenic spots on the layout.  Have you figured out a date for the next layout-building session?  We could rebuild that lower staging yard throat, so that you could begin the constuction of the peninsula topside.  Since I believe that you already have all of the materials necessary...

The Thomas sub will now be a steady climb all the way from Maryland Jct. to Elkins, with the bone crushing helix behind Cumberland.  10-15 car trains will be the norm going up, which is the control established by the passing sidings.

Oh, this IS going to be fun.  I cannot wait to make this run: empties up the hill and loads downgrade.  We're gonna need a lot of horsepower and good brakes, judging the grade and curves.  What's the standard power on the run to/from Elkins?  You are going to give me something with dynamic braking, right?  I'll try to remember to set the retainers to avoid runaways.  :)

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 04:53:49 PM »
0
You'll get a lot old school Atlas RS-3's with no flywheels!  When you're lucky, you'll get a couple of F units, or maybe a pair of GP's.

On steam night, there's a pair of Consolidations available to make the trip.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26106
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11601
    • Conrail 1285
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 05:10:33 PM »
0
Bah, just throw some GP15-1s at it :-)

POVC

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 598
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +50
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2010, 05:35:58 PM »
0
Bah, just throw some GP15-1s at it :-)

And how many of those did the Western Maryland have?


wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2010, 07:10:59 PM »
0
Oh Tim... Honestly.  Ed's talking about when we have Conrail Night.

So far I only have a caboose...



Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

2-8-8-0

  • Guest
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2010, 09:11:23 PM »
0
You make me resent being a renter...reeealy want to get to building a real layout someday soon(ish!)

Cursed college. One....more....year...!

The play by play of the rebuild is both informative and fun, thanks much for posting so many pics! I also am happy the bridge will remain, the Potomac crossings are my favorite part of your layout. Hope it comes together well!

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2010, 10:39:51 PM »
0
Thanks to you all for your continuing encouragement.  I finished sorting the junk boxes tonight.  It's amazing how much stuff accumulates that you simply can't live without!

I've taken the necessary measurements to see how Cumberland will lay out vis a vis the plan that David whipped up.  It looks like I might move a couple things around, but that's all below the scenery.  I'm going to want to maintain a bit of access inside the Thomas Sub helix in case things get a little wild in there...

Anyway, with that information in hand, I can slip out to the garage tomorrow and inventory the lumber stock to see if I need to pick up anything.  I may run out and buy a bundle of 1x3's to have on hand, or if it's more economical, a sheet of 3/4.  I'm supposed to go boating with the neighbors on Saturday, but my mind will be in the garage!

Ever onward!

And listen, 2-8-8-0...  Don't get ahead of yourself.  It's taken me 35 years to get to this point!
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net