Author Topic: Weekend Update - 5/9/2010  (Read 2861 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +690
Weekend Update - 5/9/2010
« on: May 09, 2010, 08:17:48 AM »
To all you Mother's , Happy Mother's Day . What did you want to show us this week ?

up1950s

• Crew
Re: Weekend Update - 5/9/2010
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 08:18:50 AM »

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1147
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 09:49:11 AM »
Worked on wiring the leads for Elkins, got all the leads dropped so I could paint the track.  Other than that, I'm just trying to get ahead of the Junk Blob that continues to grow in the train room so I can begin deconstructing the peninsula and really moving forward with the project.  Otherwise, tinkering with a passenger car project that's been lingering too long on the bench, and getting ready to tear into four Life Like E units for some brain transplants.

Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 10:23:54 AM »
Here's my camera car making a double run-by (coming and going) over the Kankakee river bridge last month:

/>
The cover on the battery car isn't seated quite right in this shot. It does go all the way down, but since it's a friction fit it occasionally will ride up after it's been running for a while.
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +374
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 12:20:28 PM »
No modeling for me this week, but I did make it up to the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento on Friday.  Starting with the models, here we have a Santa Fe F7 in #1, O, S, HO, N, and Z scales.  It's a lot of fun to see a direct comparison like that.

The Sacramento Railroad Museum actually has a pretty large display on model railroading.  Definitely worth the trip.

Next up, Central Pacific's "Governor Stanford"

Central Pacific's "C. P. Huntington", a 4-2-4T, and a rather useless locomotive at that.

And finally, an SP AC-12.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 12:52:16 AM by eric220 »
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +136
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 12:31:02 PM »
always lked that museum...  they have some Virginia Truckee stuff and some Promitory Point relics that are great!!!  Definitley a worthwhile stop while in Sacramento (along with the Wells Fargo museum).  Thanks for the pics!

EP
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 01:07:37 PM »

Richie, I'm impressed. So when were you in Cincy to get a taste for Skyline Chilli?
Tony Hines

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +996
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 02:07:37 PM »
With Walthers announcing a new release of the Life-Like Northeastern caboose which may or may not be an improvement over the original, I decided to see if I could improve on the original model since I need an L&NE caboose for the Maybrook interchange.  Started with the standard L&NE model, lowered the car, swapped in Atlas caboose trucks with FVM wheels and moved them slightly inward, added MTL brakewheels and Atlas smokestacks, body-mounted MTL 2004s, removed all underbody molded-in hardware and added Atlas caboose brake hardware and ALM toolbox.  Still have bodywork and end-work to do.  Also want to paint the interior to get rid of the translucence effect and shift the herald and car number to the right of the center vertical beltrail.  But the car already looks better with visible hardware and being closer to the ground.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 02:10:41 PM »

Richie, I'm impressed. So when were you in Cincy to get a taste for Skyline Chilli?

Never heard of it before I came across the logo .
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 02:21:34 PM by up1950s »

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +77
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 02:19:12 PM »
Built the final proto of my new 89ft Bethlehem Flush-Deck. This and the ACF car is now in the final stages and should start shipping before the end of the month. Just have to wait for the Jack Pad castings and the Ratchet Brake Lever which will be stainless. I created the kit and included the parts so the builder can do the early versions with the bridge plates and collapsible (MLE) hitches or the modernized Twin-45 version from 1982 without bridge plates and fixed hitches. BTW, The Deck comes pre-bent.

Regards
Bob Knight

TrainCat Model Sales

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 06:58:16 PM »

Never heard of it before I came across the logo .

Oh it`s good stuff..got an Army buddy from Cincy, first stop when I go to see him is Skyline...
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 02:31:48 PM »
Not a lot of action this week, ehh!!

I spent yesterday with the misses since it was her day to be pampered (meaning I took the kids away for about 7 hours and she had the house to herself for a change...  ;D)

I managed to finish this trio late last week for a customer:

I also finished up another 6 MRL auto parts box cars. 

eNjoy!

Brian
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)

Packer

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 09:21:11 PM »
I installed a Detail Associates U-boat detail kit on a U33C. I kept it fairly basic and didn't install all the parts (sand hatches, bell, journal stuff) and just used the grabs, and MU hoses. I would have installed the coupler cut bar but most of the mounts for it flew off when trying to string them to the bar. Pics of the completed unit later when I redo the handrails. I've also added new stirrups to many of my frieght cars that have had the originals broken off. Some of the aftermarket ones I had didn't quite fit right, but I was able to modify a few to fit.

I've also got the front end of my car taken apart (again) to get shorter control arms and spindles in so the tires quit hitting the lip of the fender. I have managed to make sure it'll work this time before putting it all together. I mocked it up without the spring and stuck a jack under the control arm so see if the tire would hit the edge, sure enough it went inside the fender well.
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.

NorfolkSouthern9708

• Crew
  • Respect: -1
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 04:43:39 PM »
Wow already Tuesday and only 10 replies. Relaid the cork to make the layout more simple and cheaper when it comes to track. Going to the Nascar Race this weekend. YAY!!!

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +136
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 12:02:06 AM »
finished the east yard of Bellevue (track) and started the west yard (roadbed).  Putzed around with some scenery.  Ripped out a few shadow boxes and replaced with benchwork for track behind the furnace and punching through the walls.  The "family room" is slowly being overtaken.

Should be ready for trains by the 3rd Sunday in July. 

Probably need a few runners before hand to test the roundy round.

Don't fret though... there are operational potentials for the freight guys... even though it is a passenger first road ;)

"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook