Author Topic: Grab irons on diesels. Nice detail or headache?  (Read 12734 times)

shawnleon

• Crew
  • Modern CSX in coal country!
  • Respect: 0
Re: Grab irons on diesels. Nice detail or headache?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 08:22:01 PM »
Man, I love the look but wonder how I'd feel once the project was started. I suspect at a minimum touch-up painting is required to cover the areas removed.

Shawn

2-8-8-0

• Crew
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 09:24:48 PM »
I like it, I have an undec atlas gp-38 on the way (cost a LOT less than my new Kato -9, which is so nice in its SP paint i dont know if i wanna strip it!) and i think ill have a go at detailing it. Ill order the parts from you folks at BLMA and just give it my best, and then move onto a -9 or SD70 model when I have a better idea what exactly it is i am doing!

By the way, thank you all very much for all the information, encouragement, and help you've given me the last couple weeks. The amount of time and effort you all put into responses, whether pictures of tenders, detailed engines, or even making me a CD with PDFS of an old RMC article is amazing, and really appreciated. Best forum ever, right here.

Tim
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:38:20 PM by 2-8-8-0 »
Just say no to dummy couplers.

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 11:03:44 PM »
Great stuff! I did my first detail job with a painted unit (Atlas Reading & Northern GP50) I cut off the existing grab ons as I felt the Atlas molds were a little heavy (read 'thick') on the details. It was a pain, added a lot of work, but came out decent. Next was a Kato SD70Ace and after finding the mold on Katos much more 'crisp' and the molded grab ons 'thinner' I just left the factory ones on drilled and installed BLMA grab ons right over them. It came out great (I'm picky, but not as picky from a few millimeters away) Made for a much faster project.  But as other have said, all depends on taste. I for one thought I would never add such details, but once I tried it, I was hook.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 12:09:54 AM »
Man, I love the look but wonder how I'd feel once the project was started.

The first drilled hole or shaved grabiron is always the hardest :)

But don't think you have to rush thru a project, and also don't forget that the vast majority of mistakes can be recovered, and it's usually not too hard.  The only project that can never be finished is the one that never gets started.  ;)

I suspect at a minimum touch-up painting is required to cover the areas removed.

True, and remember that while you want to be as neat as possible, the touch-up doesn't have to be perfect.  The weathering process does a surprisingly good job of covering up the minor imperfections.

Ed

shawnleon

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »
Man, I love the look but wonder how I'd feel once the project was started.

The first drilled hole or shaved grabiron is always the hardest :)

But don't think you have to rush thru a project, and also don't forget that the vast majority of mistakes can be recovered, and it's usually not too hard.  The only project that can never be finished is the one that never gets started.  ;)

I suspect at a minimum touch-up painting is required to cover the areas removed.

True, and remember that while you want to be as neat as possible, the touch-up doesn't have to be perfect.  The weathering process does a surprisingly good job of covering up the minor imperfections.

Ed

Ed, thanks for the encouragement! Now I have to try this out. Out the corner of my eye I see the next Feather River Trains order materializing and once again, BLMA is at the front of the line!

Shawn

Craig Martyn

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • BLMA Models
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 12:46:55 AM »
This might help...at least with EMD models:

Also, we have some additional helpful information in our Tips & Tricks section:

http://www.blmamodels.com/cgi-bin/webstore/shop.cgi?c=tips.htm&t=main.htm&storeid=1&ud=AAgGAAsADwIDBxQUEBEcHAIBBAAHAgUFCQkTEQAA
Craig Martyn
BLMA Models

www.BLMAmodels.com

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 01:29:08 AM »
Craig, you forgot the bulk packs of #80 drill bits   ;)

I love the orange AC units on the cab roofs. I call 'em "decafs" 'cuz they remind me of the coffee pots at my previous job.    ;D

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 01:33:24 AM »
Ed, thanks for the encouragement! Now I have to try this out.

You're welcome!  And don't forget that you've already got one of your best resources right here, with lots of folks on this forum who are always ready to help out with any questions you might have.   The only real rule, of course, is to have fun  ;)

Ed

Craig Martyn

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • BLMA Models
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 01:41:10 AM »
Craig, you forgot the bulk packs of #80 drill bits   ;)

Yeah, well...  We sell them through the website, but they're not exactly a catalog item.
Craig Martyn
BLMA Models

www.BLMAmodels.com

shawnleon

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 03:25:58 AM »
Very nice, gentlemen. Very nice, indeed!

Shawn

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 09:41:04 AM »
This might help...at least with EMD models:

Also, we have some additional helpful information in our Tips & Tricks section:

http://www.blmamodels.com/cgi-bin/webstore/shop.cgi?c=tips.htm&t=main.htm&storeid=1&ud=AAgGAAsADwIDBxQUEBEcHAIBBAAHAgUFCQkTEQAA

Now if we could just get some horns we'd be golden.

Mark

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 09:48:23 AM »
Ed, thanks for the encouragement! Now I have to try this out.

You're welcome!  And don't forget that you've already got one of your best resources right here, with lots of folks on this forum who are always ready to help out with any questions you might have.   The only real rule, of course, is to have fun  ;)

Ed

And honestly, once you start, you'll never look back.  I started on a GP38, did a crummy job, but it still looked better than an off the shelf model.

Once you get the hang of carefully shaving those molded on parts, you can get through a loco pretty quick.  It's the drilling that takes the most time for me. 
~ Matt

sd80mac

• Crew
  • Respect: +70
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 09:49:17 AM »
Hello Gents,

To drill for grabs, I use a #87 bit that I picked up from HF Tools. It's true that their tools aren't always the greatest, however, their micro drillbit grab bag hits the spot every time! It's only $5.49 for 20 bits. I usually buy two or three packs at a time. Just an option...

Donnell

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 10:56:02 AM »
Is that HF drill bit grab bag an internet only item?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

sd80mac

• Crew
  • Respect: +70
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2010, 01:36:16 PM »
Hi Philip,

These are available in stores. Here's the link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44924

I just picked up two packs (40 bits) this morning on the way home from work and there were five #87 bits in the bunch!

Donnell

Is that HF drill bit grab bag an internet only item?