Author Topic: Tomytec Construction set #1 is here!  (Read 7144 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +478
Tomytec Construction set #1 is here!
« on: March 22, 2010, 04:24:00 AM »
I don't know if this intrests any of you, but the Construction set from TOMYTEC is here. This set features bulldozers and excavators by Komatsu, a Hitachi demolition unit, and two right hand drive cranes. All vehicles feature moving parts, flush windows and first rate paint jobs.

Plaza Japan

Everything except the cranes has been imported to the US and can be seen on virtually any construction site today. The era for the vehicles is mid 90's to today. Though they are 1/150, they are sized much better than most of the construction vehicles we use today; the Bachmann vehicles scale out to be about 1/120 and the Norscot vehicles scale anywhere from 1/91 to 1/133.

The case of 8 vehicles runs $72 including shipping, so each vehicle costs less than $10.

These are going to be used on a future "Little Big Dig" Boston module.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200453064216
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 04:28:04 AM by daniel_leavitt2000 »
You've crossed the walls, excelled
Further along through their hell
All for my heart, I watch you kill
You always have, you always will
Now spread your wings and sail out to me

Glenn Poole

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Tomytec Construction set #1 is here!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 06:16:45 PM »
I have been waiting for these to arrive, however, I have been unable to find any mail order hobby shop who carries them.  Also, I would like to be able to just buy what I want instead of buying a whole set which half of it I don't need or want.
Glenn

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +442
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 07:44:38 PM »
NIce looking models.  There's probably a close American approximation for the crane.  But the lack of a bucket loader troubles me - only because I need one.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Glenn Poole

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 10:01:58 PM »
NIce looking models.  There's probably a close American approximation for the crane.  But the lack of a bucket loader troubles me - only because I need one.

I have seen pictures of the (bucket) loader.  I think it is coming in the Construction set #2.

Glenn

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +95
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 11:26:05 PM »
I have been waiting for these to arrive, however, I have been unable to find any mail order hobby shop who carries them.  Also, I would like to be able to just buy what I want instead of buying a whole set which half of it I don't need or want.

Glenn,

The only place I found to buy the individual cartons (rather than the whole collection) is from vendors at train shows.  The problem is, the first one in the booth generally gets the one or ones you want!

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 05:56:06 PM »
A little history of the construction series.

The first company that produced a construction set was Maruka about two years ago. This included a Hitachi excavator, Kawasaki wheel loader, crane (right hand drive), a tow truck looking thing.

Their second release was decidedly less interesting to us. This release featured Japanese only snow plow, Japanese only street sweeper, right hand drive industrial dump truck, Hitachi rock crusher and a mini crane that didn't look so hot.

About the same time as the second Maruka release, a company called F-toys produced a set including a Komatsu excavator, Kato crane (right hand drive) and Japanese prototype trucks to carry them. These models were by far the best I have ever seen in both detail and paint.

Fujimoto recently released a set that look a LOT like the Maruka releases. In fact, the tracked crane looks to have the same Hitachi tooling as Maruka's excavator. I believe some of these models were intended to be released by Maruka, but were not for some reason. Also included in the set are a Japanese plow (different from the Maruka one), street sweeper (again different from the maruka version), wheel wheeled compactor and large forklift. The crane, forklift, and compactor are all imported to the US.

I have not seen a poster for Tomytec's next release, but if anyone knows were to find it I would appreciate it. Maruka's third release looks like a good one. It includes a container loader, Bulldozer (slightly different version than the Tomytec Komatsu), cement mixer, tracked crane (slightly different version from Fujimoto but still based on the Hitachi 160 body) and tractor/trailer/container.

You can purchase many of these models individually from 7Toys7 on eBay:
http://stores.ebay.com/7TOYS7_1-150-N-Gauge_W0QQ_fsubZ5QQ_sidZ5821466QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 06:17:43 PM by daniel_leavitt2000 »

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +687
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 06:48:27 PM »
I think my Dr. yesterday used that orange one to extract 36 biopsy's from my colon .

trainforfun

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 11:13:50 AM »
Wow ! this flatbed will also be interesting , they say coming in april !!!

Thanks ,
Louis

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +77
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 12:40:48 PM »
Great,

The Dozers will look perfect on the Bulldozer Wreck Flat Car.

Regards
Bob Knight

TrainCat Model Sales

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +95
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 01:58:21 AM »

I think both the truck and the trailer look interesting, and I am tempted to get that collection just for those two models.  However, since the Tomytec PC300 is over 11 N scale feet wide, that trailer will likely need to be altered in order to travel on North American highways without a special permit.  

The F-Toys lowboy appears to be about the same width, but after taking approximately three scale feet out of the middle, it can now travel on my N scale highways without restriction.   ;)

Carter
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 02:18:17 AM by cfritschle »
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

crankycalf

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 04:05:08 AM »

http://www.osbornsmodels.com/tomytec-trailer-collection-4--10-9315-p.asp
they sent out a mailshot to me when they came in, so I just rang up and ordered some. they might have some left, might be worth e-mailing maurice040947@aol.com to see if they have got any.

they put up a few pics on twitter of the bulldozer and back hoe
www.twitter.com/osbornsmodels

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 10:26:58 PM »
Well it looks like my shipment was lost in the mail. It has been three weeks since shipment and nothing yet. I hope PlazaJapan will send a new one.