Author Topic: DCC Systems - what do you recommend?  (Read 3221 times)

ceiteach1

Re: DCC Systems - what do you recommend?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 11:46:27 PM »
Demo a few before you buy. I did. I purchased the NCE Pro Cab. Very happy with my decision.
User manuals are easy to read. Controller is logically organized with large buttons, large screen.
Easy to program. A pleasure to use. You really don't need to add any extra pieces to have an
excellent DCC system that will handle a relatively large layout.

Keith.

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 11:58:40 PM »
My only experience with the NCE is with a local club that is starting out around here. They started with a Power Cab starter system. What I don't like about it is if they want to expand, upgrade to the Pro Cab, they just about have to start over as the booster is built into the throttle on the Power Cab. If you go with NCE, look at one of the middle to upper range systems with a seprate booster instead

Why on earth would they start with a PowerCab for an entire club layout? That system is designed for the one-man small layout operation. The really nice thing about the PowerCab is it functions as its own complete system for the one-man show or for a test track, but also functions as a normal throttle on a full NCE setup. I'm considering getting one myself once I'm working again so I can eventually start playing around with engines at home and also have a throttle to bring out to the club.

Good advice above though. The PowerCab is great for a small shelf layout or independent test/programming track setup, but it's not expandable on its own. You have to get a proper NCE command station and start from there. You can expand it with as many boosters as you like.

Believe me, I tried to explain that to them. It is a group of gentlemen starting a small club at their retirement community and they were afraid of the programming on a Zephyr and like the price of the NCE. They have built a small modular layout that will only have two operators at a time so it fits what they need. They recently picked up a second throttle and that is as far as they are going to expand anything.
Tony Hines

SOUPAC

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 12:46:07 AM »
CVP Products EasyDCC. While its very aptly named, it's does about all there is to do. Developed by Keith Gutierrez who wrote the original CTC-16 articles for Model Railroader. Knows his stuff and
keeps it simple for us!
RICK

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 06:41:29 AM »
Digitrax and/or NCE to meet your wish list.

ljudice

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 10:34:52 AM »
Hey, I can't thank you guys enough for all the ideas here...  Definitely opened my mind about adding NCE to the list...

I am beginning to think that some sort of walkaround, wireless control is needed up front.

It looks like some systems are IR and some radio based - anyone have suggestions on the size of a room needed to go radio - I assume IR is line of sight only, which could be a problem here.

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 12:02:38 PM »
Hey, I can't thank you guys enough for all the ideas here...  Definitely opened my mind about adding NCE to the list...

I am beginning to think that some sort of walkaround, wireless control is needed up front.

It looks like some systems are IR and some radio based - anyone have suggestions on the size of a room needed to go radio - I assume IR is line of sight only, which could be a problem here.

I have two MRC Prodigy Wireless throttles... And I couldn't be happier.  Easy to use.  A piece of cake to program loco's.  My room is 20 by 12 and the wireless system works great.

This is a radio-based system.

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 12:13:55 AM »
IR is definately by nature line-of-sight.

I doubt there's any practical minimum size space for radio, but if you have a very large basement empire you'll likely need more than one radio repeater.

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 01:07:45 PM »
IR
is much like your TV remote.  You can bounce the 'beam' off most semi-reflective surface.  A single IR receiver would be fine on an island layout.  Line of sight is important for throttle input information to be received and processed by the system.  Generally where ever you are likely to point the throttle an IR receiver would be a good idea.  Radio frequency follows the usual rules and may require additional receivers if you have metal framing, metal faced insulation or other deterrents to signal.

Generally any system has desirable features.  Pick the features you most desire to narrow the list to finalists.  Only consider the  hardware/software features available now as rumours may remain vapourware and you would be comited to an unsatisfactory DCC system.  Give a lot of weight to the quality of online/local assistance available because no system is without a few head scratching moments...

Support fine modeling

bobcat

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 01:52:57 PM »
IR
is much like your TV remote.  You can bounce the 'beam' off most semi-reflective surface.  A single IR receiver would be fine on an island layout.  Line of sight is important for throttle input information to be received and processed by the system.  Generally where ever you are likely to point the throttle an IR receiver would be a good idea.  Radio frequency follows the usual rules and may require additional receivers if you have metal framing, metal faced insulation or other deterrents to signal.

Generally any system has desirable features.  Pick the features you most desire to narrow the list to finalists.  Only consider the  hardware/software features available now as rumours may remain vapourware and you would be comited to an unsatisfactory DCC system.  Give a lot of weight to the quality of online/local assistance available because no system is without a few head scratching moments...

That is some really sound advice.

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2010, 11:24:21 PM »
I have a Digitrax 8a Super Chief with a Digitrax 20A regulated power supply. This is my third set having started with a MRC Prodigy and the upgrading to a Digitrax Empire builder. The reason I went with this setup is that I can really upgrade later on and have more than enough power to run muliple unit consist.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

Bob Horn

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2010, 11:16:36 PM »
For what it is worth, I have used the Super Chief radio for almost 10 years. I have 3 DT-400R, 2 DT-402D duples and 1 UT-4-R. I am very happy with the system and would never go back to DC. The layout is the better part of a 2 car garage with over 3.5 miles of main line, single track with passing sideings, and is a ball to operate. Bob.