Author Topic: How long till MTH attempts N scale?  (Read 5264 times)

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +93
How long till MTH attempts N scale?
« on: March 20, 2010, 12:54:43 PM »
After looking at the Walthers NE caboose annoucement, I checked out some of the other catagories to find that MTH is now offering their own HO track system.

It looks like MTH is trying to be a one stop HO contender now. How long till they try to make their mark in N?

MTH is a love them or hate them company from what I see with our customers at the shop. So far the only people really happy with their HO offerings are the O scalers that have downsized. The HO guys don't like the qwirks that creep up because of MTH"s propriatory DCS system on DCC. From what I understand, their product support is pretty much nil also.

***edited title to soften tone a bit
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:52:37 AM by SkipGear »
Tony Hines

FrankCampagna

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: How long till MTH invades N scale?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 02:33:36 PM »
I like some of the stuff they make. I don't care about the company. If they make something I need, and I can afford it, they have my business.

Frank
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

davidone

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 07:55:51 PM »
All of thier HO will come in 2 versions DCC/DCS/DC w/ sound and also DCC ready for those who want to use thier decoders. I think this starts this coming spring/summer.

Dave

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +416
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 09:45:31 PM »
As long as they bring their PRR catalog with them to N, I'm all for it, even if my wallet and mortgage are not.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

davidone

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 12:40:55 AM »
I would welcome another mfg. The more comptition the better.

Dave

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +93
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 12:48:32 AM »
All of thier HO will come in 2 versions DCC/DCS/DC w/ sound and also DCC ready for those who want to use thier decoders. I think this starts this coming spring/summer.

Dave

Dave,
 This is good news. We have a shop down the road from us that is one of the biggest MTH dealers in the mid west, so much so, that is all he sells. We don't even bother trying to carry the stuff because of that.
 He specializes in O but now has the HO stuff. The people buy it there and then come to us because the folks at the shop don't understand 2 rail yet. I'm sure a lot of people will be glad when they don't have to deal with the DCS system. It's aggravating for them when the loco is demo'd to see a bunch of cool features that they can't access when they get home and put it on their DCC system.

They seem to be attempting the O scale mentality of single branded layouts in HO scale. I don't think that will go over too well and we all know that it definitely won't work in N scale.

More options are always better, but not if we have start all over to control the product.
Tony Hines

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +534
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 03:41:36 AM »
I asked them about N scale about two years ago. The guy summarily dismissed me while talking to a few O scale guys by saying something to the effect of "We won't produce anything in a toy scale".

Not that I mind.
'In my great and unmatched wisdom'

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1549
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 08:12:59 AM »
Funny that the company that brought you choo choos that chuff chuff and blow smoke all over the room consider N scale a "Toy"...
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +137
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 09:00:46 AM »
I asked them about N scale about two years ago. The guy summarily dismissed me while talking to a few O scale guys by saying something to the effect of "We won't produce anything in a toy scale".

Not that I mind.

i spoke to them  months ago at chantilly... and they were very willing to discuss it, said the technology was transferrable, and that it was being looked into.

seperate the discussion from "do you like MTH or Not" into 1) can it be done 2) is there a demand (by the market 3) is there an desire for it to be done (by MTH)

everyone has ther own opinions on MTH.

the real question is...wouldyou want to see an n scale steam engine with smoke coming out of the stack (that wasnt produced by a dcc decoder being fried)

;)

i, for one, would buy a k4 that steamed around....

and with everyone always pleading for K4's... i dare say i wouldn't be the first in line.  and those in fron of me wouldn't ONLY be n scalers i bet.

think of the steaming n scale engine on an ho layout... it would look like a live steam park or an amusement park rr....

mmmmmmmm....

something to consider on this glorious 70 degree day

"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 09:13:20 AM »
I think they will come after they do there HO GEVO, and it will most likely be steam.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

Dave V

• Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +3975
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 09:37:40 AM »

Not that I mind.

That's a very maddening answer.  But then, these reps at shows often pop off without necessarily representing the company's true feelings or vision.  I'm not saying that's what happened here, but it does happen.

I'd wager that if MTH determined money could be made they'd do anything.  My feelings about the company have been softened by their victory over UP.  If they did an N scale K4 I'd buy one, simple as that.
Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: How long till MTH attempts N scale?
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 11:18:19 AM »
I put MTH in the same category as PWRS, PCM, The Freight Yard, and TexNRails. 

So, my answer: hopefully never.

N-Scale has been built on the support of the smaller guys churning out great products.  I'd hate to see any of them get "lawyer'ed out of business."
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +206
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 01:03:35 PM »
 My feelings about the company have been softened by their victory over UP.

???
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

Dave V

• Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +3975
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 01:08:25 PM »
 My feelings about the company have been softened by their victory over UP.

???

Google it.
Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
Re: How long till MTH attempts N scale?
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 04:09:20 PM »
Wonder how their 4-12-2 would fair in N, and what size curves would you need to run it ?