Author Topic: RANT: I've been sold by Model Railroader  (Read 4839 times)

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +59
Re: RANT: I've been sold by Model Railroader
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2010, 01:16:20 PM »
Don't buy anything out of the Walther's catalogue and after a year or so, the mailings will cease.

Email will continue though. That costs zero.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +69
    • Conrail's Portland Line
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 01:17:53 PM »
Don't buy anything out of the Walther's catalogue and after a year or so, the mailings will cease.

Negatory, I have not ordered anything from Walthers in about 7 years and they still send me the catalogs.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +254
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2010, 01:25:11 PM »

Negatory, I have not ordered anything from Walthers in about 7 years and they still send me the catalogs.

I've been getting for the better part of this century, never bought a damn thing!

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +906
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2010, 01:28:05 PM »

In Soviet Russia, You don't spend money at Walthers...Walthers spends money on you! ;D ;D

Pud, give the Walthers flyer to that kid that you built the layout for...he'll probably be thrilled to look at 'em.  I spent hours with the old Tyco catalogs, circling what I wanted.

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Respect: +610
    • THE IMPOSSIBLE RAILROAD
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2010, 01:39:39 PM »
What did they write about FLOQUIL? That the cans for a few years sucked, when they switched from the old to new cans in the early 2000's?
Chuck Geiger
Page, AZ
provencountrypd@gmail.com

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +3267
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2010, 01:41:42 PM »

In Soviet Russia, You don't spend money at Walthers...Walthers spends money on you! ;D ;D

Pud, give the Walthers flyer to that kid that you built the layout for...he'll probably be thrilled to look at 'em.  I spent hours with the old Tyco catalogs, circling what I wanted.

For me it was the old Bachmann catalogs... I loved those things.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +69
    • Conrail's Portland Line
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2010, 01:42:46 PM »

Pud, give the Walthers flyer to that kid that you built the layout for...he'll probably be thrilled to look at 'em.  I spent hours with the old Tyco catalogs, circling what I wanted.

For me it was the old Bachmann catalogs... I loved those things.

For me it was that crappy newspaper Model RR catalog...I cant remember its name right now

EDIT: Standard Hobby Supply
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 01:45:38 PM by Ian MacMillan »
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2010, 04:09:31 PM »
   For Me it was the monthly newsletter from Model Railroad Equipment Corp. in New York. It was just the N Scale list. This shop was run for years by Carmin Webster a pioneering women in the model railroad importing field. Later it was newsletters from Brooklyn Locomotive Works and Tex-N-Rails when Wick Brandon had his shop in Texas. Nate Goodman (Nato). "The Thrill is Gone !"

hnipper

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2010, 10:40:24 PM »
FWIW, here is the link to the Kalmbach "Privacy Policy":

http://corporate.kalmbach.com/en/Contact%20Us/Privacy%20Policy/2008/06/Kalmbach%20Publishing%20Co%20Privacy%20Policy.aspx

Bottom line, contact Customer Service to "opt out".

Henry
Way out here in Uncle Pete's land.....

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • http://www.featherrivertrains.com
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2010, 11:58:59 PM »
Actually, I'd welcome any number of hobby catalogs in the mail compared what just happened to me this morning. eBay called me on my work line to advertise a limited-time rate reduction offer for new listings (yeah, right--doesn't even compensate for their rate hike!). Now, I'm seeing RED. This is unacceptable. I've been digging through their privacy policy to see if they have a loophole that allows them to phone-spam their customers.

Got that call as well and have not stopped fuming since. Also got a text message on my cell phone from them and I don't know how they got that number. I am really pissed off. They have already heard from me via their customer service line.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +2749
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2010, 12:52:19 AM »
I've been a subscriber to Model Railroader for about thirty years, so, therefore, I received my copy of the Walthers catalog today... er, yesterday (it's now after midnight).  It's already in the trash.  Not a great selection within and the pricing is not competitive with my usual sources.

Dave

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +3344
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2010, 01:21:02 AM »
Guess my catalog is out in the mail box and it's cold out. I'll throw it out tomorrow, I never even flip through it.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +272
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2010, 07:55:06 AM »
FWIW, here is the link to the Kalmbach "Privacy Policy":

http://corporate.kalmbach.com/en/Contact%20Us/Privacy%20Policy/2008/06/Kalmbach%20Publishing%20Co%20Privacy%20Policy.aspx

Bottom line, contact Customer Service to "opt out".

Henry

That policy is BS.......I should not have to "opt out" of having my information sold, I sould be asked to "opt in" and that's what my letter told them. yes; it's their policy; but as the subscription was a gift I wasn't able to react to it. That nothwithstanding, I stand by my original point - MR/Walthers... more than kissin cousins...they've crossed "that line" in my opinion.............
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2010, 08:49:13 AM »
What did they write about FLOQUIL? That the cans for a few years sucked, when they switched from the old to new cans in the early 2000's?

I wasn't a revue, back in the 1950's they ran an article on painting steam locomotives with stove polish (applied with of all things a perfume atomizer  :) )

The author stated that it gave a smoother thinner and flatter finish then the hobby brands...

Floquil was so upset they pulled their ads from the Magazine (and apparently Al Kalmbach's response was "Sorry to hear that, that's too bad")

Speaks alot of who MR was/is being run for....
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2010, 09:06:25 AM »
Unlike most of you who've commented on my post, my mailings stopped. My MR subscription is through 2011, so it's not like I'm in the netherworld at Waukesha.  For some of you, looks like I'm lucky.

Same thing with the Dream-Plan-Build unsolicted mailing to subscribers. Was pestered to pay for it or send back for months. Finally called their customer service desk (which I think is very efficient and friendly) and requested they cease. It was done.

Unfortunately, the cards are dealt to us that the consumer has to opt out of these things. Even the national no-call list was set up where the consumer had to initiate the request.