Author Topic: Sharpening Xacto blades  (Read 4670 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1250
Sharpening Xacto blades
« on: February 11, 2010, 09:06:33 AM »
I decided to try sharpening some old xacto blades in my Benchmade knife sharpener. The results were nothing short of amazing. The newly sharpened blades can fillet painters tape freehand, a task virtually impossible with even factory sharpened blades. The result was even more impressive with some old high carbon surgical blades. They are positively the sharpest thing I have ever encountered. The extra sharp blades work well when cutting numberboard decals. The surgical blades are best suited for this because of their thinner profile.

I even successfully reserected a few broken tipped blades by filing the blunt edge of the blade to recreate a tip, then sharpened like usual. The sharpener costs all of $20. The carbide shaving blades should be good for several hundred blades.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/985061X
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

bsoplinger

Re: Sharpening Xacto blades
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 09:21:47 AM »
Interesting link. I see they offer the same 2 models without the Harley-Davenson logo also which is the one I'd get.

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 11:15:39 AM »
I use a sharpening stone...

But if I didn't have one on hand I'd consider one of those gadgets in the link.

It does save a lot on blades.

billincarmel

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 01:43:34 PM »
Back around 1961, an industrial tool using the exact same principal was being sold. It was much larger and was sold for deburring edges of thin metal. It could also sharpen regular knives. How do I know this..I sold them in Ft. Wayne during my short career in industrial cutting tool and grinding wheel sales.
The Totally Inferior Modeler

UP1996

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 11:07:04 AM »
UP1996 wife purchased something very similar from QVC a couple of years ago. I"m going to have to try
and find it and give it a try. I never thought of using it for hobby blades. Thanks for the idea.

Walkercolt

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 04:43:03 AM »
I've been using 800 "grit" diamond sharpening blocks I use for my wood plane irons and wood chisels on hobby knife blades for years. If I want one REALLY sharp, I use my Japanese water stones then my straight razor strop. (Yes, I've used an Otto Fromme straight razor since I was 18 everyday. And I can and have shaved in the dark, and I never nick myself. I also use a cup and soap block too.) X-atco blades ain't that sharp from the factory, IMHO. I've been buying Harbor Freight Chinese blades for $6.00 for 100, and spend time in front of the TV putting a real edge on them. PS: Any tool-guy can tell you stainless steel makes a terrible cutting instrument. My Great-grand-mother's Case cutting knife is spring steel and will rust in minutes, but it will hold an edge like no knife sold in 80 years will. 8)

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 04:08:58 PM »
Hi Daniel,  I'm getting an "Item Not Found" error with the link.  Is your sharpener one of these:

985061F 60-Degree Inclusive Angle/ Honing Surface/ V-Notch for Fish Hooks/ Lanyard
Retail Price: $25.00     

985062F  H-D®/ 60-Degree Inclusive Angle/ Lanyard Hole    
Retail Price: $20.00    

983902F 60-Degree Inclusive Angle/ Honing Surface/ V-Notch for Fish Hooks/ Lanyard Hole    
Retail Price: $25.00

983903F 60-Degree Inclusive Angle/ Lanyard Hole    
Retail Price:    $20.00

Thanks,
Ed

Bangorboy

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 09:23:20 PM »
I had the same problem.  The link works if you knock off the X on the end.  Go figure.

Bill B
South Okaloosa N Scalers

Hi Daniel,  I'm getting an "Item Not Found" error with the link.  Is your sharpener one of these:

Bill B
Drole & Lake Connick RR
N Scaling in South Okaloosa

bsoplinger

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 10:50:21 PM »
I got the non Harley Davidson branded version of 60-Degree Inclusive Angle/ Lanyard Hole. I like it. Sharpens all sorts of knives.

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 08:18:23 AM »
Some that also works is a good 'ol fashioned sharpening block.  With that I can sharpen my chisel blades as well.