Author Topic: So it is true - New MR N Layout is for Kato  (Read 7890 times)

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2412
So it is true - New MR N Layout is for Kato
« on: January 29, 2010, 06:18:50 PM »
Kato'ed up for sure...
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
Re: So it is true - New MR N Layout is for Kato
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 06:48:45 PM »
I like the ad where you can buy all the track to build that layout... only $760  :o

How to build a layout:

1. win the lottery
2. buy the layout

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 08:39:06 PM »
It does look like the layout used in the Kato advertising.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 10:12:39 PM »
I think there was an article in the prior month that spelled out all of the parameters for the project layout.  One of them was sectional track and I think it was supposed to be code 80.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 10:40:46 PM »
You know, it's hard for me to find anything really sinister about MR partnering with Kato on this.  Yes, one of the MR requirements for this layout was that Dick Christiansen use Kato's new double track superelevated Unitrack.

It's a neat little layout and I think it really highlights one of N scale's major strengths (modern railroading in a small space).  The price tag for the track pack is shocking, but hopefully the whole concept of the layout gets people thinking, planning, and taking N scale seriously.  You could do this plan in Atlas code 55 or ME code 55 with concrete ties and make it look even better (for starters, you could loosen up that rigid Unitrack geometry).

Nah, I'm liking MR in this case.  If partnering with Kato gets them the track, locos, and Maxi-stacks to make a nice N scale project layout, then that's fine by me.

Big4Man

• Crew
  • "They say I'm crazy but I have a good time..."
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
It was obvious to me it was a KATO gift after the first few paragraphs in the 1st part of this series. Kato Track, Kato Western Scenery, Kato Western Prototype; ad nauseum. The bottom line of this is.....well, the bottom line. Kato has consistantly advertised on the inside cover of this magazine as far back as I can remember. You pay the $$$, you get the perks.
  Now if MR really wanted to show what N-scale is capable of, they would have a feature layout with Chris333's beautifully handlayed turnouts and being run by one or two of Ednadloski's super-detailed lokeys.  :o
but I digress....

It's all good!

Dan

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 12:17:17 AM »
Now if MR really wanted to show what N-scale is capable of, they would have a feature layout with Chris333's beautifully handlayed turnouts and being run by one or two of Ednadloski's super-detailed lokeys.

And after that series, 90 percent of N-scalers, and about 50 percent of HO-scalers, would quit the hobby, having lost all hope of ever being able to build "a layout like that one in the magazine." :)
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 01:51:28 AM »
I agree with Dave that this series serves a useful function.  I also agree that the Unitrack geometry is way too rigid for this type of setting, but I totally like the super-elevation in the March issue's opening tunnel shot (which features Walthers' double-stack gear, not Kato's, BTW).

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 02:17:12 AM »
More power to them. Unitrak has saved 5 customers at our store this season that were in process of building N scale layouts. They got started and realized; they couldn't stand Bachmann EZ track, were afraid to ballast snap track, and had zero skill for laying flex track, let alone the idea of handlaying track. They were ready to give up and I showed them Unitrak. Three of the five layouts are up and running already. All of these customers would have quit if it wasn't for Unitrak.

Unitrak isn't pretty but it does work, and it works well. For those without the skill or patients to learn to lay track properly, it allows them to build a functioning layout in a relatively short period of time.
Tony Hines

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 02:34:04 AM »
More power to them. Unitrak has saved 5 customers at our store this season that were in process of building N scale layouts. They got started and realized; they couldn't stand Bachmann EZ track, were afraid to ballast snap track, and had zero skill for laying flex track, let alone the idea of handlaying track. They were ready to give up and I showed them Unitrak. Three of the five layouts are up and running already. All of these customers would have quit if it wasn't for Unitrak.

Unitrak isn't pretty but it does work, and it works well. For those without the skill or patients to learn to lay track properly, it allows them to build a functioning layout in a relatively short period of time.

And that's what keeps the hobby going. Good products, good marketing. Can't knock them for that
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 03:06:06 AM »
I have nothing against unitrack, but dang it sure is an expensive way to get into the hobby.

And yes it just has to be better than Bachmann's EZ track.

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 03:11:24 AM »
There are a lot of people out there, that unlike us, have more money than time. The time saved by using Unitrak is worth more to them than the cost of the track.
Tony Hines

FrankCampagna

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 04:09:21 AM »
There are a lot of people out there, that unlike us, have more money than time. The time saved by using Unitrak is worth more to them than the cost of the track.

Absolutely true. Beside, after a while, some of them are going to look at it and say, "Hmmm, that doesn't look quite right." Then they start looking at real track and trains, get out some paint, scenery material, and whatever, and start on the road to more realistic modeling. Model railroading is a journey with many paths to heaven.

Frank
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1529
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 07:39:54 AM »
My friend Shaun is building a version of this layout using his existing supply of Unitrack:

http://www.upmodelrailroad.com/

Given that he lost his job, moved home, pays rent and a mortgage in Houston, I'd say that using his existing track to build this railroad has kept him in the hobby.  Can't fault MR or Kato for that!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 09:04:53 AM »

I don't know .. if it is properly painted, ballasted, and scenicked, it can look pretty good .. look at what John Sing did .. that slider track piece is pretty ingenious .. now if they can just figure out how to do some "flex" track