Author Topic: DCC Question  (Read 1739 times)

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
DCC Question
« on: October 28, 2008, 09:10:20 AM »
Was checking out some of my old passenger equipment the other day.  The Atlas 10-6 with lighting.  The car lights worked but the 3 different locos I tried using didn't.  After removing the Atlas car, the locos worked fine (DCC equipped).  What could be causing this?

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: DCC Question
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 09:24:48 AM »
That's weird...  The only thing I can figure is the car lighting is drawing a ton of amps... which isn't likely.  I have several lights that operate off of the track power, and a couple of lighted cabooses (LED) and they don't pose any problems to the track power...

I wonder if you installed a TF-4 function decoder in the lighted car (which would put control of the lighting into the DCC system) if that would help?

Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 10:36:53 AM »
Just an off the wall idea, the lighted car might be being detected by the DCC command station as a short ?

How is the lighting in the car done, bulbs or LEDs ?

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 04:59:18 PM »
If it was detecting the lighted car as a short, wouldn't it kill the track power preventing it from lighting up?
Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
  • Respect: +1886
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 05:46:10 PM »
If it was detecting the lighted car as a short, wouldn't it kill the track power preventing it from lighting up?
Lee

It depends.  You know that coin trick that is suggested to test if you have enough feeders to get a good signal over your entire layout?

Dave

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
A Proud HOer

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 11:07:40 PM »
Well, unless Bob's made considerable progress on his layout, I think he's using a test loop of Unitrak....  I don't think he's got any remote track getting bad signal...  But you're right, that could be an issue under other circumstances.
L
Route of the Alpha Jets

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 06:38:54 AM »
Problem solved.  I just yanked the lights out.  I actually have a one track main line with some sidings completed although its not permanently in place yet.

bsoplinger

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 03:10:42 PM »
My guess on your problem, although you solved it by removing the lighting, is that their might be a capacitor in the setup which actually bridges the 2 sides of the circuit. A number of locos have these to help deal with RC interference they can cause and perhaps the lights in the car have something similar.