Author Topic: It's Mystery  (Read 2046 times)

DocGeoff

• Crew
  • DocGeoff in CC, TX
  • Respect: 0
It's Mystery
« on: October 29, 2008, 11:35:58 PM »
One of my Intermountain F7's had an apparent decoder malfunction and would only run full throttle either direction. I replaced the offending decoder last night. Now the F7 only runs very slowly. It will not respond to re-sets of CV2,6,5. No matter what I set the speed doesn't change. This F7 runs at half the speed of it's sister F7.
My question, is this a loco mechanism problem, or an internal problem in the F7, or a second bad decoder problem? Or should I send the offending loco back to Intermountain? When purchased these two ran together, speed matched wonderfully?????
Please help,
Doc
Doc,
Imagineer, Owner & Operator
of the nearly famous "No Name RR

scootbird

Re: It's Mystery
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 01:15:53 AM »
Would help to know what brand decoder before and after along with any consist info to give you a direction in which to look.

Mike

DocGeoff

• Crew
  • DocGeoff in CC, TX
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 09:54:33 AM »
The decoders are both Digitrax DN163l1C's. I didn't connect the headlight to this unit since it runs facing the reverse when consisted with the other F7. I tried several re-programs of CV3,6,5, increasing the number each time. Very little difference. When I run the two F7's on the same track, facing the same way (not coupled) the good unit will keep pace with the offending unit with the good one at a 12 on the throttle and the bad at a throttle setting of 32. That is the speed difference. I use 120 speed steps on a Digitrax Super Chief system.
Thanks for the help,
Geoffrey
Doc,
Imagineer, Owner & Operator
of the nearly famous "No Name RR

scootbird

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 08:45:19 PM »
I have had this happen a couple of times when I consisted locos and then when I removed the consisted locos to run solo and had not "killed" the consist.  Two options....the easiest would be to set CV57 on the "slow" loco to decimal 36 or option two would be to reset both decoders by entering decimal 8 into CV8 on both and starting over.  I would try the 57 route first.....hope this helps.  Let me know how it goes.

Mike

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 11:04:46 PM »
If it runs okay out of consist, you could just address it the same as the lead F7, then set CV 29 to 33 to reverse the normal ops direction...  Just a thought.  I did that with my Atlas/Lenz decoders that gave me a problem with consisting.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 02:59:33 PM »
If it runs okay out of consist, you could just address it the same as the lead F7, then set CV 29 to 33 to reverse the normal ops direction...  Just a thought.  I did that with my Atlas/Lenz decoders that gave me a problem with consisting.

Lee

Kinda defeats the whole flexibility of consisting though, when you really should be able to use any engines in any combination. :) That decoder behaviour sounds a little wonky.  :-\