Author Topic: Weekend Update 10-19-2008  (Read 5133 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +496
Weekend Update 10-19-2008
« on: October 19, 2008, 08:30:17 AM »
Not much modeling for me this week, but I did finish a couple of videos on how to build a layout.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +236
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Weekend Update 10-19-2008
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 09:15:05 AM »
Moving on from the brewery on the Northhill section I've started re-vamping a lumber yard. The yard was built by the former owner and he used the Walthers kit. The buildings were well made but plain; very little detail and the placement of the rail loading ramp cut off other industries by fouling the switch.

I moved the ramp; removed the rest of the buildings and began to "renovate"....

This is the general lay of the yard - it's sandwiched between the main road and siding - it will be viewed from both sides so details must be placed strategically.

I added an office and repair shop to what is now called "MacFadyen's Kilt Bilt Building Center and Contracting"....

For some reason that building is one of the most attractive one's made in plastic to me - have no idea why.

I've weathered all the structures; added detials such as lumber in different lifts and sizes; added the normal amount of "junk" ( barrels, crates, pallets, etc.... there's more to come) and started to add a fleet of vehicles. To me the vehicles are what adds the action to the scene.

The yard is served by a siding that will unload at both the outdoor ramp and yard building with a siding door. A lot more trackside work is needed but it's coming....

Anyway; the "Kilt Bilt" yard will be a good switching option as various boxcars and flats can come and go there......

I also expanded the small but always growing PVR fleet with some ex WM (soon to be Chessie hand me downs ?) boxcars....hey, they were a bargin !!!!!!

(PS: Lee's already complained..... and not only about the trucks - hey, that's what MT ( and the WM) sent them with - LOL !)
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 09:32:11 AM »
I was thinking that Lee was going to go gunning for your before I read the last sentence of your post. 

Was it common for CP to ship lumber is plug door boxcars?

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +182
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 09:40:32 AM »
I am soon to have my revenge:  I bought some WM 55 ton hoppers that I am going to use to do extended height NS woodchip hoppers.

I've also begun demolishing my new brass DS4-4-660.  As of now, the end handrails, roof hatches, horn, and most of the mechanism are gone.  The locomotive ran decently, but was far too loud and drew too much current.  I'm going to try something using the Atlas VO trucks and Victor's PCB mechanism.  The locomotive will be receiving a decoder and lights as well.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 10:04:15 AM »
I finally bit the bullet and went for it.  Installing DCC in my LL SW9 

The hardest part was rebuilding how the power pickup is done.

I recycled part of the light board from my kato NW2, so I could have more room there.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +236
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 10:15:47 AM »
No; not generally speaking would lumber have been shipped in 40' plugs however I have seen it happen in some mid 1970's photo's as the CPR ( ok, CP rail) had serious rolling stock and power shortages.... ( how else can you explain CGW F units heading up CPR freights in the dead of winter....?) In the interior of B.C. there were some unique uses of cars; the "make due" rule was in effect for sure....

In reality those cars were just sitting there..... I'd have preferred some bulkhead end flats but....
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +744
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 10:44:07 AM »
Wheels Of Time RPO kit mod is done . I am now working on a Generator / Lighting car for W&LG MOW service .

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +744
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 11:09:26 AM »
John , do I have to wear a majic ring to see that video ? Is that you ? I imagined you as an older person .

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Your choice for ANAL...
  • Respect: +1974
    • DKS Home
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 11:13:54 AM »
John , do I have to wear a majic ring to see that video ? Is that you ? I imagined you as an older person .

No, they have embedding blocked. Use the links in this thread:

http://therailwire.net/smf/index.php/topic,16815.0.html
"Life's a piece of sh!t when you look at it."
                                       —Monty Python

absnut

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 11:35:21 AM »
Decals came this week and I finished up my version of Amtrak's "Downeaster".  Proper decals are not available in N so I used MicroScale's Ph. IV Amfleet set on the cabbage.  I have a photo of it in Rigby Yard in this livery.  The cabbage is a reworked LL F40 with the "prime mover" removed, just like the original (how's that for prototypical accuracy?) ::)

Caleb Austin

• Crew
  • Respect: +336
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 12:38:30 PM »
Sorry Lee. ;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 01:02:36 PM by envirodude »

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +516
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 01:29:08 PM »

Working my way through all the special repaints by Conrail. Up next is the United Way SD40-2. I'm still trying to locate my Conrail Nike GP15 slides to make custom decals
"My great and unmatched wisdom."

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 01:59:10 PM »
I am soon to have my revenge:  I bought some WM 55 ton hoppers that I am going to use to do extended height NS woodchip hoppers.

Hey, Knucklehead, I still have a bunch of NS cars that haven't been scavenged yet... Perhaps we meet at the Brandenburg Gate and arrange a swap...

Dr. No

Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 02:42:39 PM »
No; not generally speaking would lumber have been shipped in 40' plugs however I have seen it happen in some mid 1970's photo's as the CPR ( ok, CP rail) had serious rolling stock and power shortages.... ( how else can you explain CGW F units heading up CPR freights in the dead of winter....?) In the interior of B.C. there were some unique uses of cars; the "make due" rule was in effect for sure....

In reality those cars were just sitting there..... I'd have preferred some bulkhead end flats but....

In the 1970s and 1980s CN and CP still had oodles of 40' boxcars that were used for all sorts of services. A lot of double door 40' boxcars definately went into dedicated lumber service thanks to the nice big door opening, but any 40' boxcar could still have been used.

The only plug-door CP 40' cars I can think of were insulated/heated cars and some cars with special grain doors (with small loading doors in the top 1/3 of the plug door), which probably wouldn't have been used for lumber. Actually the model itself is a minor foobie (of course) - the number belongs on a overhead bunker ice refrigerator car rather than a standard boxcar.
That said, regardless of the wrong number on it (manufacturer_research++) the model seems to represent a standard boxcar with plug door, so why not load it with lumber? :)

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 02:50:58 PM »
I was at the club Saturday afternoon, here's the results of our efforts. All the plywood and risers were already cut out previously (well, mostly, we made a few more risers when we ran out and cut the raised piece in the middle) and the two pieces with ties laid on them had also been prepared before. We just assembled it all and started roughing in the scenery. Since the scene is so deep here (5 feet!) we're putting this together off-location and then moving it into place when the scenery at the back is done so we can actually reach it to work on it.

Here's where it will go:

Here's another section we're working on getting finished off. This is in a difficult corner - the tracks swing around and disapear. Using the backdrop behind allows us to avoid the whole hole-in-wall thing here. The scenery sections on either side of the track are being finished off as pieces that will be dropped in and the edges hidden with ballast.