Author Topic: Rail Model Journal Follow Up  (Read 1519 times)

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
Rail Model Journal Follow Up
« on: August 23, 2008, 02:28:23 AM »
  I Finally recieved my letter today from Rail Model Journal that the June Issue already out was the last one ever. My Railroad Model Craftsman subscription, which I just renewed for two years has further been extended with credit from the defunct RMJ I was part way thru a two year RMJ sub.                              Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 03:48:12 PM by 3rdrail »

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
Re: Rail Model jouran Follow Up
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 08:56:26 AM »
RMJ was a good magazine and an excellent source for prototype information.  The problem I ran into was that I could never find a shop in western N.C. that carried it.  As long as they have the article Index for the various prototypes that they have covered available on line I am sure that it will be of use to fight with others to get back issues (going after a couple pretty quick because of some pulpwood car articles)... but just as a back-up I think that I will go ahead and save the various article Indices, just in case.

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
Re: Rail Model Journal Follow Up
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 07:30:18 PM »
I really enjoyed Rail Model Journal when it first came out in the early 90's (1991 I think).  They did a lot of prototype articles that were relevant to Northeast railroads.  Eventually, I lost interest since the prototype articles were less and less relevant to my modeling era and area (late 70's / early 80's Conrail in Pennsylvania).  I haven't had a subscription for that magazine since 1999.  Marriage and remodeling put an end to that, and replaced it with This Old House.  I hope that Model Railroader will start to run articles about prototype cars like RMJ did.  This is a niche that needs filled.  Are there any online sources for this type of information?  If anyone knows of any, please share.
Jeff Lopez

Walkercolt

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 12:24:59 AM »
Jeff, the various and sundry RR historical societies web-sites are a great help, or the historical societies that don't have web-sites (getting fewer everyday) are of help for a nominal charge. Often the hardest part is finding the histoical society that now has the "Armpit and Eastern", because it was absorbed by the "Sweatshirt and Southern", then the "Southern and Boondock", and is now listed with the Conrail society. Make sense? Google is not always our best freind on these things. Getting to the right site can be down-right frustrating.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 09:04:18 AM »
RMJ always seemed to have a soft spot for Pennsy.  I bought several issues with Pennsy layouts or info, although it was usually HO.  Their layout features were great!  Way better photo coverage than MR.  Now, every shot wasn't contest-quality, but you got more of them and plenty of the overall layout views.  RMJ will be missed.