Author Topic: Railfanning Ohio on way to N scale convention  (Read 1955 times)

shark_jj

Railfanning Ohio on way to N scale convention
« on: June 19, 2008, 11:07:54 AM »
My buddy and I have made a last minute decision to take in a few days of the N scale convention.  We will be leaving Ontario through Fort Erie/Buffalo.  We will probably stop off at NorthEast for a bit and then continue on 90 to Cleveland and down 71 through Cincinnati to Louisville.  We have been to Marion previously, does anyone have any other suggestions for railfanning that would be safe and not too far off our route?

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5403
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Railfanning Ohio on way to N scale convention
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 11:28:15 AM »
Don't stop in Cleveland... The rental car company will charge you for the hubcaps if they get stolen...
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:01:36 PM »
there is plenty to see in Columbus, just not sure how easy it is to get to these days.  Cincinnati has a nice bridge over the river that sees traffic. 
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

David Leonard

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 07:17:24 PM »
I-90 goes right by Conneaut OH. Check maps and aerial photos online to find spots. If you have a scanner, tune it to NS, CSX and B&LE.

keystonecrossings

• Crew
    • Middle Division Musings
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 09:28:33 PM »
Cincinnati rocks as a railroad town. We had the PRRT&HS annual meeting there a few years ago and it was awesome.

And check out the "Cincinnati Chili" -- you'll never think the same of chili... excellent!
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 12:23:52 AM »
Don't stop in Cleveland... The rental car company will charge you for the hubcaps if they get stolen...
Lee

Bah, you pansy. If they don't stop in Cleveland, they can't eat lunch at Shooters in the Flats. Their deck has an EXCELLENT view of the ex-NYC lift bridge over the Cuyahoga that now carries the NS Chicago Line.

But if you're like Lee and are afraid of anything remotely urban, hit up Berea instead. It's right off the highway, and you'll probably see 4-5 trains an hour there.
Sean

Mark4

• Crew
    • http://www.mark4design.com
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 02:01:51 AM »
Bellevue, Marion, Fostoria.

shay6

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 11:44:15 AM »
http://www.cincyrails.com/

This site has info on/directions to Cincinnati area railfan sites.  Haven't checked them all out myself, but I know that the Winton Place and B&O warehouse locations aren't far from where you will hit I-75 as you head south on I-71.

Navigation on the site is a little funky - click the articles/features link to get to the railfan guide link.

Jeff

POVC

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 11:08:11 PM »
Well, I wrote a long response last night, and when I hit post discovered my internet connection had crapped out and refused to come back.... unfortunately I don't have time to repeat it tonight.  :'(

Couple of things though:
1. If you can find a copy of Trains September 2002 edition, it had a trackside guide to Cincinnati included as a supplement.
2. The McDonald's in Hamilton is a good place to have lunch and see trains; the CSX Toledo sub and the NS New Castle district share tracks through Hamilton.  All northbound traffic uses the CSX tracks; southbound the NS tracks.  The interchange is at Butler Street, behind the McDonald's.
3. CSX Queensgate Yard and the NS Gest Yard are side-by-side just west of Cincinnati and parallel I-75.  This is a HUGE yard complex.  Don't miss Union Terminal if you go there.
4. The CSX bridge to Convington KY is right next to the I-71/I-75 bridge downtown.  The NS bridge is further west.

Enjoy

Tim

shark_jj

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 11:16:41 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys, I have been Googling the locations.