Author Topic: Weekend Update 2/24/2008  (Read 4497 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +511
Weekend Update 2/24/2008
« on: February 24, 2008, 05:58:46 AM »
Its that time again ...

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +77
    • TrainCat Model Sales
Re: Weekend Update 2/24/2008
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 10:12:02 AM »
I finished working on the artwork for our first piece of rolling stock, a 45ft Cholrine Car.  Here are a couple of pics w/ & w/o the cholrine tanks. I am now working on the masters for the castings that will adorn the bottom of the car.

Regards
Bob Knight

TrainCat Model Sales

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +744
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 10:25:55 AM »
Wow wow and double wow ! Oh boy , do I ever want and well get that car . Decals ?

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 10:52:03 AM »
Finished off my Brake Sled at long last and took a few photos.

3rdrail

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 10:54:42 AM »
I finished working on the artwork for our first piece of rolling stock, a 45ft Cholrine Car.  Here are a couple of pics w/ & w/o the cholrine tanks. I am now working on the masters for the castings that will adorn the bottom of the car.

Ohboy, ohboy, ohboy, OHBOY!! I started scratchbuilding one of these about five years ago and got sidetracked. Got as far as the basic flat body made out of sheet brass.

I'll definitely be in the market for a couple!  8) 8) 8)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +714
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 10:55:27 AM »
Awesome, Bob. Are the wheels and trucks your own work too?

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Proactive advocate of truthiness
  • Respect: +139
    • Modutrak
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 11:12:31 AM »
Wow, sprung trucks in N scale... ;) ;) :-X
Mike

www.modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure...

Dave V

• Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +3794
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 11:37:27 AM »

Westbound Train 33, the St Louisan, passes an eastbound symbol freight at M Interlocking in East Mifflin, PA, in August 1956.  Most of the Pennsy's Blue Ribbon Fleet pass through East Mifflin in darkness, so Train 33, departing Harrisburg at 3:36 PM, is a favorite for photographers.  Passenger trains rarly stop here at East Mifflin anymore; the PRR Class B passenger waiting shelter, though well-maintained, lies unused most days.

Meanwhile, at Lewisport, PA, local M9 (operated today by H10sb Class 2-8-0 #8756) spots a PRR X29 Merchandise Service boxcar at the freight station platform.  A PRR delivery truck waits for the crossing to clear.
Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +744
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 12:42:30 PM »
Having powered 6 Island Modelworks LIRR MP-75's with Kato RDC drives , I have moved onto the unpowered MP-72's of which I plan on doing 5 . One side of the car has a single window near one door , the other has double windows on both sides . The underbody details differ on each side . I have less than desirable shots , but from what the shadows and highlights show , this are the major bumps and lumps . The floor itself is a gallon can wood paint stirrer 1/8 inch thick , free from the orange box at the mall . The MTL trucks have had their plastic wheels replaced with metal Atlas ones . Gold Metal Models heavyweight steps , a,equipment door from the Kato RDC was used and boxed out . Barrels for air tanks and cheap plastic crates with their detail filed off are the rest on the stuff .

On another note for those interested in the MP-54 , I see 3 versions now , one with the clerestory roof that has been requested by so many here , in the works . 

Opie

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 01:17:56 PM »
I kept working on laying cork and track.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

scootbird

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 01:23:27 PM »

Awesome!  Nice work

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Respect: +552
    • THE IMPOSSIBLE RAILROAD
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 01:39:37 PM »
Spent Saturday at the Golden Empire Model Railroad Club in Bakersfield. We had a PCR/NMRA convention meeting there and took a picture of thier HO and N scale layouts. There are making some great strides with scenery there.

PCR regional convention president john Houlhan's O Scale layout:

A father and son built this modular layout N Scale:

HO layout:

N Scale layout:

« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 01:48:29 PM by chuck geiger »
Chuck Geiger
Page, AZ
provencountrypd@gmail.com

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1408
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 02:07:25 PM »
I've been putting off this project for over a year.

The concrete retaining wall and bridge have been showing up more frequently in my pictures, and I decided it was finally time to do something about it.  All that white plastic was starting to really bug me.

I'm using graphic line tape to mask off the street lines, so the first thing I did was hit it with a coat of primer, followed by some yellow on the road surface.

Once the yellow dried, I placed the mask for yellow line in the middle of the road.  I used some scale cars to estimate the lane width.  The wider lane allows for curbside parking.

Next I shot the road surface with alternating mists of grey, and flat black to get an aged asphalt look.  The paint was still pretty wet when I shot this, hence the thick appearance and sheen.  After the paint dried, I used some blue painters tape to mask off the road surface so I could paint the sidewalks and railings a concrete color.

I've got more work to do to finish the scene, including adding some weathering washes, some foliage, and maybe some climbing ivy, and a middle pier for the highway bridge.  The road surface will also be weathered in, and the patch I made for re-using the bridge will have to be painted.

I plan to finish off the scene with working street lights, and a row of building facades against the backdrop.  Then the fun stuff like parking meters, strolling pedestrians etc.  This scene will represent the city of Hagerstown, so I want it be a busy scene, even though it's relatively small.

I did some more detailing last night...  The building fronts are in for placement only.  I'll be working on fixing them up with some interior lighting etc.

http://www.wmrywesternlines.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/North_Junction_007.jpg

Lee
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 04:44:49 PM by wm3798 »
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Norm P

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 02:26:49 PM »
I'm a novice, but for what it's worth, the road surface looks good to me Lee

3rdrail

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 02:31:22 PM »
I've been putting off this project for over a year.
I plan to finish off the scene with working street lights, and a row of building facades against the backdrop.  Then the fun stuff like parking meters, strolling pedestrians etc.  This scene will represent the city of Hagerstown, so I want it be a busy scene, even though it's relatively small.

I did some more detailing last night...  The building fronts are in for placement only.  I'll be working on fixing them up with some interior lighting etc.

Lee

Lee, that crooked I beam support on the overpass spoils an otherwise excellent scene. Straighten that sucker up!  :o