Author Topic: Something to Make the SPF's happy  (Read 11524 times)

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
Something to Make the SPF's happy
« on: September 13, 2007, 07:58:25 AM »
Just a quick note, I have started the etching process for both 2 and 4-track Lines East signal bridges that have an increased width for people running track spacing that is larger than prototypical.

I just received the plans from the PRRHS for the Lines West signal bridge and will them available in Nov. These will also have an increased width.
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Re: Something to Make the SPF's happy
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 10:26:07 AM »
You are one of the very few manufacturers that keeps a ear to the rails , and puts out high quality products accordantly . You get my respect for that .

Richie Dost

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 10:40:43 AM »
Just a quick note, I have started the etching process for both 2 and 4-track Lines East signal bridges that have an increased width for people running track spacing that is larger than prototypical.

I just received the plans from the PRRHS for the Lines West signal bridge and will them available in Nov. These will also have an increased width.

i need to span 3 tracks on my N-Trak module - should i go for a standard spacing 4 track?

-'67
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

engineshop

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • http://www.engineshop.org
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 10:56:07 AM »
Bob
Any word on the Mast Signal? I know signal bridges are more exciting but with mostly single line on my layout I need those even more.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8041
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 11:05:59 AM »
And something else for the SPFs too:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=201090

TrainCat2

• Crew
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 11:10:22 AM »
And something else for the SPFs too:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=201090

I also guess you want me to go down that dark and dangerous road of M1a's and b's ???   :-X

edited: for a stupid typo
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 11:33:19 AM by TrainCat2 »
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

TrainCat2

• Crew
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 11:31:55 AM »

i need to span 3 tracks on my N-Trak module - should i go for a standard spacing 4 track?

-'67
The two track is slightly over 2.5" between the bents and the four track is 5". I might do a three track if I get enough advance reservations ....  aaahhhhh I mean requests.

Bob
Any word on the Mast Signal? I know signal bridges are more exciting but with mostly single line on my layout I need those even more.
I originally made the mast as a dummy but Tim Masyln @ ISS and I are having  N-Scale LED modules made now for  1, 2, 3, 7 & 9 LED's that can be used with my targets. This required a new design layout concerning the mast to allow all those wires to fit and the dia to be within reason. These (the brass signals not the LED's) should be ready to sell at the Timonium show.

Remember, the LED modules are JUST advance talk at this moment. The LED modules are requiring some VERY interesting design thinking to do this right [just like stated in David's article]. This is the first time that Tim or I have ever worked with .016 PC boards. AND!!!, they will have to be laser cut instead of routed as normal. The ultra-thin PCB are requred to give a believable look and to eliminate building headaches for us or the user. The LED's are SMALL, yet still have a dome on them. We have the LED's and we have a couple of working examples that have been hand wired. Our next step will either make, or break the project ... the PCB and it's cost.

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 11:49:56 AM »
would love to see Cantilevers like the ones at the top of this page:

http://www.customsignals.com/CustomSignals.asp

of course someone needs to produce drawings ...  :-X

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 11:54:17 AM »
when ya get these done let us know:

as I think I have a use ...

TrainCat2

• Crew
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 12:01:48 PM »
I just emailed your "Industrial Spy" over the weekend to see if he had got ahold of any measured drawings.

No answer yet.

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

keystonecrossings

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Middle Division Musings
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 08:39:11 PM »
But considering the G22 gons were going to be done after the G39's... and the G22's were still going to be done by the end of the summer... and the G39 still isn't shipping... and the G22 is no longer even on the web site...

When will we really have anything?

Bob, I sincerely hope you deliver. But a lot of "one man shops" have gone down the road of "Yes, I can make that" and it doesn't happen. Please, maintain the credibility. Your work is first class... no doubt about that!
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

TrainCat2

• Crew
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 09:46:24 PM »
Jerry,

I know you may want to hear this, but advance reservations ARE everything to a manufacturer to plan what and when. The G39 has two orders other than the person who wanted them made. And he said he can wait until whenever. Everyone else who said they would order them has been given the chance to place a reservation, but only two. This is the indicator that I use to put a priority on projects. Still doing the G39, but it has a much lower priority to things that I HAVE ORDERS FOR. If people want them made, put in a reservation and the priority will get bumped up. Demand = supply. If this post will get the people over to the site and order as they said, I will put future items aside and put the G39 on the fast track.

On the other hand, each project I have released in the interim has gone through several runs over the last 4 months. 320 Tankcar Platforms, 88 Single Pratt bridges, 61 NYC 2-track, 38 NYC 4-Track, I have close to 500 Mast signal sets on order. 500 Jerry, and I have not set the price yet. I have a standing order for 25 4-track PRR LE and 50 2-track. Walthers told me at NTS that they had over 350 orders for the Lines West bridge from Oregon Rails that was supposed to ship in 2004. So I am going to step up to the plate of a sure bet. Don't even start me on the Z orders!!

Lets put you in my hot seat. You have the G39 master ready, you purchased the equipment to do production runs on the hundred that people "said" they would buy. However, you have an order for two. Now, the other items have orders and you sell out of them VERY quickly. Jerry, where are you going to put your limited resources. I am bringing to market more new items per person than 75% of other manufacturers. I do all the work myself and they are made in the USA. Last year I had three products. Look at my catalog now.

BTW, here are the completed Lines East artworks now in tooling

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 10:19:20 PM »
But considering the G22 gons were going to be done after the G39's... and the G22's were still going to be done by the end of the summer... and the G39 still isn't shipping... and the G22 is no longer even on the web site...

When will we really have anything?

Bob, I sincerely hope you deliver. But a lot of "one man shops" have gone down the road of "Yes, I can make that" and it doesn't happen. Please, maintain the credibility. Your work is first class... no doubt about that!

Is there any manufaturer you don't troll?

keystonecrossings

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 06:48:50 AM »
Bob:

I believe I told you many months ago that it was my opinion the G39 would not sell well.

The good news is that I can account for 40+ units on the PRR Lines East 4-track signal bridge. I had already been talking to Bernie about this back in June-July, when you started talking about doing the bridge. So, yes, there is a market for this.

keystonecrossings

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 06:49:59 AM »
Is there any manufaturer you don't troll?

Skibbe, it is clear who the troll is... as evidenced by your clear lack of participation on TrainBoard as of late. Maybe you can get yourself kicked off here as well.