Author Topic: *Updated with track plan link* Finally started my new layout!  (Read 5199 times)

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
Well, after struggling for a couple of years trying to develop a code 80 freelanced layout, I finally succumbed to reason and pressure to go with a prototypical and operations oriented plan, with all visible track being Atlas code 55.  Instead of the freelanced Pomperaug RR, I am now modeling the Housatonic RR's operations in CT.  Once I got the basic track plan figured out, I have begun replicating actual track arrangements as they exist on the Housatonic.  I am opting for fewer, but bigger industries.  Most of the industries will take the actual number of cars as the prototype.  For example, Kimberly Clarlk will hold 4 to 5 boxcars on each of the 3 interior spur tracks inside the buildings on both the prototype and my model. 

My modeled portion of the operations begins at Pittsfield, MA, where the Housatonic interchanges with CSX.  This is represented operationally in a staging yard in a closet.  The modeled portion begins with a trackage south through Canaan, CT, with a spur running east over the old New England Central line to serve Specialty Minerals.  The tracks end just east of Specialty Minerals.

Continuing south from Canaan, the Housatonic proceeds south to New Milford, crossing the Housatonic river then serving both Kimberly Clark and AC Humko-Quality Oils and Syrups.  The Housatonic also uses the two sidings as a yard to make up trains for local delivery south to the Maybrook line, including a large transload facility it is continuing to build in Hawleyville.  It currently handles only lumber, but will be expanded to include Bulk materials in hoppers, tankers and possibly TOFC trafic.  My model will represent the expanded version. 

I started laying track last weekend and had the staging yard (yeah, it's hidden so I used my old code 80 flex and both Kato and Peco turnouts.  All visible track will be code 55, with #7 and #10 turnouts only.  This weekend I have track layed through Canaan and New Milford.  I have a temporary loop conection made up to test the trackage.  I've been running a 21 car train, with FVM lo pro wheelsets forward and backward through every turnout and crossover.  I had to replace one defective #7 turnout, but aside from that and a couple of low accumate trip pins, the track is perfoming flawlessly.  I'll keep updates coming.  For now, here are a few photos:
http://www.envprojects.com/toxie/images/modeling/Pomp%20AC%20Humko%20Quality%20Oils.JPG
http://www.envprojects.com/toxie/images/modeling/Pomp%20Canaan%20north%20to%20Pittsfield.JPG
http://www.envprojects.com/toxie/images/modeling/Pomp%20Cement%20Plant%20lookingeEast.JPG
http://www.envprojects.com/toxie/images/modeling/Pomp%20Overview%20of%20New%20Milford.JPG
http://www.envprojects.com/toxie/images/modeling/Pomp%20Specialty%20Minerals%20Cement.JPG
http://www.envprojects.com/toxie/images/modeling/Pomp%20Staging.JPG

Final spur placement will occur when I get the buildings kitbashed or scratchbuilt.  Right now there are only mock-ups.

Finally, I get to show that I really am into model railroading.

Eric
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 08:56:21 AM by Pomperaugrr »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8040
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Finally started my new layout!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 10:39:31 PM »
Awesome! The Housatonic rocks.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 07:09:25 AM »
Looking nice.  You made the right decision with regards to the track:  John has something like 5000 feet of it in his basement, and I've never seen a problem that can be blamed on the track.  Typical problems include:  Tom running CNW-style on the left, Ed hitting turnouts and shorting out the DCC, Ian running the wrong way.

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 07:51:16 AM »
Thanks Tom.

Typical problems include:  Tom running CNW-style on the left, Ed hitting turnouts and shorting out the DCC, Ian running the wrong way.

Those are the types of problems I'm anticipating too.  I love working with the code 55 track.  I did a marathon session on Saturday and completed all of the visible roadbed and track (almost 31 linear feet of layout!).  Just one defective turnout where one of the two retainer clips holding the points was missing.  The FVM wheelsets are awesome!  I just need my pusher to get more of the MT compatible ones in stock soon.

Weathering and scenery will come along eventually.  I want to get the basic layout operational first.  I'm a third of the way there.

Eric

Eric

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 11:38:18 AM »
Looks great.  I love the industrial trackwork -- lots of switching goodness in addition to mainline running!

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 08:21:13 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I'll post a track plan as I get a little further along.  I am really trying to focus on keeping the actual track arrangements and large industry sizes in a few key scenes, rather than compressing things to cram more in.  It has been 8 years since I put down any track, so I couldn't wait any longer.  :D

Any suggestions for improvements are welcome.  I'm posting progress shots, so I can make changes before getting to the ballasting and scenery stages.  I have learned a lot form all of you and I am still learning, despite having been a model railroader for 32 years so far.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 08:24:18 PM »
C55 does twist very easy .. get yourself an SD80MAC for your track test loco .. it will find all your flaws ..

160pennsy

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 02:29:48 PM »
My modeled portion of the operations begins at Pittsfield, MA, where the Housatonic interchanges with CSX.  This is represented operationally in a staging yard in a closet.  The modeled portion begins with a trackage south through Canaan, CT, sith a spur running east over the old New England Central line to serve Specialty Minerals.  The tracks end just east of Specialty Minerals.

Eric

Are you modelling the Union Station / HQ area? I Used to live in Fairfield County, CT but moved away in 2006. Did make it up to see that area during business trips to Albany, before the fire. Station in it's past glory and the surrounding town center area with the grade crossings, would make a great scene. Did they just tear down the damaged sections and leave it as is or are they going to reconstruct it as original?

http://homepage.mac.com/housatonic/canaanfire/canaanfire.htm
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 02:42:00 PM by 160pennsy »
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member
https://nrmrc.org/

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 08:13:40 AM »
160pennsy:

I will be scratchbuilding the Canaan Union Station.  The real station is being rebuilt as I type this.  The framing and shell are up, but the siding is not yet complete.  The link below shows the area looking north at the diamond.  I have a stand in station for mock-up purposes. 

The turnout to the right, just prior to the diamond leads onto the old New England Central track, which now terminates just past Specialty Minerals, which I am also including on my layout.  The water tower on the west side of the tracks, across from the Uniuon Station was taken down in 1992.  I have strong memories of exploring the tracks around that area and the water tower, so I am including it on the layout.  Where the track curves past the station will be screened by the Rt44 grade crossing and the great little downtown buildings, including the HQ on the corner.  That will be a good use for the stack of DPM buildings I have.  It is nice to hear from folks that know the area I'm modeling.
I'll post more as I make some progress.

Eric

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 09:11:06 AM »
That's going to be fun to operate.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 11:27:31 PM »
Here's a link to the current draft version of my track plan.  I am making progress on the mainline and passing sidings in the main room.  The staging yard is also in.  Tonight, the first train made it to Hawleyville, by the transload center site.  It is just mainline and the passing siding so far.  I'm holding off on final placement and alignment of industrial trackage until I get a better feel for size and placement of the many buildings I have to kitbash and scratchbuild. 

http://www.envprojects.com/toxie/images/07-27-07+Track+Plan+Version+5-2.JPG

Eric

3rdrail

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 09:18:56 AM »
..............I'm holding off on final placement and alignment of industrial trackage until I get a better feel for size and placement of the many buildings I have to kitbash and scratchbuild. 

Eric
That's exactly what I have decided to do. No sense in laying a track and then discovering the building is 1/8" too wide to fit!!

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 04:05:33 PM »
..............I'm holding off on final placement and alignment of industrial trackage until I get a better feel for size and placement of the many buildings I have to kitbash and scratchbuild. 

Eric
That's exactly what I have decided to do. No sense in laying a track and then discovering the building is 1/8" too wide to fit!!

Looks really good pompy .. my plan also .. lots of track .. no industrial sidings until I get them built .

SecretWeapon

• Crew
  • Respect: +41
Re: *Updated with track plan link* Finally started my new layout!
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 04:30:25 PM »
Looks Great !!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck. I however suggest the use of Kato's PA-1's to check your trackwork.
Mike

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
Re: *Updated with track plan link* Finally started my new layout!
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 09:13:39 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies.  I appreciate all suggestions.  Unfortunately, I don't have any of the suggested locomotives.  I have been testing the trackwork by running 20 - 24 car trains forward and backward through all switches and sidings,  The cars include empty centerbeams and everything has low profile wheelsets (mostly FVM) and truck mounted MT or Accumate couplers.

Using the temporary return loop connection, I have run a 24 car train backwards through all sidings and on the main, for over half an hour, without any derailments.  So far, I am pretty happy with the trackwork.

I'll keep updates coming as I make progress.  I appreciate all feedback and constructive criticism.  Challenges and learning from others' experience can only help me improve my skills, even though I've already been model railroading for over 30 years so far.   :)

Eric