Author Topic: Modeling the edge of the forest while hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains  (Read 3523 times)

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
Re: Modeling the edge of the forest while hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 07:33:08 PM »
To my eye
the things that so often get left out is the irregular thicket of saplings at the edge of any forest or treeline that is not maintained by man.  Even for places where the hand of man cuts the edge back nature reclaims it quickly...
Support fine modeling

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 10:06:32 PM »
Bill,

Before you judge it further, try cutting in a bright sky background instead of the dull gray. You'll be surprised at how much better it will look.
I did this real quickly. Notice how it perks up all your details.

gunner

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 10:45:05 PM »
No pics of the trip today, ceiling was about 2000' so visibility on the Parkway was about 25'.  I have one shot from last year that shows some of the transition under discussion:

We had a ball on the trainride, we sat in the lounge car for about 3 hours.

Bob

bdeuster

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 08:55:10 AM »
Pete,

Interesting difference. The areas in question still need lots of work. But you have put a few pixels (OK a lot of them) forward to show me how important the totality of the scene is. Thanks for the effort!

Gunner, pic is very helpful. Thanks.

TiVo. I was thinking that before I posted but wanted input from the experts. Now I must figure out my strategy to fine-tune and improve this baby. Thanks for the input.

Lee, I love you scenery. You are one of the many that shows their work that has inspired me to try my hand at this. I think your shots posted here are a great rendition of one of the many variations on this type of scene.

And "Research Ed"  ;D, open up that imagination. You'll get the hang of it....  LOL  (Sorry, I couldnt help myself) Seriously, what is the image in your mind that comes up when you think of this type of area and how (techniques) did you think you might approach it to capture the scene?

B