Author Topic: IMRC F-7b unit problems  (Read 9412 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +970
IMRC F-7b unit problems
« on: September 15, 2006, 08:28:02 PM »
As per the Atlas forum from RalphH post .

The top of the shell is backwards to the sides of the shell , and the chassis is put in reversed as well . IMRC has been eMailed , and Chuck was called .
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 08:29:41 PM by up1950s »

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +2130
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: IMRC F-7b unit problems
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 10:38:10 PM »
Okay,
Since most of us have enjoyed the shelling over at Atlas (pun intended) regarding this most unfortunate situation, allow me to use this space to address the Railwire's devoted cadre of reasonable modelers.  The B unit issue notwithstanding, I've discovered that the WM A-units have a very fundamental detail problem also.  They are phase I engines, which the WM had numbered 53 - 66.  IM numbered all four of the A units offered in WM in Ph. II numbers (I got 237 and 241).

The differences are subtle, the I has horizontal louvres between the portholes, and a 36" dynamic brake fan, while the II has vertical louvres and a 48" fan.  To be honest with you, when I was "making do" with Bachmann Spectrums, I didn't care and numbered them as I saw fit.  This was simplified by the fact that the Spectrum F is sort of a hybrid, with horizontal louvres and 48" fan.  I also usually picked up an A-B set for about $45, so my expectations were low to begin with.

Anyway, isn't this the kind of stuff that you and I can find on the internet in about 30 seconds?  What the heck are they paying their researchers for if they can't tell the difference between a two and three digit number??

I admit, I'm usually the first to shout down the nitpickers and naysayers when a new product is lacking in some minor way, and perhaps I'm a little more sensitive because this time it's my ox getting gored, but am I right or wrong, here?  At $70 a throw, shouldn't I at least be able to expect an accurate road number?  The worst part of it is that no one makes N scale decals for WM F units, so I can't even do the simple task of re-numbering the engines.  If I could get my hands on the right size decals, I probably wouldn't care, because it would be within my realm to fix it, just as I can put the right horns and make other modest adjustments to make the engine more accurate.

So help me out here.  Should I be smiling because close but no cigar is still close?  What do you think?

Lee

Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2902
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 11:02:16 PM »

Anyway, isn't this the kind of stuff that you and I can find on the internet in about 30 seconds?  What the heck are they paying their researchers for if they can't tell the difference between a two and three digit number??

Lee

I agree, and thats why this type of crap pushes my buttons.

I'd understand if it were before the internet, and it was an obscure railroad that didn't have reams and reams of books devoted to it, thats why I often overlook old errors in models, but it's not, it's 2006. There's this thing called due-dilligence, and these guys just didn't do it.

tokenbrit

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 11:10:14 PM »
Okay,
Since most of us have enjoyed the shelling over at Atlas (pun intended) regarding this most unfortunate situation, allow me to use this space to address the Railwire's devoted cadre of reasonable modelers.  The B unit issue notwithstanding, I've discovered that the WM A-units have a very fundamental detail problem also.  They are phase I engines, which the WM had numbered 53 - 66.  IM numbered all four of the A units offered in WM in Ph. II numbers (I got 237 and 241).

The differences are subtle, the I has horizontal louvres between the portholes, and a 36" dynamic brake fan, while the II has vertical louvres and a 48" fan.  To be honest with you, when I was "making do" with Bachmann Spectrums, I didn't care and numbered them as I saw fit.  This was simplified by the fact that the Spectrum F is sort of a hybrid, with horizontal louvres and 48" fan.  I also usually picked up an A-B set for about $45, so my expectations were low to begin with.

I admit, I'm usually the first to shout down the nitpickers and naysayers when a new product is lacking in some minor way, and perhaps I'm a little more sensitive because this time it's my ox getting gored, but am I right or wrong, here?  At $70 a throw, shouldn't I at least be able to expect an accurate road number?  The worst part of it is that no one makes N scale decals for WM F units, so I can't even do the simple task of re-numbering the engines.  If I could get my hands on the right size decals, I probably wouldn't care, because it would be within my realm to fix it, just as I can put the right horns and make other modest adjustments to make the engine more accurate.

So help me out here.  Should I be smiling because close but no cigar is still close?  What do you think?

Lee

If they look good to your eyes - road number notwithstanding - enjoy watching them go round your layout & smile. If not, then light the cigar & let the smoke obscure the road number, or the subtle detail differences slightly, but enjoy them going round your layout, & smile 8)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2902
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 11:12:08 PM »
But why should anyone "grin and bear it" when 5 minutes on the internet would've prevented the issue in the first place?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, btw, gents, I know I can get into it too, but if this all gets out of hand and uncivil, I've got the padlock in my hand.

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 11:35:31 PM »
I guess because I've gone without or made-do for so long, I'm torn between being a happy camper to at least have my paint scheme available for the first time since Bev-Bel did their hatchet job on the Life Like F, which was itself a hatchet job (I never bought any of these) and being a demanding SOB.  I really had high hopes for the IM F, and it may yet prove to be long-awaited "every man's locomotive" that we've been waiting for.

I'm expecting my chips tomorrow or the next day, so I'll be able to run them soon.  The mechanisms look excellent, and they weigh enough to do everything I'll need them to do.  That part is great.  And as a Ph. I shell, they are accurate and beatifully put together and detailed.  No glue blobs, wrinkled grilles or anything.

Compare this with the Bachmann Spectrum I painted, and you can see there really is no comparison.

But dammit!  If you're not going to put the right stupid number on it, at least produce some stupid decals so we can fix it!!

Lee
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 11:39:18 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

tokenbrit

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 11:38:21 PM »
why should anyone "grin and bear it" ... ?

Because it's a hobby that's supposed to be a fun & relaxing escape from the stress of every day life, reality, & buttons being pushed, not something that leads to anxiety, obsession, compulsion, & anger - maybe not "grin and bear it" but certainly to practice a little serenity ... serenity to accept the things you can't change, courage to change the things you can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

accept the things you can't change - the mistake has already been made
change the things you can - talk to IM personally & politely, help them get it right next time
the wisdom to know the difference - .. & if they still get it wrong, spend your money elsewhere ::)

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 11:42:49 PM »
You sound like a salesman's and manufacturer's dream come true .

tokenbrit

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 11:43:55 PM »
why should anyone "grin and bear it" ... ?

or because the other way madness lies :-\

tokenbrit

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 12:20:37 AM »

Not at all, but I do take responsibility for my purchasing decisions, & I don't think that ranting & raving on a forum will make dreams come true, whereas working with a manufacturer to fix a problem, either directly or through the salesman or dealer, just might.

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 01:27:09 AM »

Not at all, but I do take responsibility for my purchasing decisions, & I don't think that ranting & raving on a forum will make dreams come true, whereas working with a manufacturer to fix a problem, either directly or through the salesman or dealer, just might.

I am doing both , The forum is informing others that may be unaware , thats what forums are for . Helping others .

keystonecrossings

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Middle Division Musings
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 07:07:05 AM »
Unfortunate on the WM road numbers. I had bought an AB pair for static display for the Reading-WM Lurgan Line which is featured as a non-operating overpass over my PRR main at Harrisburg.

The PRR numbers are correct and, as alluded to, it's amazing that they can't get them all right. The info is out there and, in most cases, there are volunteers willing to help.

Similar issue exists with PCM and the PRR E8's they announced for December 2007... one of the two road numbers they picked is a duplicate of one of the road numbers being released by Life Like next month. PCM's response: "We doing the same road numbers that we did in HO." (The BLI E7 trainphones were Tuscan in HO, why not in N... doesn't the same rule apply?  ;D)
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +791
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 07:16:17 AM »
I just want to add a GENTLE reminder here ... this topic has been discussed ad nauseum on the Atlas forum, and anything you post here should be factual information .. and should not turn into a debate over toys vs models, kato vs IM, modelers vs tin platers, operators vs roundy rounders ..

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 07:48:49 AM »
I wasn't looking to re-hash the A-board thread, I'm just trying to reconcile my usually relaxed approach to modeling details with my disappointment over the IM product.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

FrankCampagna

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 08:04:04 AM »
I wasn't looking to re-hash the A-board thread, I'm just trying to reconcile my usually relaxed approach to modeling details with my disappointment over the IM product.

I can relate to that. Not a nitpicker. The Atlas RS-3 is the wrong phase for what I am modeling. However, I have eight of them. Not enough difference to matter. On the other hand, I wouldn't buy the Kato RS-2 in D&H, even when it was in my era. The somewhat high fan I can live with. The wrong stack for the lightning stripe scheme. I guess it depends how "close" you feel to a particular item. Fortunately I have decals for a black & gold RS-3. So I won't have to pay full price for a unit that will be essentially a bit player. Frank
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."