Author Topic: IMRC F-7b unit problems  (Read 11993 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
Re: IMRC F-7b unit problems
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2006, 08:50:44 AM »
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but the art of modeling a physical layout, I believe, will be replaced by modeling a virtual layout. Modern computers are so quick, inexpensive (relatively speaking), and capable of superb graphics. It's already possible to create your own computer railroad with some rather spectacular scenery. I envision the day when someone can host their layout on a server and invite others to operate it collectively in real time... a virtual op session! I'm not promoting, but I see it coming.

I think you are correct .. this could be done in HO already .. a small camera in the nose of the loco, a jmri connection, you could run your train from home on my layout .. and the layout owner would only need the yard master, and yard crews .. all over the road activity could be done remote ..

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2006, 09:04:34 AM »
I may be reading this wrong but I thought he was talking about a virtual "multiplayer" layout, where a virtual "world" is hosted on a server. I could be wrong.

As for operating a real layout remotelely, that sounds as exciting to me as railfanning via webcams. :-X

I find things like MS Train interesting, but it could never even approach the satisfaction I get from building models, kitbashing, painting and decaling, etc.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 09:26:07 AM by NandW »

keystonecrossings

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Middle Division Musings
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2006, 09:21:30 AM »
N&W is correct... I was speaking of a completely "electron" layout.

Remote control, vis a vis web cam / JMRI / etc, can already be done not only in HO but in N as well.
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5403
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2006, 09:50:45 AM »
A virtual layout holds no interest for me.  I already sit in front of screen all day on my big behind at work.  I am not motivated by gee-whiz electronics so much as I am by actually constructing a miniature representation of a happier time.  Yes, many of us model the current era, but John, if an F-9 with appropriate detailing were offered in MARC colors, you'd be all over it like a bad suit.

And if fading eras have fading numbers, then why the sudden surge in turn of the last century steam?  I could agree that the availability of good F units is coming 20 years too late, (I thought for sure they would have come right on the heels of the RS-3 back in the '80's) but then again, with new advances in sound technology and DCC, that big fat covered wagon provides a lot of room for some wizardry to take place, especially if you put together an ABA, reserving the B for the sound equipment.  Plenty of heft to pull the train, and big ol' speaker to boot.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2006, 11:25:24 AM »
I completely forgot about the MARC ex F9 control car .. but .. we would need proper MARC pax cars .. wouldnt we :)

tokenbrit

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2006, 11:49:12 AM »
I completely forgot about the MARC ex F9 control car .. but .. we would need proper MARC pax cars .. wouldnt we :)

Did you know they have an F9 (I think) in MARC colours at the Museum of Transportation here in St Louis? I got a couple of photos of it on my recent visit ... I'll try to remember to post them tonight, if you're interested :)

On 2nd thoughts, it may have been an E not an F :-[ It was in faded MARC green with a white stripe ... let me post the pic then you can slam me for my lack of knowledge & skill in identifying old EMD units :P
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 11:56:49 AM by tokenbrit »

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2006, 11:57:43 AM »

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2006, 11:59:10 AM »

Did you know they have an F9 (I think) in MARC colours at the Museum of Transportation here in St Louis? I got a couple of photos of it on my recent visit ... I'll try to remember to post them tonight, if you're interested :)

On 2nd thoughts, it may have been an E not an F :-[ It was in faded MARC green with a white stripe ... let me post the pic then you can slam me for my lack of knowledge & skill in identifying old EMD units :P

MARC did run some Ex-BN E units in patched BN paint.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5403
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2006, 12:36:13 PM »
There, I've run circles round you logically! ;D

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

tokenbrit

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2006, 12:44:17 PM »

I think it probably was an Ex-BN E unit, like this. It was too long for an F, & may well have had 6 axles not 4 ... I just don't remember it having the sloped nose :-\

tokenbrit

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2006, 12:48:13 PM »
There, I've run circles round you logically! ;D

Lee

Unitrack oval-logic: roundy-roundy :o :P ;D

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2006, 01:53:39 PM »
Message deleted
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 06:36:33 PM by Robbman »

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2006, 03:41:53 PM »

I believe they are stored in Brunswick .. or were a few years ago ..

tokenbrit

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2006, 08:42:42 PM »

I believe they are stored in Brunswick .. or were a few years ago ..

MARC 66, ex BN/METRA 9906, ex BN 9972, nee CB&Q 9972, E8/9 at St Louis Museum of Transportation:

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2006, 08:54:38 PM »
...I don't mean to hijack this thread, but the art of modeling a physical layout, I believe, will be replaced by modeling a virtual layout...  ...I envision the day when someone can host their layout on a server and invite others to operate it collectively in real time... a virtual op session! I'm not promoting, but I see it coming.

You have better eyes than I do :D

A virtual layout isn't my idea of fun. Isn't N scale small enough without having to squint at a monitor to see what's rolling by. Besides, there won't be the panoramic sweep of a well-built layout in all its REAL glory to marvel at!

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"