0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
interesting method Dave. Can you peel up the track at a later date? I would think once you glued it down with that type of double stick tape it was fairly permanent. The double stick tape i've seen in videos or articles to hold the track in place until the caulk sets is more like the Scotch brand stuff.
The only advantage of washer fluid over alcohol is the smell.BUT,I would never use washer fluid,simply because the blue dye may stain the ballast.
Well, i'm concerned about the alcohol' s dissolving properties in that it may cause the glue to... well... not be glue... that is since i'm using WS scenic cement rather than 50/50 white with water.-Cody F.
No... it has no affect on the glue, either scenic cement, which I've used in spots or diluted white glue.I ballasted mine in 2009 and it has survived temperature ranges from 0 to 90 degrees and almost daily train running with none of it loosening.
What type of ballast are you using? -Cody F.
Hey Cody, it's High Ball N scale ballast. A combination of 6 parts light gray ballast, 6 parts dark gray ballast and 1 part black.
Well, how often would one expect to be moving track around on a permanent layout? This is an alternate to all other methods, because it does away with the need for cork roadbed, caulk or other adhesive, and waiting for things to dry. You can start ballasting the instant the track is down.Now, if you must make changes, remove as much ballast as you can (if it's been ballasted), then slice through the foam horizontally with a packing knife. This of course means removing the remains from the track. With care, after soaking off the ballast, it will usually peel right off track; if it doesn't, apply heptane (rubber cement thinner) to remove the remains of the tape.What's great is the double-stick tape will instantly bond to any type of subroadbed--wood, foam, styrene, sheet metal, whatever. And the track instantly bonds to the tape very securely. Since it is indeed permanent, I lay the track using pushpins before removing the tape cover as a tracklaying "rehearsal." If after securing the track minor adjustments are required, you can flood the area with heptane, wait about 30-60 seconds, and the adhesive softens enough you can shift the track around a little, and when the solvent has evaporated, the track is re-secured.Many moons ago I did a clinic on it, and the attendees were quite amazed. I may one day make a video of the clinic so people can see why I don't use any other method for tracklaying. You can lay all of the track of a good-sized layout literally in a matter of minutes.If you have back issues of MR, you can read my article "Double-sided foam tape makes tracklaying quick and easy" in the March 1992 edition, page 110.
That's a thirteen part mix? Is that metric or something? [chuckle] thanks Mike.
David,I'd be a little leery of using double back tape,unless I was someone who changes railroads frequently.I have MANY RC cars and other projects that are over ten years old,frequently,some brands of double back tape turn pretty much to dust after a few years,many turn rock hard,some shrink,some turn to cheese,many just loose their grip..Never had that happen to cork..