Author Topic: The Contenders.  (Read 9377 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: The Contenders.
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2010, 12:47:31 PM »
0
I called dibbies on it. 

I would pull the yard from a wye at the left end of Hancock.  A similar apparatus would be employed to dispatch the B&O on the lower level.

Steve tells me that the industry list would include the pulpwood reload, at least one apple warehouse, a freighthouse, and probably another apple warehouse.  WMRX cars!

I can definitely see a B&O Time Saver circling endlessly on the low line.

And Ed, despite your concerns, that scene at least provides the modeler with some ideas as to how to scenic this kind of inconvenient scene, which does occur with alarming frequency on our little layouts.

And really, all the way from Cherry Run to Connellsville, and a good ways up the Potomac west of Cumberland, the WM and B&O are within sight of each other, with few exceptions.  In places like Rawlings, Maryland, aside for a grade separation of about 4 feet, they may as well have shared the same track... which sadly, later they did.

http://www.wmwestsub.com/main.htm
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: The Contenders.
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2010, 12:49:49 PM »
0
Guys,
I like the occassional scratchbuilding challenge and all, but this is a bit . . . over the top.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11877
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: The Contenders.
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2010, 12:59:22 PM »
0
I am late to this conversation, but in the past couple of weeks on the Maryland and Delaware RR, I have spotted boxcars with COER reporting marks. As this isn't one of the usual cars spotted, I researched the reporting marks which turns out to be the Crab Orchard and Egyptian RR (new to me, never had heard of them) in Illinois. They have a website, 15 miles or so of track, two Class I interchanges, and were the last to use steam (1986) in revenue service.

Yeah, I remember an article on that road in RMC, way back when! (steam)

Mark


2-8-8-0

  • Guest
Re: The Contenders.
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2010, 01:03:55 PM »
0
Not a scratchbuilding challenge for me, this is gonna be my first N layout. IDK what everyone else is doing, but hey, sounds like a good time regardless. Even broke me can afford a door, some foam and some track, structures, and ground cover & trees. And if nothing else it will be nicer than my loop of Kato unitrack to test my locos on as I get/modify them.


wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: The Contenders.
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2010, 01:07:53 PM »
0
Check out your local Habitat ReStore... Lots of doors for low, low prices!
http://www.habitat.org/env/restores.aspx

I'm really liking this concept.  There's plenty of room to build a lock on the canal, too...

 

Lee
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 01:16:06 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

NorfolkSouthern9708

  • Guest
Re: The Contenders.
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2010, 01:20:41 PM »
0
Here's photographic proof of a spot on the B&O somewhere in WV almost like what Lee has drawn.  The only difference is that B&O owned both levels.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bo/bo-s7154bhn.jpg

This is probably one of the coolest scenes I've ever seen and just begs to be modeled on a small layout!

It reminds me of the early stages of a model railroad where the scenery is very rough like this.

asciibaron

  • Guest
Re: The Contenders.
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2010, 01:23:21 PM »
0

Just because the B&O had ONE location like that, doesn't mean that everyone's layout needs it on it...

you're just mad it's not Conrail.  ;D

2-8-8-0

  • Guest
Re: The Contenders.
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2010, 01:25:57 PM »
0

Just because the B&O had ONE location like that, doesn't mean that everyone's layout needs it on it...

you're just mad it's not Conrail.  ;D

Put a loco and 20 or so cars on the ground and call it CSX. Extra points for a loco still in CR paint.

Packer

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 742
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1
Re: The Contenders.
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2010, 04:57:41 PM »
0
Ugh, I hate that photo, because it encourages scenes like those on layouts.

Just because the B&O had ONE location like that, doesn't mean that everyone's layout needs it on it...

I though people would only copy it if it was SF, UP, or PRR...

I've seen a club use it near teh top of a helix. I wouldn't try it because the decreasing radius going uphill in a helix might be a bad thing. I think I've seen a photo of the GN, SP, or the DRGW having something similar, but I'm not sure.
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.