Author Topic: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s  (Read 8870 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12252
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11700
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2010, 11:10:10 PM »
0
So I pre-ordered a PC GG1 from Chuck...!

eric220

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3738
  • Gender: Male
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +648
    • The Modern PRR
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2010, 03:44:46 PM »
0
Dave, I just noticed your user icon...  Creeeeepy!  I think the spider-cows gave me nightmares.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2010, 10:21:31 PM »
0
Kato is following the Government of Japan's instructions to cool relations with Canada over a few trade disputes and I, for one, am more than happy to see them siphon greenbacks off the long suffering (yuck, yuck, yuck...LOL) Eastern 'mericans as opposed to screwing up (yep; I said it; I didn't bow down at the Kato throne) Canadian road's like they have that latest PRR GG1.... I mean, I am a bit more forgiving than many of y'all, but really; maybe the font cop's should visit Kato......but alas, I must be in error; Kato is perfect....I read that somewhere....... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

eric220

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3738
  • Gender: Male
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +648
    • The Modern PRR
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2010, 09:02:46 PM »
0
Could a Conrail G be far behind?

(Comment made by Dr. Vollmer on the Kato Amfleet thread)

You lookin' for the black, or the can opener scheme applied to 4800 after the bicentennial scheme had its run?



Personally, I like this one a lot better than the PC black.  It's kind of sad actually; you can still see the strips running across the grills that carried the pinstripes.  ::sniff::
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12252
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11700
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2010, 10:04:48 PM »
0
A purist would say no...  The 4800 was the only blue CR GG1, and was the riveted prototype for the GG1 fleet.  However, many folks assume that othr than the rivets, the 4800 is identical to the rest of the Gs.  In fact, that's not the case.  4800 represents the GG1 before Raymond Loewy came into the picture; Loewy recommended the welded body and pinstripes, but also some changes in the contours of the "hull."  So the Kato model represents not only a different assembly method than the 4800, but some contours as well.  Nevertheless, given adequate finances on my end I would still consider a blue 4800 foobie.

But really, to me, nothing says early Conrail quite like this guy:

http://thecrhs.org/Images/CR-4891-at-Rutherford-Yard-in-1981-0

The single PRR wide stripe with Penn Central style CR logos...  Now that's history!  But, would Kato go for it?  I would expect they'd foobie the blue 4800 long before they'd do a patch job.

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7454
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2010, 10:14:17 PM »
0
The big differences I see between 4800 and the "production" GG1 are the squared off door at the end, and the Frankenstein brow at the top of the nose.  I little bit of surgery and a pack of those rivet decals...  I dunno, Dave...  It could be done!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12252
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11700
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2010, 10:45:07 PM »
0
The big differences I see between 4800 and the "production" GG1 are the squared off door at the end, and the Frankenstein brow at the top of the nose.  I little bit of surgery and a pack of those rivet decals...  I dunno, Dave...  It could be done!

Lee

I still would rather have the patch job.  But knowing Kato and their penchant for the "iconic," they're likely to offer the 4800 in all of its wacky schemes, like the AAR and CR bicentennial, before they do a much more typical CR patch-job.

I'm not averse to re-painting one myself...  Oddly enough, it's my wife that hates the idea of repainting a G.  She loves the 5-pinstripe Loewy scheme.  She thinks the all-black patch jobs are ugly as sin.  She's better about the full-up Penn Central scheme.

eric220

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3738
  • Gender: Male
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +648
    • The Modern PRR
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2010, 12:44:01 AM »
0
Oddly enough, it's my wife that hates the idea of repainting a G.  She loves the 5-pinstripe Loewy scheme.  She thinks the all-black patch jobs are ugly as sin.

Well, at least one of you has some sense...  ;)
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11876
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2010, 09:44:32 AM »
0
.but alas, I must be in error; Kato is perfect....I read that somewhere....... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Well, we haven't seen you at the (Kato) Temple lately ...