Author Topic: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s  (Read 8869 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12343
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8581
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 08:13:09 PM »
0
Kato has always had an Eastern bias- Far East, that is. :D

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12252
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11700
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 08:41:32 PM »
0
Oh, man...!  My wallet's gonna HURT!

I could honestly use both, but will probably have to chose.  For CR 1980, the Amtrak one is the right one, but I much prefer the PC scheme.  Heck, this might be one of the few times I brush of Rule #1 and go for the wrong.

sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +145
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 08:50:07 PM »
0
WOW. Great comeback from that single-stripe abomination they just released. Looks like I have to throw a preorder in....

The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

ljudice

  • Guest
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 08:57:39 PM »
0
I should be jumping for a PC GG1 - the first locomotive I ever rode behind as a kid...

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12252
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11700
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 09:12:30 PM »
0
Kato doesn't specialize in "flashy" - they specialize in "iconic"...

The results are not always better - but there is a distinction....   :)

LOL...  I'm imagining a gritty, black PC GG1 as "iconic..."

sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +145
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 09:34:05 PM »
0
Kato doesn't specialize in "flashy" - they specialize in "iconic"...

The results are not always better - but there is a distinction....   :)

This is Kato amortizing tooling costs. They produce and almost over produce something. Either that or they're catching onto the Atlas method of small batch runs across many roadnames. I'm surprised its so close to the last run of single stripe GG1's.

The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

eric220

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3738
  • Gender: Male
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +648
    • The Modern PRR
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 10:03:26 PM »
0
Kato doesn't specialize in "flashy" - they specialize in "iconic"...

The results are not always better - but there is a distinction....   :)

LOL...  I'm imagining a gritty, black PC GG1 as "iconic..."

Amen.  You silly people and your lust for things black and blue...  Give me DGLE and pinstripes!
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6188
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 11:22:28 PM »
0
This is Kato amortizing tooling costs. They produce and almost over produce something. Either that or they're catching onto the Atlas method of small batch runs across many roadnames. I'm surprised its so close to the last run of single stripe GG1's.

This is fine with me.  I want to see them release multiple road numbers of every scheme the GG1 ever wore, giving all modelers the opportunity to buy the GG1 scheme they prefer.  This is much better than a new release every five years, maybe.  It seems Kato has adopted the same philosophy with the GS4 as well.

I would like to see them do the silver Congressional scheme, but they'd have to fix the single stripe artwork first.  If they do the black Conrail scheme, I'll buy a pair.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12252
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11700
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 11:33:23 PM »
0
The green Conrail with single stripe is the one I'm holding my breath for...!

If you want to consider the possibilities:

http://www.spikesys.com/GG1/paint.html

I would LOVE to see a picture of the 5-stripe DGLE unit with Penn Central worms.

CBQ Fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3529
  • Respect: +391
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 04:22:36 PM »
0
WOW. Great comeback from that single-stripe abomination they just released. Looks like I have to throw a preorder in....

The S.
What was wrong with the single stripe version?  I must have missed something.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 07:59:10 PM by CBQ Fan »
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +145
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 04:45:33 PM »
0
WOW. Great comeback from that single-stripe abomination they just released. Looks like I have to throw a preorder in....

The S.
What was wrong with the single striop version?  I must have missed something.

The numbers arent as pronounced and the font used for the PENNSYLVANIA is incorrect, take a look at the S on the model versus proto photos.

The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

CBQ Fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3529
  • Respect: +391
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 05:44:03 PM »
0
WOW. Great comeback from that single-stripe abomination they just released. Looks like I have to throw a preorder in....

The S.
What was wrong with the single striop version?  I must have missed something.

The numbers arent as pronounced and the font used for the PENNSYLVANIA is incorrect, take a look at the S on the model versus proto photos.

The S.

I see what you are saying but then look at this..

http://www.spikesys.com/Bin/GG1/4903.jpg
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

MichaelWinicki

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2096
  • Respect: +335
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 05:50:22 PM »
0
Oh, man...!  My wallet's gonna HURT!

I could honestly use both, but will probably have to chose.  For CR 1980, the Amtrak one is the right one, but I much prefer the PC scheme.  Heck, this might be one of the few times I brush of Rule #1 and go for the wrong.

1956...


1980...


1969?


Oh yes. 


You know you want to.  ;D

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26105
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11596
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
0
WOW. Great comeback from that single-stripe abomination they just released. Looks like I have to throw a preorder in....

The S.
What was wrong with the single striop version?  I must have missed something.

The numbers arent as pronounced and the font used for the PENNSYLVANIA is incorrect, take a look at the S on the model versus proto photos.

The S.

I see what you are saying but then look at this..

http://www.spikesys.com/Bin/GG1/4903.jpg


But you can't use restorations as guides for this stuff. They suffer from the same problems model manufacturers are doing.

Rich Reinhart

  • Guest
Re: Kato PC/AMTRAK GG-1s
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 07:18:11 PM »
0
I want the savings bonds scheme..AHM did that in HO about 30 years ago...