Author Topic: Through girder bridge with curved corners  (Read 417 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10593
  • Respect: +1771
Through girder bridge with curved corners
« on: October 05, 2026, 01:16:31 AM »
0
I'm looking for a fairly short through girder bridge with curved upper corners.  The only ones I can find are Atlas and Kato, both with square corners.

Somebody used to make one, as I have it:
 


Is anything similar available today?
N Kalanaga
Be well

GaryHinshaw

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6765
  • Respect: +2639
Re: Through girder bridge with curved corners
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2026, 01:54:56 AM »
0
Walthers has one, but it may not be long enough for you: https://www.nscalesupply.com/wal/wal-cornerstone.html



It can be configured as single or double track.

Point353

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3739
  • Respect: +921
Re: Through girder bridge with curved corners
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2026, 02:32:44 AM »
+1
I'm looking for a fairly short through girder bridge with curved upper corners.  The only ones I can find are Atlas and Kato, both with square corners.

Somebody used to make one, as I have it:
 


Is anything similar available today?

https://shop.atlasrr.com/p-1297-nc55-sgl-track-through-girder-bridge-kit.aspx

https://shop.atlasrr.com/p-1298-nc55-through-girder-bridge-double-track-kit.aspx







nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10593
  • Respect: +1771
Re: Through girder bridge with curved corners
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2026, 01:20:01 AM »
0
Thank you, both of you.

That Atlas bridge is what I was looking for.   My "local" hobby shop carries Atlas code 55, but they didn't have any bridges of any kind.

I don't need one exactly like the one I have, but would like to replace a Kato through-truss with a through-girder bridge, and don't need the full length of the truss.  Like the Milwaukee Road, overhead wire and through truss bridges can be inconvenient.  It's very hard to clean the track in that bridge!
N Kalanaga
Be well

Point353

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3739
  • Respect: +921
Re: Through girder bridge with curved corners
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2026, 02:47:10 AM »
0
I don't need one exactly like the one I have, but would like to replace a Kato through-truss with a through-girder bridge, and don't need the full length of the truss.  Like the Milwaukee Road, overhead wire and through truss bridges can be inconvenient.  It's very hard to clean the track in that bridge!

Maybe try a Woodland Scenics Rail Tracker cleaning kit.
(Or attach a piece of a Scotch-Brite pad to the end of a stick.)

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/item/TT4550






peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35313
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6656
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Through girder bridge with curved corners
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2026, 12:26:11 PM »
0
Exactly. Make a do-it-yourself BriteBoy-on-a-stick track cleaner for a fraction of the cost.  Or substitute your favorite cleaning pad. We use those around here whenever a need arises on NTRAK and on home layouts.
. . . 42 . . .

thomasjmdavis

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4383
  • Respect: +1269
Re: Through girder bridge with curved corners
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2026, 02:02:07 PM »
0
Maybe try a Woodland Scenics Rail Tracker cleaning kit.
(Or attach a piece of a Scotch-Brite pad to the end of a stick.)




For bridges and such, I'd be tempted to buy a 'refill' of those abrasive blocks, cut a hole in an old 50' flatcar (I have too many- attempts to stretch them to 53' have not been very successful so far) big enough for the abrasive block, put some weight on top of the abrasive block if needed.   And then drag it back and forth through the bridge behind one of my 2 pound ancient Life-Like E8s (I know, they aren't really 2 pounds).  Not unlike the old Rowa track cleaning cars, one of which I have in a box here somewhere.
Tom D.

I gave up rivet counting when I couldn't see an N scale rivet anymore.

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10593
  • Respect: +1771
Re: Through girder bridge with curved corners
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2026, 01:36:56 AM »
0
I have a stick I can use, but access is still a problem.  It works best when used on the track centerline, and that's where the overhead wire is!

If it wasn't for the wire, cleaning the track would be simple.
N Kalanaga
Be well