Author Topic: ESU mobile control Pro throttle on Digitrax layout with LNWI  (Read 179 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PanAmShay

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 47
  • Respect: +14
ESU mobile control Pro throttle on Digitrax layout with LNWI
« on: October 03, 2026, 09:55:52 PM »
0
Does anyone here have successful experience running ESU Mobile Control Pro (MCP) throttles on a Digitrax layout connecting through LNWI, not Jmri Pi +WiFi?

We were trying to run on our clubs layout for the first time using MCP throttles and could connect to each of the two LNWI networks, but had lots of trouble staying in control of a loco. After running for a bit we would loose control (e.g. no horn or throttle response). Once this happened we would get an error on the MCP screen saying “timeout reached while trying to control (loco name)”. There were no such issues using TCS WiFi throttles or iPhones with WiThrottle. I also successfully used my MCP throttle on a club running Digitrax with JMRI Pi

This is at the Lynden train show in WA, so if you’re here on Sunday, send me a PM

I’ve talked to several groups and believe JMRI Pi will be more robust going forward and plan to make that happen, but it’s not what we have this weekend

Thanks,
Andrew

PanAmShay

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 47
  • Respect: +14
Re: ESU mobile control Pro throttle on Digitrax layout with LNWI
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2026, 01:00:17 PM »
0
I had similar issues trying to connect with the ESU throttle to a different club layout also running Digitrax with LNWI.  there were no issues for people running other brand wifi throttles (TCS or phone app).  I will be contacting ESU as well as trying to setup a Raspberry Pi JMRI wifi device

Carolina Northern

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 228
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +38
Re: ESU mobile control Pro throttle on Digitrax layout with LNWI
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2026, 03:58:43 PM »
0
The ESU Mobile Throttle is an android tablet. The standard way to connect to anything other than an ESU device is to load Engine Driver on the Mobile Throttle. Instead of starting the ESU software, start Engine Driver and you should have no problem connecting after that. ESU devices will now receive Engine Driver protocol, so when using the ESU Command Station you can run either program.

I run both on mine and use engine driver when on other layouts or when going through JMRI. The last I checked, JMRI does not accept ESU protocol.

Hope this helps.

Don

Sumner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 875
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2456
    • My Home Pages....
Re: ESU mobile control Pro throttle on Digitrax layout with LNWI
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2026, 07:27:55 PM »
0
.............as well as trying to setup a Raspberry Pi JMRI wifi device......

Are you aware of Steve Todd's image file for a Raspberry Pi? 

If not or for others you need to know absolutely nothing about a Pi to have it and JMRI on it.  You buy a Pi ($50-$70)......connect a $25 USB keyboard and mouse to it.....connect an old monitor to it or buy a new one ($70 and up)..... connect a $10 power supply and buy a $12 SD card. 

Now the easy part go to Steve's site......

https://mstevetodd.com/rpi

... download his image file to the SD card and you are ready to go.  Put the SD card into the Pi and turn it on and a minute or two later JMRI is up on the screen.  Programming a Decoder......no problem.... as Decoder Pro is also there.  In my case with DCC-EX a USB cable from the Pi to the DCC-EX command station and you are up and running.  You don't need to know anything about the Pi or its operating system.  Everything is taken care of by Steve's image file on the SD card. 

Steve and Peter Akers are also the EngineDriver developers/team.

Sumner
« Last Edit: October 05, 2026, 07:29:36 PM by Sumner »
Working in N Scale ---Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- My Home Page

http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR Main/Link Page Menu.html

PanAmShay

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 47
  • Respect: +14
Re: ESU mobile control Pro throttle on Digitrax layout with LNWI
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2026, 08:10:00 PM »
0
Sumner, I just became aware today of Steve Todd's image for Raspberry Pi JMRI--thanks for the details!

Don, our ESU throttles came with Engine Driver installed, but I was not aware in conversations previously with ESU that this is what I needed to be using for non-ESU connections--maybe I was told months ago and had forgotten.  I was under the impression you select the wifi network through the android tablet settings swipe down menu.  Using the ESU throttles on the Digitrax w/Raspberry Pi JMRI this weekend worked just fine launching the ESU app directly after connecting to the wifi network, I never launched the Engine Driver app.  Thanks for alerting me to this, I will have to dig in more.


Carolina Northern

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 228
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +38
Re: ESU mobile control Pro throttle on Digitrax layout with LNWI
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 09:57:27 AM »
0
You have the newer Mobile Throttle. I have the older one and all it had was the ESU app. I had to strip a lot of unnecessary stuff off it to make it run faster, then install Engine Driver. The one you have is a major improvement.

ESU has since made several changes to the firmware including adding the server function to the command station to accept signals from both WII Throttle and Engine Driver.  Being native to the command station, they now work with or without JMRI.
Just put the command station on your home network and sign in to the same network with your throttle.

I have some older friends who only work with Digitrax. They struggled to learn the Mobile Throttle or WII Throttle, so I bought an L-Net converter, hooked to my command station, installed a couple of UP-5's and now they bring their own throttles and are happy.

If you haven't yet, I recommend joining the ESU forum on their website. A lot the posts refer to things we don't have in the US and you have to take advantage of Google translate to read some. You have to own an ESU product and provide the serial number to join, but it's worth it.

Don