Author Topic: Does anybody make NON-lighted N scale street lights?  (Read 594 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +285
Does anybody make NON-lighted N scale street lights?
« on: March 23, 2024, 03:29:40 AM »
Seems like everybody has to put an LED in theirs -- and pump the price up to $15-25. Yikes!

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +999
Re: Does anybody make NON-lighted N scale street lights?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2024, 10:42:14 AM »
If quantity and affordability is your goal then ebay is your friend for streetlights.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=n+scale+streetlight&_sacat=0&_odkw=n+scale+streetliguts

There have been a few manufacturers to make unlit examples over the years, but most of them are of worse quality then the Chinese ebay offerings. Faller makes a 4 pack of 4 different kinds but they are more expensive then the Atlas LED ones.

I don't think adding the LEDs is raising the price as much as you think it is... Probably more comparing a 2024 price with what our brains think the price should be.

I also remember an article in N scale magazine from the late 1990s/early 2000s about scratchbuilding Streetlights using square styrene and spaghetti, using a flame to soften the spaghetti to form the curve in the pole. Provably the cheapest option.
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

martin station

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2024, 10:48:26 AM »
+1
Osborn Models 3098 - Street Lamps - N Scale
Osborn Models 3098 sku:osb3098 $3.98 at Midwest Model Railroad. There is 8 to a package. You have to assemble them yourself but I find those ptoducts that I have purchased from Osborn go together pretty easy.
Ralph

Bart1701

• Crew
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2024, 12:11:14 PM »
I used street lights from JTT Model Supplies on my layout. If you do some internet searches, you should be able to find them. You can see them in this photo.

As I recall, they were very affordable.

Bart

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1002
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 05:15:29 PM »
+1
Kato does, or did, as part of their diorama kits.  Too modern for me, although I do have some of their big electrical towers.  I think these were actually made by Heljan, and just packaged in Kato packaging for sale in Japan.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/375255013550   They are $25 nowadays, but there are quite a few in the package.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +891
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 06:14:50 PM »
Kato does, or did, as part of their diorama kits.  Too modern for me, although I do have some of their big electrical towers.  I think these were actually made by Heljan, and just packaged in Kato packaging for sale in Japan.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/375255013550   They are $25 nowadays, but there are quite a few in the package.
I got some with my Unitram kit...

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +285
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2024, 03:06:42 AM »
Guess I should have been more specific, as I'm looking for period double lamps from the US  '30s-'40s. Somewhat ornate but not like Victorian ones. I do have KATO modern lights I bought LOOOOOONG ago, and with a bit of modification can be back-dated to a 1950's version (which look a lot like the modern ones).  I have a possibility on eBay, but found nothing on Shapeways.

Also looking for one of those 4-way 3-signal traffic lights that used to hang above the middle of a city intersection. If I could figure a way to make the (tiny) hoods I'd be able to make one myself.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1002
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 01:01:43 PM »
+1
Guess I should have been more specific, as I'm looking for period double lamps from the US  '30s-'40s. Somewhat ornate but not like Victorian ones.

A photo of what you want would save us all 1000 words.

Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2024, 10:10:21 PM »
I'm still stuck on "Non-lighted"? Doesn't that mean kept in the dark?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.