Author Topic: New Atlas GP-7 & SD-7 loco's  (Read 427 times)

NYC54

• Respect: 0
New Atlas GP-7 & SD-7 loco's
« on: February 21, 2024, 07:40:03 PM »
So from what I have gathered from reading on this form is that the new Silver series Atlas SD-7 and the new GP-7 both take the ESU LOKPILOT 59925 decoder with the E24 connection.
I'm looking to purchase 2 GP-7 & 2 SD-7 Silver units. The online store also has the 59925 decoder in stock. Since I don't do sound I figured this would be the way for me to go.

My next question is this: Has anybody installed one of these decoders? Do they plug into the main board? Any soldering required? Since these are so new I haven't been able to find any installation videos or pics much less any documentation on how to install. I'm trying to do my homework before I spend that kind of money but also don't want to have to spend a lot of time on installation. Can this decoder still be programmed with my NCE PowerCab on my test track? Will they consist ok with my other loco's that have mostly Digitrax and a few NCE decoders.

I have mostly an Chinese made Atlas fleet of split frame loco's U25B, GP35's GP38's and a couple of older GP9s and 2 of the newer (2018 release) GP-40.
I would love to have a few new loco's but don't want to set myself up for headaches or heartaches. Any responses would be highly appreciated.

Thanks, Tony
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 05:54:44 AM by GaryHinshaw »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4619
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: New Atlas GP-7 & SD-7 loco's
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 08:21:32 PM »
+1
Yes, the LokSound or LokPilot nano with e24 connector just plugs onto the Atlas board.  You might wrap some Kaption tape around it to make sure it doesn't get loose. Simple plug-n-play. No soldering or any other modifications.

Consistign is the same as with any other NMRA compatible decoder (which is pretty much every decoder out there).

As for programming ESU LokPilot decoders, sure you can write and read CVs on any DCC system.  All the basic CVs are defined per NMRA standard. These decoders also have many other ESU-specific CVs, but you likely won't have to touch those.
. . . 42 . . .