Author Topic: What is this, and coupler function?  (Read 847 times)

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
  • Respect: +235
What is this, and coupler function?
« on: December 22, 2023, 09:25:32 AM »
Found this little guy at a recent train show; picked it up simply because its diminutive size appealed to me.

Just wondering:
- what the heck IS it
- what kind of couplers are those
- how is it supposed to connect up with more cars of the same design?

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5518
Re: What is this, and coupler function?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2023, 09:46:39 AM »
It is a Minitrains HOn30 trash car:
https://www.minitrains.eu/mt-freight.html

The loop will lift up and latch on top of the little nub in the middle:
https://www.walthers.com/minitrains-30-quot-narrow-gauge-hoe-trash-car-4-pack-ready-to-run-unlettered-beige-black

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2023, 11:00:30 AM »
Well, I’ll be darned!  Thanks Chris … I had never heard of such a thing.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2023, 11:12:32 AM »
The couplers are “standard” on most European HO or OO narrow gauge stock.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4620
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 11:40:00 AM »
Chris, funny how that tiny car looks similar to the car pictured on the postage stamp in your avatar.  :D
. . . 42 . . .

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +995
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2023, 12:26:54 PM »
They made several variations of these on the same chassis.  I had a couple of disconnect logging cars long ago, and I recall that there was a side-dump hopper offered as well.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2023, 12:41:54 PM »
Chris, funny how that tiny car looks similar to the car pictured on the postage stamp in your avatar.  :D

It was a postage stamp  BUT  it was clearly made from this image that just happens to be a 30" gauge car and I model HOn30.  :P

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2023, 09:40:44 AM »
I have been looking for something like that in Z scale to use on Z gauge track for an N scale mine.  Anybody know of something useful?  If not, my plan is to scratch build bodies on top of Z scale passenger trucks with most of the detail on the truck frames milled off.

Chris333

• Crew

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4620
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2023, 09:51:18 AM »
I have been looking for something like that in Z scale to use on Z gauge track for an N scale mine.  Anybody know of something useful?  If not, my plan is to scratch build bodies on top of Z scale passenger trucks with most of the detail on the truck frames milled off.

Isn't that what our own @narrowminded was working on before he disappeared?
. . . 42 . . .

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1199
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2023, 10:29:19 AM »
+1
You might consider this T-gauge track .  I'm using it for 1:300 scale 3-foot narrow gauge, but at 1:220, T-gauge (3mm) works out to 2' 2" gauge (I've pondered doing some Maine 2-footer models using this track).  A powered mine loco would be possible as well.  Possibly something like this:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 10:35:44 AM by Jesse6669 »

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +473
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2023, 11:05:43 AM »

N Sclale Architect makes Nn30 track, a locomotive and mine cars. https://thenarch.com/n-detail-parts-vehicles/. I don’t know how these compare to Z scale track.
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2023, 07:21:14 PM »

N Sclale Architect makes Nn30 track, a locomotive and mine cars. https://thenarch.com/n-detail-parts-vehicles/. I don’t know how these compare to Z scale track.

N scale Architect mine loco and cars are "Static model. Not motorized."

I could use them if I give up on a motorized mine display.  But, I am not giving up yet.

Z gauge track would be ~40" gauge in N scale.  A bit large for most mines, but still small enough to say "not main railroad" while large enough to actually motorize.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1330
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2023, 12:43:32 AM »
42" gauge wasn't uncommon in large coal mines, so Z gauge track would be fine.  For something that small, I'd buy some MT passenger trucks (they're a wood-beam design anyway), remove as much of the sideframe detail as you wish, and mount couplers on both ends.  I doubt that you'll be doing any switching with them, so simulating link-and-pin couplers, basically a pivoted drawbar, would work fine.
N Kalanaga
Be well