Author Topic: Milwaukee Road - "Derry, WI"  (Read 751 times)

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +337
Milwaukee Road - "Derry, WI"
« on: December 21, 2023, 11:40:58 PM »
+3
Last year, I got this craftsman kit for Christmas from a family member. Instead of thinking that I can't use this , I'll just build a small layout around it.

Occasionally over this year ,I'd noodle on a plan sketch,  but then an overt act occurred after selling at a local show and this came home with me:

The overall idea is just a 1 x 6 footprint that can straddle the staging yard of my SP T-Trak layout by resting on the structural backdrops . I'll have a removable tail track on one end to allow for more flexibility. The location is entirely fictional but is heavily inspired by many locales here in Oregon's Willamette Valley where there is a grain elevator and maybe a freight/warehouse or team track adjacent to the main track.It will use Code 70 on N scale cork as I want that secondary track look. Because this is small ,DCC and sound is important for realism. I ordered a ST SDL39 as that emulates what I want to see - light rail and half weeds for ballast under a late 70s time-frame. More pics later once the framework gets put together...
Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

pdx1955

• Crew
Re: Milwaukee Road - "Derry, WI"
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 12:13:42 AM »
+4
A day or so of work produced the completed module framework and backdrop. Here it is set about where it will be. It overhangs the SP layout on one end, but that module is off stage and will not be part of the "visible" layout.

I will also reuse a removable tail track that I had on the last layout. Here it is temporarily positioned. One end will rest on a small support on the module while the other end will have a leg resting on the wire shelving. It's long enough for a couple car lengths.

Lastly,  I more or less have completed the general track plan. I plan to have an overpass at one end with it bridging over the main and maybe over the siding. The N scale gas holders are the same diameter of the planned grain bins, so those work well for the mockup. The remaining third away from the bins will have a rural roadway crossing, the before mentioned house kit and a small drainage crossed by a culvert.

Peter

pdx1955

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 01:11:24 AM »
Next steps will be to cut out the roadbed and set the various elevations for the track ,roadway, and creek before working on the trackwork in earnest.
Peter

pdx1955

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 11:55:07 PM »
+4
The pantry to the rescue! Got all of the risers placed and most of the subroadbed glued down except for the creek crossing area. Placed an order for the major structures as well so that will be some more winter projects to do.

Peter

pdx1955

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 07:55:04 PM »
+2
Been making some more progress as of late. Got the track all laid, frogs isolated and Bluepoint throws attached and wired in. Wire bus is in place and connected to the feeders. Created a programming track with both HO and N on it and this will plug into a lead from the command station so it doesn't have to be there all the time.

Next step here is to create the power bus for the modules that this sits on so this can be plugged into it. This layout is in sense an isolated block of the larger DCC system. After that it's testing and painting of backdrop, profiles and the like.

Peter