Author Topic: Weekend Update 12/10/23  (Read 2252 times)

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1816
Re: Weekend Update 12/10/23
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2023, 09:28:45 PM »
+10
I haven't posted to WU in ages since I haven't done any real modelling in ages, mostly just decoder work, etc.  This post doesn't quite qualify as modelling, but anyway..., UP's large fleet of flared SD70Ms were mostly delivered with a tapered cab while the Kato model was produced with the relatively uncommon bulldog cab.  Happily their flat SD70Ms come with a tapered cab, and it turns out to be easy to swap the long hood from a flared unit onto the the flat-radiator model:

[The bulldog cab - in back - is shown for comparison.]  The swap does require one tiny mod to the shell.  I'll post more in a separate thread after I renumber, detail, and weather this unit.  Oh, and with a LokPilot decoder and a TCS KA-N1 keep-alive it runs like a dream and is almost dead silent.  8)

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2023, 10:26:56 PM »
I haven't posted to WU in ages since I haven't done any real modelling in ages, mostly just decoder work, etc.  This post doesn't quite qualify as modelling, but anyway..., UP's large fleet of flared SD70Ms were mostly delivered with a tapered cab while the Kato model was produced with the relatively uncommon bulldog cab.  Happily their flat SD70Ms come with a tapered cab, and it turns out to be easy to swap the long hood from a flared unit onto the the flat-radiator model:

[The bulldog cab - in back - is shown for comparison.]  The swap does require one tiny mod to the shell.  I'll post more in a separate thread after I renumber, detail, and weather this unit.  Oh, and with a LokPilot decoder and a TCS KA-N1 keep-alive it runs like a dream and is almost dead silent.  8)

That as far as I got on the two I did. I used everything but the cab.
I had to used the flare mech because I had to removed the tab on the front of the shell and
 the screw-less mech mech holds the nose better.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +909
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2023, 11:55:11 PM »
+1
No photos.. but this weekend I.....
Installed a Tsunami 2 decoder into my HO Bachmann Niagara.
Replaced the 9 3/4" curves with a broader flex track curves, and added the outside 2nd loop on my door layout.
Tried to decal some painted projects... (kind of a fail)..
Sold and packed a bunch of excess stuff to rebuild my model train funds depleted by overspending earlier this year.

rickb773

• Crew
  • Rickb773
  • Respect: +654
    • Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2023, 12:28:12 AM »
+11
Big model railroad weekend in the area:

The restored Glassboro Station had a Christmas open house with Rich Drobil's PRSL HO modular layout featuring a lot Pennsylvania - Reading Seashore Lines equipment:

Christmas Special Program at the Haddon Heights Library:
New Jersey Southern had a T-Trak and display layout (Evans & Zeighlerville RR - 30"x60")
Hard to see but Jason Sawyer's T-Trak Drive-in Theater was showing "Star Wars - New Hope".

The joy of doing this is the faces of the children, brings back memories from our childhoods.

We had to compete with the Gingerbread competition (would make a great Lionel Station):

Downstairs the local S Guage club put together a large modular layout. (Those modules must weigh a ton!)

Great Weedend!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 01:23:59 PM by rickb773 »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8052
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2023, 10:14:16 AM »
+11
Yesterday was a good day to do some modeling.

First, got decals on V&O 603 here. Detail painting cleanup still to go, as well as dullcote and weathering, but she's getting there.

Next up, got the remaining track glued down to my Pavnonia TTRAK module.

And finally resprayed this building to make it look more muted. I've really gotta get that roof glued down.

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1199
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2023, 11:26:57 AM »
+3
Hey that looks like an Aliquippa & Southern switcher.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]