Author Topic: Lok tester  (Read 284 times)

milw156

• Crew
  • Respect: +215
    • Modutrak
Lok tester
« on: October 23, 2023, 01:22:35 PM »
So, I picked up an ESU decoder tester, part # 53900. I was going to hook up a wired decoder to the long green terminal strip, but noticed there is no place to connect the blue (+) wire to it. What am I missing, other than marbles????
https://www.esu.eu/en/products/decoder-tester/

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
    • Skytop Models
Re: Lok tester
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 02:00:23 PM »
No need to connect the blue wire to the tester.  Just make sure it doesn't touch anything on the board.
Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4622
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2023, 03:21:33 PM »
The tester generates its own "blue" voltage from the track voltage feed.  Which is good and bad. Good that you don't have to connect the blue wire from the decoder, and bad because that means you are no testing the "blue" circuit on the decoder.  However I never seen that part of the decoder fail. But actually, if that circuit on the decoder was bad, then the entire decoder would be non functional.

Also if for some reason you were planning on using the 5V  positive output as your common positive for the AUX functions, that won't be tested either, but that is not something commonly done anyway, and not many decoders provide the positive 5V output anyway.
. . . 42 . . .

milw156

• Crew
  • Respect: +215
    • Modutrak
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2023, 11:04:37 PM »
Thanks guys, also got an answer back from ESU stating that. wasn't expecting that quick a response from them