Author Topic: Tree height and train ops on a layout  (Read 493 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +287
Tree height and train ops on a layout
« on: October 23, 2023, 06:46:15 AM »
OK, any trees up against a backdrop or behind the rail ROW can be any size -- tho of course they should be specific to your general layout's location. Trees around buildings and houses usually are not allowed to grow huge so are trimmed or small tree types chosen.  But on a small patch of open land between two rail lines or between main and spur, having a stand of 60+ scale foot high trees would interfere with GHA needed when trains derail or you throw a handswitch. Because in real life those small stands're not maintained or cut back since they're not in the way of anything, so they can get pretty big.
I'd like to have realistic stands of trees on my layout. Covering a hill, stuck against a backdrop, shaped to fit in a residential or business setting, those are easy to figure. Considering my era is the '50s, and there was lot more undeveloped land around, I'm wondering how to build these isolated stands of trees that appear on small patches around a city so they look realistic, yet don't get in the way of running ops. Short trees or piled clumps of WS sponge material wouldn't look natural. 
My previous layouts never had any big trees ion isolated patches. Actually there was so much track and structures there wasn't much space for trees at all, (except for the mt covering the return loop -- that was solid trees) so this is a new area for me. I'd like for these stands to look realistic, but I don't want them to become a nightmare like running trains on a layout with dozens of line poles along a track. Anybody have this situation too?
(I do have a line of very tall trees and heavy underbrush filling a wide space between my main and a junkyard spur, but the tracks
 are in separate access areas so I don't have to reach over or thru the trees)i 

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +258
Re: Tree height and train ops on a layout
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2023, 02:40:13 PM »
+1
Some of the answers depend on where you are modelling, specifically what species of trees are common and how big they typically get. In my part of the world (British Columbia) the original track construction resulted in complete deforestation of large areas on either side of the track for grading, timber requirements, fire and etc., so no trees close to the tracks would be older than the tracks. However trees grow big and fast, particularly on the coast but less so in the interior, so even a young tree (by BC standards, where trees can live for 100’s of years) can be pretty darn big. Also, in the days when lineside communications lines were critical for operations, I suspect the railways would have been pretty careful to keep the tree line at least one tree height away from the pole line so that a single fallen tree wouldn’t tie up the line. Perhaps more important on mainlines than secondary/industrial… I also wonder if fire protection was a consideration.

Another consideration would be what tree species are most likely to grow back first in a disturbed area. In my neck of the woods, that “pioneer species” would be Red Alder and other deciduous species, with conifer species coming later, often by a couple of decades. So the consideration for that ‘between the track’ area would include the date of construction or last significant upgrade or revision to the track (last disturbance), track maintenance standards standards and geography (tree species and growth rate, which might also include just how hospitipal that particular location is for tree growth and health, and what species. (Sorry, I’m in the ‘urban forestry’ business.)

On my layout I’ve planted dense forests of conifer trees behind the tracks, but these trees are smaller than what might be expected in the wild because I’ve also got the tree line closer to the track than is proto (not enough room to have the treeline 100 feet from the track and have a representative forest, and to ‘force the perspective’ of having the treeline farther from the track than it actually is. Large portions of my tracks run parallel to the Kicking Horse River, so the question of how to deal with trees in front of the tracks is reduced (but not eliminated), I also intend to keep that treeline distance more prototypical in front of the tracks than behind to further reduce the foreground forest requirements. Where appropriate I will plant just enough trees to suggest ‘forest’, and these trees will closer to ‘full size’, but there aren’t really a lot of areas where large forest areas  will be needed in front of the track. I’ll be looking for that well composed Rocky Mountain tourist photo look, with just enough foreground trees to frame the image.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5418
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Tree height and train ops on a layout
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 11:37:34 PM »
+2
My general rule of thumb is that trees should be approximately the length of a 50' boxcar. (i.e.,  trees should be about 50' tall on average)

I tend to put things closer to the tracks than I probably should, but as long as I'm not obstructing my reach to throw switches, it seems to work out reasonably well.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net