Author Topic: New atlas SD-9 Decoder  (Read 6286 times)

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +70
New atlas SD-9 Decoder
« on: October 17, 2023, 03:39:57 PM »
So does anyone have nay info on what kind of decoder connection and decoder goes into the new atlas Sd-9?  Their parts diagram shows a part number that doesn't exist on their site and there are no instructions at all with it.  It looks like it is some kind of connection under the main board but no idea what kind of connections it is and don't want to go just pulling and prying on stuff.

Here are some pics of the board:

« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 10:04:34 AM by GaryHinshaw »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4882
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: New atlas SD-9 Decoder
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2023, 03:51:55 PM »
So the board shown is just a "light board", not a decoder, right?  The connector under the board looks like possibly a Next18.  I'm assuming it currently has a Next18 dummy DC board.
. . . 42 . . .

ridinshotgun

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2023, 04:00:46 PM »
So the board shown is just a "light board", not a decoder, right?  The connector under the board looks like possibly a Next18.  I'm assuming it currently has a Next18 dummy DC board.

I am guessing so.  The parts diagram shows the board under the main board with a separate part number than the large main board.  The smaller board looks like it might connect at the thin black strip just forward of the large white block on on the underside of the main board.  The connection point looks much thinner than next18 plugs I have seen on other boards.  Thus why i am looking to see if anyone has already figured out what it actually is.  I am hoping it isn't some proprietary decoder since they and ESU were having issues and it doesn't look at all like the drop in ESU board for atlas.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2023, 04:10:26 PM »
Isn't Atlas using Soundtraxx decoders now?  I don't have much experience with those.  Might be a proprietary connector?
If it was ESU compatible, it could be their E24 connector.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 04:12:17 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Wolf N Works

• Crew
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2023, 04:12:09 PM »
Per Atlasrr's SD9 page for these they are still listing ESU LokSound

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2023, 04:12:52 PM »
Per Atlasrr's SD9 page for these they are still listing ESU LokSound

Well, then that might be E24 connector, so a  LokSound 5 nano can be just plugged in.
. . . 42 . . .

ridinshotgun

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2023, 04:17:52 PM »
Isn't Atlas using Soundtraxx decoders now?  I don't have much experience with those.  Might be a proprietary connector?

I know that they were saying that they were going to soundtrax with the upcoming Sd45 but I thought this was still supposed to be ESU. I don't see anything in soundtrax that is small and might fit but I am not a sountrax affectionado.

Wolf N Works

• Crew
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2023, 07:57:30 PM »
Well I did not know these were coming, should have a couple in a few days, if some one else does not answer by then I will surely post what is in them.

ridinshotgun

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2023, 08:06:00 PM »
I am going to take the board off the frame tomorrow to see how that board connects and if it is actually a next18.  I really hope it is just a slimmed down connecting pad and not some proprietary deal.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2023, 11:05:13 PM »
I am going to take the board off the frame tomorrow to see how that board connects and if it is actually a next18.  I really hope it is just a slimmed down connecting pad and not some proprietary deal.

Well, by design the Next18 connector set is higher profile than the ESU's E24 connector set, and all the Next18 connectors I have seen are light cream color, where E24 connectors are black.  Yes, by all means lift the board up so you can see what's hiding under there.
. . . 42 . . .

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +378
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2023, 11:25:20 PM »
I know that they were saying that they were going to soundtrax with the upcoming Sd45 but I thought this was still supposed to be ESU. I don't see anything in soundtrax that is small and might fit but I am not a sountrax affectionado.

I asked Atlas this question at the NTS and they stated that the only locomotive currently scheduled to use SoundTrax is the SD45.   Everything else previously announced will still have ESU.   I was specifically asking about the Dash8-40B's, SD9's, and GP40's, but they offered up the broader statement.
Doug

ridinshotgun

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2023, 05:19:59 PM »
Well I guess this is a E24 connector but not sure since I have never seen one.

@peteski is this an E24 connector like you were saying?  IF so not many places are carrying ESU with an E24 connector.  My normal places don't have them.  See them in Euroland though!

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +568
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2023, 06:03:35 PM »

@peteski is this an E24 connector like you were saying?  IF so not many places are carrying ESU with an E24 connector.  My normal places don't have them.  See them in Euroland though!
The E24 connector is their new plug for the nano decoder.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2023, 06:08:50 PM »

That would correct on being an E24 connector.
58925    LokSound 5 Nano DCC E24 interface

I did see at least 3 places they could be bought, and all roughly $98 each.
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2023, 06:24:57 PM »
+2

Yes, that is the ESUs E24 connector. No need to search for a "bare" LokSound 5 nano decoder. You can buy the wire lead version, or even the Kato widebody decoder then simply pull the nano decoder off those (both of those decoders are combos consisting of the nano decoder on an adapter board), then just plug it into this Atlas loco.  The price of a bare nano decoder vs. the ones I mention is only couple of dollars.

But if you don't want sound decoder then unfortunately ESU does not make a LokPilot decoder with a E24 connector.

With LokSound 5 nano ESU decided to have a universal decoder which will be sold in  multiple format adapter boards (for N and H0).

Too bad Atlas decided to severed their relationship with ESU. IMO, Tsunami doesn't even come close to the functionality of ESU LokSound decoders.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 06:27:01 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .