Author Topic: ESU Loksound v5 Micro question...  (Read 645 times)

JeffB

• Crew
  • Respect: +161
ESU Loksound v5 Micro question...
« on: October 17, 2023, 06:20:01 AM »
Howdy Railwire family...

I'd like to purchase an ESU LokSound v5 Micro loaded with a specific sound file (GE 44 ton with Cat D17000 engines).

Doing a quick search I found that Tony's Trains sells ESU decoders and will load whatever sound file you choose, but they're out of stock of the v5 Micro's.

Anyone have a suggestion for a vendor that sells them and will program prior to shipping them to the customer?

I want to buy the decoder sans any plugs (just wires), but if it facilitates programming, I'd get one with a plug on the end of the wires and just cut the plug off.

Thanks for your help guys...

BTW...  I was reading a topic that had CV values for tuning Tramfabriek coreless motors for optimal performance.  THANK YOU guys!  Saved me a lot of work, as the project I'm buying the LokSound Micro for uses a Tramfabriek 1016 motor and I have a few more projects that use his 816.

Jeff

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
Re: ESU Loksound v5 Micro question...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2023, 07:22:32 AM »
+1
My go to store for ESU is usually Streamlined Backshop.  They currently have 92 LS 5 Micro/wires in stock
https://store.sbs4dcc.com/ESU58823LokSound5MicroNMRADCCSoundDecoder-Hardwire.aspx

However Bryan is out of town until the 19th and the notice says shipping will resume on the 20th. 

Yankee Dabbler appears to have them in stock.  It's been a few years but I have ordered from them before with no complaints.

https://yankeedabbler.com/58823-esu-loksound-ver-5-dcc-micro-with-wires-generic-ready-for-programming-scales-ho-part-397-58823/

John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2023, 07:57:26 AM »
+1
Hey Jeff - good to hear that the topic on coreless motors will be of use to you.

It sounds like you don’t have a LokProgrammer.  I strongly encourage you to pick one up.  In addition to enabling you to download just about any sound project imaginable, it also opens up an entirely new and fascinating aspect of the hobby.  For what it can do, it is affordable indeed … the ol’ “worth-its-weight-in-gold” thing!

JeffB

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2023, 08:01:29 AM »
My go to store for ESU is usually Streamlined Backshop.  They currently have 92 LS 5 Micro/wires in stock
https://store.sbs4dcc.com/ESU58823LokSound5MicroNMRADCCSoundDecoder-Hardwire.aspx

However Bryan is out of town until the 19th and the notice says shipping will resume on the 20th. 

Yankee Dabbler appears to have them in stock.  It's been a few years but I have ordered from them before with no complaints.

https://yankeedabbler.com/58823-esu-loksound-ver-5-dcc-micro-with-wires-generic-ready-for-programming-scales-ho-part-397-58823/

Thanks John!  Will place an order with Bryan later today.

Jeff

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
  • Respect: +2097
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2023, 08:13:02 AM »
+1
I would second the recommendation on investing in a Lok Programmer.
Trying to set up Loksound decoders only using CV values is akin to typing DOS commands to use a computer.
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure

JeffB

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2023, 08:30:29 AM »
Hey Jeff - good to hear that the topic on coreless motors will be of use to you.

It sounds like you don’t have a LokProgrammer.  I strongly encourage you to pick one up.  In addition to enabling you to download just about any sound project imaginable, it also opens up an entirely new and fascinating aspect of the hobby.  For what it can do, it is affordable indeed … the ol’ “worth-its-weight-in-gold” thing!

Thanks Dwight and Jim...

It's going on the "Christmas List"...  I'm a bit of a gadget/tool hound, so I can definitely see the need for it in the near future.

Jefff

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4622
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2023, 08:42:23 AM »
+2
I also buy my decoders (ESU and other brands) from Bryan at Streamlined Backshop.  He will load the sound file onto the decoder for you.  But as others mentioned , I  have also bought a LokpProgrammer.  The LokSound decoders are so flexible (as far as remapping functions goes) and  there are so many CVs that manually reprogramming the CVs one-at-a time, is a very daunting task.  LokProgrammer makes this a breeze.  Plus of course it gives you the flexibility to load any sound project right in your workshop.  Alternately, for a free solution, the JMRI DecoderPro will make the CV programming easier, but it does not upload sound files to the decoder.

For  most of us, once we get bit by the LokSound bug, we go all the way.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1816
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2023, 09:08:24 AM »
Lombard is another good (and fast) (and cheap) source, for example:

https://lombardhobby.com/esu-dcc-decoder-58823-loksound-v5-micro-with-single-wires-blank-decoder/

They will load sound files for you.

JeffB

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2023, 01:40:28 PM »
Lombard is another good (and fast) (and cheap) source, for example:

https://lombardhobby.com/esu-dcc-decoder-58823-loksound-v5-micro-with-single-wires-blank-decoder/

They will load sound files for you.

Thanks Gary...  Will check them out.

I also buy my decoders (ESU and other brands) from Bryan at Streamlined Backshop.  He will load the sound file onto the decoder for you.  But as others mentioned , I  have also bought a LokpProgrammer.  The LokSound decoders are so flexible (as far as remapping functions goes) and  there are so many CVs that manually reprogramming the CVs one-at-a time, is a very daunting task.  LokProgrammer makes this a breeze.  Plus of course it gives you the flexibility to load any sound project right in your workshop.  Alternately, for a free solution, the JMRI DecoderPro will make the CV programming easier, but it does not upload sound files to the decoder.

For  most of us, once we get bit by the LokSound bug, we go all the way.  :)

I'm sure I will Peteski!

For you guys that have a LokProgrammer...  Does it allow you to manipulate the sound files themselves?

I ask because the project I bought the v5 Micro and GE 44 ton "Caterpillar" sound file for has a single "Cat" engine (D13000).  I'm wondering if I could use the LokProgrammer to "shut off" the second engine sound, though I'm not sure that the only time you are aware that there's two of them is when the second "starts up".

Would also like to play around with the "Goose" sound file when I get around to getting one for another project.

Jeff

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2023, 02:00:27 PM »
+1
While I have not done that yet, not only you can manipulate most existing sound projects, you can create ones from scratch.  The regular LokSound manual is not very informative, but there is also a more informative manual available which gives you a primer on creating your own sound projects.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 02:23:11 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
  • Respect: +2097
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2023, 02:05:21 PM »
+2
Jeff,

Yes, it is possible to use that sound file as a single engine.
The dual engine is just the same engine duplicated and mapped to run as a second occurrence which can be turned off.
I use the same dual engine file in my N Scale 44 tonner and adjusted the speed and volume of the second occurrence slightly to better discern there are two engines.
With the Lokprogrammer and the free downloadable software you can adjust each  individual sound contained within a sound project.
Most downloadable sound projects contain multiple horns, bells and various sounds that can be tailored to your specific needs.

Jim
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure

JeffB

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2023, 02:43:13 PM »
While I have not done that yet, not only you can manipulate most existing sound projects, you can create ones from scratch.  The regular LokSound manual is not very informative, but there is also a more informative manual available which gives you a primer on creating your own sound projects.

Jeff,

Yes, it is possible to use that sound file as a single engine.
The dual engine is just the same engine duplicated and mapped to run as a second occurrence which can be turned off.
I use the same dual engine file in my N Scale 44 tonner and adjusted the speed and volume of the second occurrence slightly to better discern there are two engines.
With the Lokprogrammer and the free downloadable software you can adjust each  individual sound contained within a sound project.
Most downloadable sound projects contain multiple horns, bells and various sounds that can be tailored to your specific needs.

Jim

Thanks guys...  That's exactly the answer I was looking for!  Going to shop for a LokProgrammer tonight, so far the least expensive one I can find is through Bryan at Streamlined Backshop.  Of course I placed the order for the decoder earlier today, so I'd end up paying shipping twice (unless I can contact him about it before he ships the decoder).

Thanks for your help everyone...  It's great to have you guys as a resource.  Finally good to be jumping into DCC sound after resisting it for years.

Jeff

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2023, 03:45:20 PM »
Thanks guys...  That's exactly the answer I was looking for!  Going to shop for a LokProgrammer tonight, so far the least expensive one I can find is through Bryan at Streamlined Backshop.  Of course I placed the order for the decoder earlier today, so I'd end up paying shipping twice (unless I can contact him about it before he ships the decoder).

Bryan is super nice to deal with. If you contact him (and if he can), he should be able to merge the orders.  You might also be eligible for free shipping (only $1) for handling.  I usually buy enough to qualify for that.  But the free shipping option is not very intuitive ( I always have to look for it).
. . . 42 . . .

JeffB

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2023, 04:48:25 PM »
Bryan is super nice to deal with. If you contact him (and if he can), he should be able to merge the orders.  You might also be eligible for free shipping (only $1) for handling.  I usually buy enough to qualify for that.  But the free shipping option is not very intuitive ( I always have to look for it).

I'll give that a shot tomorrow (when he's back in the shop).  I think his phone number is on the website.

Jeff

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2023, 05:16:57 PM »
+1
I'll give that a shot tomorrow (when he's back in the shop).  I think his phone number is on the website.

Jeff

Contact info:
https://store.sbs4dcc.com/contact-us.aspx
. . . 42 . . .