Author Topic: Hidden staging yard camera system  (Read 1319 times)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
Hidden staging yard camera system
« on: December 20, 2022, 05:19:05 PM »
Looking for advice/recommendations on something I know very little about..

Many years ago, I bought an inexpensive B&W monitor and two small cameras to help me operate a staging yard in a room (garage) adjacent to the train room. It's worked reasonably well,  although the low resolution makes it difficult to read track numbers, especially for visiting operators. See pics.

Given recent improvements in this kind of technology, I'm thinking of replacing and possibly expanding the system to include two additional cameras, for a total of four. I don't need particularly high resolution, or even color (although that's the norm today). The cameras should be small and unobtrusive, and I would like a dedicated, fixed position monitor or two (no cell phones pls). I would prefer a self contained, free standing system not running through my household Wi-Fi. I even saved a couple of nice PC monitors with the vague notion I could use them "someday" for this purpose. If that's not possible, I'd consider using cheap tablets, but I'd really want this to be a self contained system. Split screen capability would be nice.
And, I don't want to spend any more than necessary.

Thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks, Otto K.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
Re: Hidden staging yard camera system
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 08:03:53 PM »
Rodney, but what if I don't want to back out of staging though :P
Thanks, looks simple enough, it's a good option and I may yet go for it.
Preferably, I would like a larger monitor though, with a split screen for two cameras, one at each end of the staging yard. My current cheapo monitor can be set for either cam, or to scroll through both at a selected interval. Being able to see both ends at once would be useful.
Otto

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 08:52:02 PM »
How about looking for an inexpensive  close circuit video security system? eBay, amazon?
. . . 42 . . .

eagle5473

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 10:45:19 PM »
Look at WYZE cameras $35 and can run on a phone or tablet to view it.  Available as t Home Depot or Amazon

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 11:09:55 PM »
I was going to suggest the same but Otto doesn't want a Wi-Fi camera.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 11:26:10 PM »
How about HeimVision HM243 8CH 1080P WIFI NVR Security Camera System 12" LCD Monitor IP66
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HeimVision-8CH-1080P-WIFI-NVR-Outdoor-IR-Security-Camera-System-12-LCD-Monitor-/404038024150

Or something similar?
. . . 42 . . .

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +363
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 12:21:09 AM »
How about HeimVision HM243 8CH 1080P WIFI NVR Security Camera System 12" LCD Monitor IP66
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HeimVision-8CH-1080P-WIFI-NVR-Outdoor-IR-Security-Camera-System-12-LCD-Monitor-/404038024150

I can't imagine a better system.   I mean, I would probably do something a little different if WiFi wasn't excluded but this should definitely do the trick at a VERY good price.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 11:36:35 PM by Rivet Miscounter »
Doug

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2022, 12:55:27 AM »
Peteski--How are the cameras powered in the HeimVision system that you suggested?
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

NtheBasement

• Crew
  • Respect: +287
    • Moving coal in N scale
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2022, 08:34:36 AM »

Or something similar?
The blue print says camera only.  Confusing as all get-out.

This one includes 2 cams and a receiving monitor, no idea if it is any good but at least its clear about what is included: https://www.ebay.com/itm/155275808372
Moving coal the old way: https://youtu.be/RWJVt4r_pgc
Moving coal the new way: https://youtu.be/sN25ncLMI8k

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2022, 08:55:57 AM »
I just went to eBay and did a search for close circuit video systems. I have no personal experience with it, or know any more details over what is mentioned in the listing.  It seemed to fit the requirements. It has 4 cameras and a 12" screen with split screen display of all 4 cameras.  And a price that is less than many singe cameras.  I figured that for the price it might be worth to get and experiment with it.

As for clarity of the information in the listing, it is a typical  inexpensive Chinese item. Clear as mud and often ambiguous.  But the specs show:
Type: Complete System
Items Included: Camera
Number of Cameras Included: 4
Number of Zones:8
Connectivity:Wi-Fi, Wireless
Number of Channels:8
Surveillance Technology:CCTV

For $33 it is would be worth a try.  That is  less than some N scale boxcars!  The seller also take returns (if you pay shipping).

Actually that almost seems too good to be true, as the identical system is also sold for $100 on other listings like https://www.ebay.com/itm/125605991439 . Then again, I see quite a price variations for the same item in multiple listings on eBay and amazon.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 10:30:02 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2022, 09:17:36 PM »
First, let me say THANK YOU for the responses. Some of you (Peteski) even went into the trouble of doing research for me. Appreciated.
But, as I said in my OP, I know very little about this and the eBay and other descriptions of "systems" are confusing and ambiguous, at least when I did my own research. As Nthebasement observed, confusing as all-get out :P

I was kind of hoping to get feedback from folks who actually have experience with these things. Because of my lack of understanding of how such systems work, I may not even be asking the right questions. When I said I'd prefer no WiFi, I meant I don't want it to be connected to the internet, I don't need to upload video, nor do I need or want to record and store data in the cloud. I do like the idea of wireless cameras for the flexibility of location selections, but it's not essential. My existing system's monitor plugs into the wall and the cameras have wired connections to it and that's ok.

About my comment re: Wi-Fi use: I'd rather not use my home cable-connected Wi-Fi for this; we seem to have enough trouble keeping our TV's, PC, laptop and iPads all in synch and working properly. If I were to acquire another Wi-Fi router just for this I'd need to connect to the same cable network, right? Sorry for the dumb question, just confirming my assumptions.

Is there anything in the way of "closed circuit systems" out there that might fit my needs?
Again, your thoughts and advice are appreciated.
Otto

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2022, 09:59:10 PM »
Otto,
I think that in today's world you won't find a CCTV system using physical cables for communication, or even a dedicated (non WiFi) radio link between the cameras and the base.  Maybe I should say "for reasonable cost".

I have no personal knowledge about the CCTV system I found on eBay, but I assume that it either sets up its own WiFi network for the video stream sent from the cameras, or maybe it uses your existing WiFi network to communication (internally).  But I'm not 100% sure.  However for $40 it might be worth getting it and playing with it.  I believe the seller takes returns.

. . . 42 . . .

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +363
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2022, 11:56:32 PM »
+1
OK, so I dug into this Heimvision eBay system a little more.   Here is what I think to be true:

1. The price is indeed for an add-on camera only.  If you do the drop down under "Model Option", there is a choice for  the NVR with Screen ($118), NVR without Screen ($111), and Extra Camera. ($38)
2. It does have its own wifi network and does NOT require a wifi router.   It will work standalone, or you can connect to your router via Ethernet cable if you want to access the cameras from phone/cloud.

More information: https://www.heimvision.com/products/heimvision-hm243-1080p-nvr-security-camera-system-with-12-inch-lcd-monitor

If it works well, I still think this probably meets the requirements pretty well.   Of course, the price isn't the slam dunk it was at $38.  But being able to easily isolate it is a nice feature.

I look forward to other input on this.  Probably something a lot of us would like to have more information about.
Doug

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2022, 12:05:57 AM »
That is useful info.  So on the listing I pointed to earlier I selected 8 channel NVR with LCD monitor for $119.  I wonder if that includes 4 cameras?  Those listings are indeed tricky!
. . . 42 . . .