Author Topic: Kadee 119 as a replacement for Sergent Coupler  (Read 540 times)

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
Kadee 119 as a replacement for Sergent Coupler
« on: November 06, 2022, 12:20:51 PM »
Now that Sergent is somewhat in limbo.  I am thinking about switching to Kadee scale couplers.  The 119 meets my requirements.  I manually uncouple.  Any tips or handy insights?

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
Re: Kadee 119 as a replacement for Sergent Coupler
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 02:58:58 PM »
Thankfully, I bought a 100-pack of Sergent Engineering couplers not long before the owner announced his retirement.   While I have used up most of those couplers, I truly have a larger fleet than I need.  So, any additions to the fleet going forward should meet with the decommissioning of other pieces of rolling stock or motive power and the reuse of those couplers on the new equipment.  That said, I am concerned about a shortage of the ball bearings and springs, which are easily lost during maintenance.  So, @Spades, if you have any part of your decommissioned couplers that you would want to part with, let’s talk.

Thanks,
DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 04:00:37 PM »
Now that Sergent is somewhat in limbo. ...

Not really, they are folks actively working on producing these.   Sorry if my previous thread gave the wrong impression.

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=54958.msg754026#msg754026

Ed

Hawghead

• Crew
  • Respect: +323
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 10:45:11 AM »
Now that Sergent is somewhat in limbo.  I am thinking about switching to Kadee scale couplers.  The 119 meets my requirements.  I manually uncouple.  Any tips or handy insights?

Actually you can get the Sergents style coupler from Eric Xing on EBay right now.  He has most styles currently in stock, but they will go fast.  Here's a link https://www.ebay.com/itm/144707626419  just go to the description and you'll be able to see which coupler styles he has in stock.  Then just message him with what you want and he'll message back with a link to a personal invoice for your order.  Additionally JL Innovative Design is taking pre-orders for his die cast "E" style coupler "kits" (they are not assembled)  I understand they are the same as his brass castings but much less expensive.

Scott
There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug-n-play.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2022, 11:37:19 AM »
FWIW - I've just placed an order for some of the brass HOEL and HOEXLS (longer shank varieties) and the package is enroute.  This is the first time thru the process for me, so I will report further on them when they arrive.

These parts are the extra length shanks and are supposed to be pre-assembled.  I am planning to order the standard shank HOE version as soon as these become available as a die-cast part (which is supposed to be lower cost).

Ed

Hawghead

• Crew
  • Respect: +323
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2022, 01:02:21 PM »
Ed,

I bought two pairs of his E style couplers just to check them out and I can tell you they are fantastic.  They look great and work flawlessly.  He put the Sharon style up on his Ebay site and I bought him out of the short shank version.

Scott
There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug-n-play.