Author Topic: MTL August newsletter is up  (Read 1528 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +2720
    • www.bbussey.net
MTL August newsletter is up
« on: August 01, 2022, 01:25:23 AM »
+1
August releases are not yet on the website front page, but the link to the Micro-News PDF is live.

http://www.micro-trains.com/publicfiles/monthly/MN2208.pdf

The media kit link is live as well.

https://www.micro-trains.com/archives/mediakit/medkit2208.html?mtl=2208
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +102
Re: MTL August newsletter is up
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 03:17:42 AM »
Yes! Virginian passenger cars!  :D

Those CSX hoppers look very nice, I may be getting more than one pack. The log car multi-pack also has me interested.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1111
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 07:54:44 AM »
Loads amd a CSX waffle and a UP box to boot.  August just got way more expensive.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 11:23:50 AM »
+3
Am I the only one to notice the see thru PS-1 roofwalks? Other than that the ATSF and CB&Q boxes are tempting, but nothing is screaming 'must have'.
Sacramento Valley NTrak

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 11:30:45 AM »
+1
Am I the only one to notice the see thru PS-1 roofwalks? Other than that the ATSF and CB&Q boxes are tempting, but nothing is screaming 'must have'.

Not the only one - I'm interested in exactly those 3 things this month.  (Thought it is wise to speak up, so we can get more like that.)

But, where is that baggage/coach combine with paired windows?

StewRRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +80
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 11:37:03 AM »
That log car 6 pack is going to hurt along with the CSX/TTX boxes.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +694
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 05:04:06 PM »
I probably will at some point get some of the new roofwalks to retrofit PS-1 cars, but....well, first I need to separate my collection into cars that are accurate PS-1 schemes and numbers from all the stand ins that are pretending to be AAR 1937 cars, etc.

I was initially ready to put down some money on the ATSF and CB&Q single sheathed cars- but I guess I've just spent too many years studying prototype to accept more 1918 USRA cars pretending to be something else. I understand that MTL just uses their USRA cars for ANY AND EVERY wood sheathed boxcar from 1900 to 1950- but the least they could do is follow Atlas lead and make a steel door to fit, even if nobody does dreadnought ends for wood cars anymore.

I find this sort of thing particularly disappointing because there are so many prototypical USRA cars (USRA and clones of the early 1920s) that could be done in 40s and 50s paint schemes, but instead they go after foobies and stand ins.

https://prototopics.blogspot.com/2020/10/sunshine-models-burlington-xm-29.html - I would argue that the IM "war emergency" car, with its dreadnought ends and steel door is much closer.

atsfnscalemodels.com has a kit for the zinc car (and other Bx3/Bx6 variation)

Tom D.

If you don't know what it is, don't throw it out.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +278
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 07:41:02 PM »

I am in for the Q and ATSF cars.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +2720
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 08:28:14 PM »
+3
I find this sort of thing particularly disappointing because there are so many prototypical USRA cars (USRA and clones of the early 1920s) that could be done in 40s and 50s paint schemes, but instead they go after foobies and stand ins.

You should let MTL know if you have some roads/schemes in mind. They would be happy to get suggestions that are prototypically-correct for their models.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +5487
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2022, 09:59:57 PM »
You should let MTL know if you have some roads/schemes in mind. They would be happy to get suggestions that are prototypically-correct for their models.

Here here.

They're really appreciative of research done for them.

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +80
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2022, 07:44:31 AM »
Not the only one - I'm interested in exactly those 3 things this month.  (Thought it is wise to speak up, so we can get more like that.)

Same for me...

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +694
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2022, 02:10:57 PM »
Here here.

They're really appreciative of research done for them.

I have made some suggestions over the years, but you guys are probably right that it would be more constructive for me to compile research  and pass it along.  I've had a LOT more success doing that with small companies (passenger car sides and decals) than with large companies, but it can't hurt to try again.  Combines come to mind.  Maybe I'll figure out which one I want most ('cause if they only do one baggage car and one diner, they won't be doing 3 combine prototypes) and send them a file.  But I will also try to keep notes as I come across photos of USRA boxcars still in use in the 1950s.

You know, for those with the design skills and a 3D printer or a casting set up....retrofit parts for USRA cars could be a cottage industry.  That probably applies to many other boxcar types as well.
Tom D.

If you don't know what it is, don't throw it out.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +557
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2022, 02:36:29 PM »
+2
I think I now have a TBOX addiction   :D :facepalm:

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +5487
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2022, 02:41:57 PM »
One other thing to keep in mind is that you need to stay within their lane too.

Like, a cool weathered scheme that can be applied to a car they already make and will have widespread appeal? No brainer.

A car that only ran on one train for five years? Definitely a harder sell.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +443
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2022, 04:46:58 PM »
+1
I've had a LOT more success doing that with small companies (passenger car sides and decals) than with large companies, but it can't hurt to try again. 

Micro-Trains is a small company. As others have mentioned, they are very appreciative of useful information submissions.