Author Topic: Weekend Update 7-17-22  (Read 2942 times)

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1302
Re: Weekend Update 7-17-22
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2022, 11:14:58 AM »
+2
Piroshky, Piroshky was always a can't miss when I went to the City.  I haven't set foot in Seattle for almost 3 years now.
They chose to close another prime location off 3rd and Pine earlier this year.
Continually dealing with rampant unsavory behavior from people on the streets near that location caused people to fear going near there.
A fatal shooting in front of their store was the last straw.
McDonalds even closed a location close by.
Give me a heads up if you're in town again.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1851
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2022, 11:33:25 AM »
Nope, it actually IS the OG. Store #1. I had wanted to go in, but with 36 hours in town, ain't nobody got time for that.
Instead we went to Piroshky Piroshky which had a four person line (but not for long).

OK, so it is Mecca. Still... :|

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +5588
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2022, 11:34:34 AM »
Give me a heads up if you're in town again.

I will. We really want to get back out there. Seems like all sorts of cool stuff to check out. This one was a real barnstorming act though: arrive 10pm Friday, fly out 9am Sunday.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2022, 11:36:11 AM »
OK, so it is Mecca. Still... :|

Yeah. It's why I was more than happy to get the photo and my espresso across the street at the chocolate place. I don't know what it is with chocolatiers, but I've had some of the best coffee of my life at them. The other place was Bizz and Weezy in KC: https://www.bizzandweezy.com/

Bulbous

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2022, 07:33:00 PM »
+1

https://www.margaretriver.com/things-to-do/attractions/historical-sites-museums/a-tale-of-was-first-steam-locomotive/

This was a surprise to see on the weekend update! I spent a lot of time in Busselton from the early 1980s through to the mid 1990s, and used to climb on that loco every time we went to town. We also used to play in the railway yard with all of the other kids in town when the parents/grandparents used to go to the shops, push wagons round the weeds, etc. Only one to two trains per week by the mid-1980s, and it was closed down by the late-1980s and the station and yard turned into a shopping centre and carpark.

Somewhere in the family photo albums we have a few very similar images of me and my brothers climbing all over the loco in that park. About a decade ago the loco was moved into the current location and cosmetically restored - a nice job done all round. The only railway likely now for Busselton is a station on a through line between Bunbury and the Dunsborough/Margaret River region in the next ten to twenty years, pending outcomes of the feasibility study being done now.

Cheers,

Matt

x600

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2022, 12:54:07 AM »
I will. We really want to get back out there. Seems like all sorts of cool stuff to check out.

Hey @wazzou  we can arrange to take him for a ride on the Mud Bay and Southern.

Greg O.

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +382
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2022, 03:22:26 AM »
Oh man, do you think Jim would go for an a$$hat meeting at the MB&S?
I'd be in, as long as I wasn't working

Mike

Hey @wazzou  we can arrange to take him for a ride on the Mud Bay and Southern.

Greg O.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2022, 09:27:50 AM »
+2
That would be incredible. I've been impressed by that layout since I first saw it like 15 years ago in N Scale.

The trip reminded me a bit of the old days when I let my company plan my business travel. Get in, get it done, get out. Anymore I've added a bit more leisurely pace to it to build in "recovery time" ;)

Incidentally, I call this photo, "Recovery Time".

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

SD452XR

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2022, 05:28:26 PM »
Where did you pick up that case? I would like one like that.

A while back, Aaron @chessie system fan helped me mount a display case I acquired.

This is a the bulk of my Keeper Collection.  Many of these you have seen.  A few you have not.    One you have not seen is shelf 7, far left.  I was waiting for N-Scale Mag to publish the article, but it seems I may give up and post pictures for you one day.

All except a few of these locos are kitbashed, painted, or custom in some way. 
Top shelf is mostly steam and two HO pieces
Second self is unfinished kitbashes.
Third is GE

Fourth is EMD 6 axle
Fifth is mostly EMD 6 axle
Sixth is EMD 4 axle

Seventh is more EMD 4 axle and three Shays
Eighth is a mixture.

Thanks Aaron.