Author Topic: Peco track cleaning problem after ballasting  (Read 1078 times)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +934
Re: Peco track cleaning problem after ballasting
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2022, 02:39:47 AM »
DFF:  That's exactly how I glued mine!  I use the same technique for most of my scenery gluing as well.  No way would I spray diluted glue on track, or much of anything else.  Too hard to clean up.
N Kalanaga
Be well

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +3254
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2022, 02:57:28 AM »
Since the discussion turned to abrasive cleaning, I ditched the old Brite-Boy some time ago.  IMO, Brite-Boy is just an old fashion typewriter eraser block. fairly coarse.

Few years ago, at the Amherst show (in Springfield) I discovered a much better solution. Klingspor Sandflex Hand Block (fine). Made in Germany.  It is softer and has a finer abrasive than a Brite-Boy.  I bought few blocks from the dealer at the show, but it is also available online.

https://www.klingspor.com/Sandflex-240-Grit-Fine-3x2x3-4-with-Sleeve-53618
240 Grit, 3"x2"x3/4" with Sleeve

. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +4794
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2022, 03:05:58 AM »
This was the Atlas brite boy I was talking about:
https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/atlas-402-track-eraser/

When I use sand paper I try to stay 600 grit or higher and finish with 1000 or 1500. When I painted my VW I sanded all the way down to 6000  :scared: grit before buffing.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7008
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2022, 04:19:28 AM »
Since the discussion turned to abrasive cleaning, I ditched the old Brite-Boy some time ago.  IMO, Brite-Boy is just an old fashion typewriter eraser block. fairly coarse.

Brite Boys were originally "rust erasers," similar to these:

videobruce

• Crew
  • Respect: -2
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2022, 08:10:34 AM »
I would like to thank all who responded. I'll have to digest all the input.

I realize track cleaning is a 'hot' button.

videobruce

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2022, 10:08:07 AM »
DKS;
It looks like that might be the ticket.
I have an Exacto knife with a curved back I positioned between the rails, both at a 45 degree angle dragging it along so as to get both rails at one time. I made two passes, one in each direction. I came back with 91%Isopropyl Alcohol and rubbed it across those tracks (9 track 'class' yard) . It seemed to take care of 95+% of the problems.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7008
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2022, 10:21:40 AM »
Glad to hear it.

videobruce

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2022, 11:50:27 AM »
I did say "might". The jury's still out.

I watched that video and see he used that CMX track cleaner (now $200).  Kinda expensive.  :(

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +5761
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2022, 03:24:25 PM »
You don’t need that expensive track cleaning car.  If you want such a car, glue the heads of two brads to a scrap of Masonite, and you’ll have a hardboard pad that you can drag around under a freight car.  Just drill two holes in the underframe of the car, to accept the pointy ends of the brads.  The holes won’t be visible, so it doesn’t sacrifice a car.  The pad works great at a fraction of the cost.

Oh, and if you painted your track, be careful with the 91% isopropyl alcohol.  It’ll take the paint off.  Use 70% IPA instead.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +477
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2022, 05:51:05 PM »
+1
I did say "might". The jury's still out.

I watched that video and see he used that CMX track cleaner (now $200).  Kinda expensive.  :(

What Dave said.
I made this one up from an old 90’s Atlas boxcar in about 30 minutes. It works well after I added the extra weight over the trucks. [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Steve
Atascocita, Texas

EJN

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2022, 06:58:40 PM »
I use "fret paper" which is very fine grade sandpaper used for polishing guitar frets after crowning them (I own 3 guitars). I glue a piece of it to a small wood block with contact cement. I clean it by hand, not putting it on a freight car. I clean with #1500, then run #4000 over it which results in a mirror-like finish. Guitar frets are made from an alloy very similar to that used in nickel-silver track.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 12:55:18 AM by EJN »

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +454
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2022, 09:57:20 PM »
My experience with the home brew pads under freight cars is that they are not particularly good at getting the glue or paint off rails when somebody gets ballasting stuff on the rails.  Even Bright Boy erasers need a lot of force and repetition for that situation.  That is why I went to the eraser pencils, because I can put the force exactly where needed and nowhere else.

For routine maintenance, under-car pads seem to work well enough.  But, they do get dirty pretty fast, so require sanding if using Masonite and paper changes if using a cover material against the rails.  They never get the rails as clean as wiping them with solvent.

videobruce

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2022, 09:46:05 AM »
I'm wondering about this brownish dis-colorization between the unballasted (left) and the ballasted (right) track?  And no, no rail was painted;
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 09:51:04 AM by videobruce »

mplsjct

• Crew
  • Respect: +179
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2022, 09:37:39 AM »
+1
although it is too late now for your stubborn track, whenever I am ballasting a large area of truck, I lightly coat the tops of the rails with a wd40 marker after laying the ballast down but before soaking with water/glue, it makes cleaning afterward a little easier

https://www.amazon.com/WD-40-10075-No-Mess-0-26-Pack/dp/B000NV6YN8
I’m not here to argue

videobruce

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2022, 05:10:26 PM »
Interesting idea.  :o