Author Topic: Brass kit - N Scale camel back  (Read 1624 times)

160pennsy

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
Brass kit - N Scale camel back
« on: April 11, 2022, 08:39:42 AM »
+3
Decided to create a separate build thread here instead of continuing with the existing camel back thread under Product Discussion https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=40241.0  . I'll continue this story with some new photos and updates on the in-progress build.

Wanted to thank the Railwire members for posting details and discussions, starting back in 2016, on the Aspenmodel Camelback kit 30098 along with suitable N Scale Fleischmann steam 4-6-0 models that can be used to power the kit . After doing a little online research I decided to pull the trigger and purchase the brass kit. In tandem I was also able to source the OOP Fleischmann 716882 via eBay.  The photos below show kit contents and donor 4-6-0 steam loco.

First step in the instructions call for drilling a thru hole (1.5mm) in front of the lamp holder that is spaced 41mm from the existing rear boiler mounting hole. Used my Vernier calipers to mark the hole location and combination of cordless drill & pin vise to accomplish this task,

Second step - The round brass boiler needs to be temporarily attached to the cab section to see if the new parts fit correctly on the Fleischmann driver chassis. Most of the Aspenmodel cast brass parts come with sprue that needs to be cut away before proceeding with assembly. I used a Dremel with cut off disk to separate the cab piece from the sprue and for dressing up the remaining flash.

Next step - The brass boiler can be slid into the cab section and temporarily attached (tack soldered) after aligning the two sections using a small piece of phosphor bronze wire. Some filing / grinding of the cab interior bracing was required to allow correct fitment of the boiler.

Paul Ohegyi
Current Member
https://nrmrc.org/

160pennsy

• Crew
Re: Brass kit - N Scale camel back
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 09:03:18 AM »
+2
The Fleischmann decoder is attached to the chassis rear via double-sided tape. A vertical plastic section that holds the decoder, needs to be cut away from the chassis to allow room for the cab and boiler assembly. I wrapped the decoder in capton tape to prevent any shorts during the mock up & test runs. With the decoder mount removed I was now able to place the boiler/cab assembly onto the chassis and attach using the provided screws.

With the front mockup complete it was time to work on the tender. Same sprue removal tasks were performed as before (on the brass tender shell) and then it was test fit over the motor and rear wiring PC board.

Paul Ohegyi
Current Member

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +182
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 09:20:04 AM »
The kit comes as an oil burner.  There were not many oil burning camel backs.  SP did have one that it inherited from a swallowed road that it did convert to oil.  It did not last long.  I am not aware of any other oil burning camel backs. Perhaps CNJ, LV, NYO&W, D&H or Reading had a few that worked in urban areas with smoke abatement laws?

The camel back was invented to allow for the larger firebox required to burn hard coal.

I shall be interested in this topic.  I have been aware of that Aspenmodel camel back kit, but never have seen one.

Are both tender trucks geared on that Fleischmann?  It does appear most of the locomotive wheels and all of the tender wheels are live, which will help to keep contact.

Thank you for posting this.

160pennsy

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 09:32:09 AM »
+1

Are both tender trucks geared on that Fleischmann?  It does appear most of the locomotive wheels and all of the tender wheels are live, which will help to keep contact.

Thank you for posting this.

@brokemoto ...yes, both of the tender trucks are geared and all four corner wheels have traction tires. Here's a view of the tender undersides for reference. The front pilot wheels and all of the free rolling drivers have electrical pickup (wipers that ride on top of driver treads)- see below photo for details...

Paul Ohegyi
Current Member

160pennsy

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 09:39:54 AM »
+7
With the mockup & fitment of the boiler, cab and tender shell complete we decided to perform some quick test runs on my friends layout. Want to make sure that the drivers are not binding, no electrical shorts with the decoder or pickup strips and the tender drive was still working correctly. Took some videos to share with The Railwire...

Paul Ohegyi
Current Member

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 01:48:56 PM »
This will be a fun thread to watch.

If you are planning on this loco being DCC, there are much smaller decoders available From ESU and ZIMO for about 30-40 dollars.  Those would be easier to conceal than the large decoder which came with the loco.
. . . 42 . . .

160pennsy

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2022, 07:41:46 PM »
This will be a fun thread to watch.

If you are planning on this loco being DCC, there are much smaller decoders available From ESU and ZIMO for about 30-40 dollars.  Those would be easier to conceal than the large decoder which came with the loco.

@peteski ...For now I will continue using the factory Fleischmann decoder but may ultimately chose an upgrade to ESU sound. Trying to plan for where to locate a speaker w/enclosure - possibly behind the cab inside the casting. The tender has a factory metal weight that sits behind the motor so there's not much available space back there.
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2022, 08:15:55 PM »
That is one of the problems with tender-driven locos (especially ones with small tenders) -- tough finding space for sound decoder and speaker.
I do  have a Fleischmann tender-driven steam loco with a Zimo decoder factory installed.  They installed the decoder and sugar cube speaker with small enclosure in the loco's boiler.  But it is a much larger loco than the one you have.
. . . 42 . . .

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2042
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2022, 02:54:18 PM »
+2
Agreed, great thread to watch and was always curious about this.  With tender drive in the rear, double traction axles, and electrical pickup in the front, seems like it's well-enough engineered.   And it looks good and appears to run well.

But good lord, an oil-fired Camelback?   The only reason they were ever built was because anthracite burned so low that the firebox was oversized and the cab wouldn't fit.  So stick a coal load in it, maybe high enough to hide some stuff under it you need.

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/rdg605s.jpg

Notice the coal pile is just about higher than the cab roof.   speaker anyone?

Great thread though.

160pennsy

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2022, 03:42:28 PM »
Agreed, great thread to watch and was always curious about this.  With tender drive in the rear, double traction axles, and electrical pickup in the front, seems like it's well-enough engineered.   And it looks good and appears to run well.

But good lord, an oil-fired Camelback?   The only reason they were ever built was because anthracite burned so low that the firebox was oversized and the cab wouldn't fit.  So stick a coal load in it, maybe high enough to hide some stuff under it you need.

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/rdg605s.jpg

Notice the coal pile is just about higher than the cab roof.   speaker anyone?

Great thread though.

@randgust...On my to-do list is installing a MT coupler on the tender and seeing what the pulling power is on level track. With the new cast brass parts the weight has increased significantly over the stock Fleischmann loco. The kit does come as oil-fired but I will not be using those parts. Would any of the talented designers on Railwire (w/3D printers) be interested in creating a coal load (that can be added on top of the brass tender) with a speaker enclosure inside? This assembly should also include the riveted side pieces that extend above the tender top. I can post additional photos of the tender with some basic measurements  - I would be willing to pay for any final product.
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +384
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2022, 12:19:03 AM »
As I mentioned previously, I’ve done a little research into Wooten firebox engines.  Somebody will come up with examples, but I’ve never run across an oil fired Wooten.  The whole purpose of the wide firebox was to get a big grate that could still be coated with shovels (pre-stoker and many had two firebox doors so two firemen could reach the corners).   The bigger grate was necessary for slow burning/low btu/or poor coal that had to be spread thin to fire properly.
I would cut out the oil bunker, saving it for a better future project. 
Charlie Vlk

160pennsy

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2022, 10:44:10 PM »
+3
Got some more work done on the AspenModel brass kit back in June 2022 before packing up my trains, tools, small diorama (for entry into model contest), road trip snacks and hauling the club trailer full of N-TRAK modules out to Nashville, TN for the convention. Most of the photos should be self explanatory. I have also added a Micro-Trains coupler to the tender but have not uploaded those pictures yet.

Paul Ohegyi
Current Member