Author Topic: HOn2 from Z?  (Read 1174 times)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
HOn2 from Z?
« on: April 07, 2022, 01:49:47 AM »
I got to wondering, at work tonight, if anyone had tried modeling 2 ft gauge, in HO, using Z gauge mechanisms?  The gauge would have to widened, but only 0.5 mm, or 0.02 inches, so the original axles would work fine.  Marklin's wheels work fine on code 40 rail, even hand-spiked if one is very careful, so that isn't a problem. 

Anyone?
N Kalanaga
Be well

JeffB

• Crew
  • Respect: +161
Re: HOn2 from Z?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 08:52:00 AM »
I got to wondering, at work tonight, if anyone had tried modeling 2 ft gauge, in HO, using Z gauge mechanisms?  The gauge would have to widened, but only 0.5 mm, or 0.02 inches, so the original axles would work fine.  Marklin's wheels work fine on code 40 rail, even hand-spiked if one is very careful, so that isn't a problem. 

Anyone?

It's been done, but not often.  Busch offers HO scale "Feldbahn" equipment gauged for Z scale track.  There's also a few other small German/European manufacturer's that have offered larger Feldbahn steam locomotives gauged for the same. 

Not sure about re-gauging Marklin mechanisms, but I suppose it could be done.  The most critical part would be to ensure that the wheels were still snug on the axles and that they are mounted square to them. 

I've dabbled in HOn2 for years, but I built my own 7mm gauge mechanisms and track.  Years ago I had NWSL do a large custom run of HO 20" wheelsets to HOn2 to fit the old Grandt HOn30 trucks and a smaller batch of wheelsets to fit Micro Trains N scale trucks.  I sold most of them off a few years back to someone that was going to gauge them back to N gauge.

Anyway...  Give it a shot.  I'd try to acquire a used Marklin mechanism to try it with though.  I wouldn't want to pay top dollar for a new loco to experiment with.

Good Luck...

Jeff

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 01:15:29 PM »
+1
The Busch HOf stuff come out to HOn22. I made a small Whitcomb and mini layout for it:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SWAtbHIvDzMXZ19n1

I used Atlas Z scale flex with every other tie removed.

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 02:10:29 AM »
Jeff:  Interesting,  Thank you!  No, I have no interest in trying it, all of my Marklin stuff is already Nn3.  If anyone does try it, the wheels only need to be moved out 0.01 inches each, and are wide enough that there would still be plenty of wheel on the axle.  Just a tweak with a gear puller would do the job.

Chris333:  Yes, straight Z gauge is about HO 22 inches, probably close enough for most modelers, and the wheels are already very close to prototype HO.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2022, 03:24:09 AM »
You know I somehow completely forgot that I built the HOf right here:
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=43748.msg559318#msg559318
Still have the layout stacked up somewhere.  :|

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2022, 02:02:14 AM »
I forgot that you'd done that as well.  Looking at it, I can remember it, and see that I even commented on it!

How did the metal strip work out?  My Nn3 doesn't need it, and HOf should have at least as much weight on the drivers as Nn3.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2022, 02:16:23 AM »
The metal worked great, but in the video you can hear a slight surge at each metal joint. Think I should have cut the ends at a 45. But they run great. I know a few have taken the magnet out and ran they with remote control using a battery. Seriously I have no idea how RC is not more popular than DCC.

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2022, 12:51:30 AM »
Probably because, until recently, rechargeable batters were either too large, or had too little capacity, and took too long to charge.

Today, a good battery could fit in an N scale diesel fuel tank, or most steam boilers, and would give extra weight.

A new problem, especially in urban areas, is interference from all of the other wireless devices!
N Kalanaga
Be well

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8035
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2022, 05:16:32 PM »
The Busch HOf stuff come out to HOn22. I made a small Whitcomb and mini layout for it:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SWAtbHIvDzMXZ19n1

I used Atlas Z scale flex with every other tie removed.

Haha, this does NOT surprise me.