Author Topic: IM Cab Forward possible sound installation  (Read 707 times)

keeper

• Crew
  • Gichi-Gami Railroad
  • Respect: +316
IM Cab Forward possible sound installation
« on: March 07, 2022, 07:56:21 AM »
Hi there,

I have a IM AC12 Cab Forward in which I installed a Digitrax decoder, either a DN136PS or DZ126PS. I'm not sure right now, need to look that up...
Anyway, it seems that this decoder has given up working, so I'm thinking about installing a sound decoder.

This is what I think might be a good solution right now:
ESU LokSound micro 5 #58810
Sound file for the BigBoy

I'm open to other suggestions.

Thomas  :)
Thomas

Ageing is inevitable - maturity is optional.

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +925
Re: IM Cab Forward possible sound installation
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 08:41:55 AM »
The 58810 is a multi-protocol decoder; you don't need a multi-protocol.  Save yourself a few bucks and get the 58820 (DCC only) if you want to use an 8 pin plug.

However, what I'd do (and have done) is use the #58823, wired LokSound 5 DCC micro and a KA-1 keep alive from TCS, along with a 13x18mm "cell phone" (a/k/a sugar cube) speaker in its own enclosure inside the tender.  To fit all this in, you'll have to take out the original pc board and hard-wire everything instead of using an 8 pin plug with the old board.  You don't need the old board, and hard wiring will take about an extra 15 minutes once you know which wires go to what; my recollection from many years ago is that the board is marked, but you might have to do some wire tracing to figure everything out.  You may be able to fit everything in even without taking out the old board, but I doubt it.  Adding the TCS KA-1 keep alive is well worth it, even with a loco this large that has 24 wheels picking up power (use the TCS KA-1 in all my steam locos, including the Athearn Big Boy I have).

Big Boy sound file is what I used, along with the SP Daylight whistle, but the Challenger file also works - actually pretty much any "heavy" steam file works, since you can set a CV to enable articulated chuffs even on the standard 2-cylinder files.  You should pick your file based upon which one has the best rendition of the SP whistle these days.  It's been five years since I did this to my AC-12 (using a wired LS Select micro back then), which I sold a couple of years ago.

John C.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 08:46:28 AM by jdcolombo »

keeper

• Crew
  • Gichi-Gami Railroad
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 08:47:46 AM »
Hi John,

Thanks for the info.
Is there another advantage in using the wired decoder apart from more room for the components over the 8 pin decoder?

Thomas
Thomas

jdcolombo

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 09:13:05 AM »
Nope.  The decoders are identical except for the 8-pin plug. 

John C.

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 10:26:06 AM »
Or, use sound project S0509, which has the unique Cab Forward sounds in it, as well
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

keeper

• Crew
  • Gichi-Gami Railroad
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 11:52:54 AM »
Of course! I haven't found that one.
I looked at the LokSound 5 files and selected the 'Steam' filter. Guess what, the Cab Forward file didn't show up, only if you don't select any filter....  :?

Thomas
Thomas

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 01:18:19 PM »
SoundTraxx has a decoder that is made for this locomotive. Has the special air compressor wheezing sounds.
Just has good has the ESU decoder IMO

jdcolombo

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 01:32:09 PM »
Yes, the cab-forward's air compressor sound is quite unique.  If there's a file with that sound in it, that's the one to use. 

John C.

keeper

• Crew
  • Gichi-Gami Railroad
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2022, 04:14:03 PM »
For me it is easier to get an ESU decoder. The sound file includes an air pump for the Cab Forward.
A pump and a compressor is not the same but maybe ESU means the same thing...

Thomas
Thomas