Author Topic: Home backdrop printing  (Read 4346 times)

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
Re: Home backdrop printing
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2022, 11:47:49 AM »
I am in awe of the perfect photo angles on that backdrop.  The depth of field from fascia to the photo horizon is spot on!

haasmarc

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2022, 12:26:00 AM »
Question for you, since I've decided I need one.

Why did you go for the 3170 instead of the 2170?

The 2170 just came out in the spring of 2020.  I bought my 3170 before then.  It looks like the specs are the same.  If it saves a little money, it's probably a good choice now.
Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5402
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2022, 12:19:28 PM »
The results are indeed impressive.
@Dave V when you added the photo backdrops from the actual locations modeled, it took the layout up several more notches beyond the top notch it already occupied.  The other examples are also pretty stunning.

When you're talking about showing a more or less natural environment, the photos really are the way to go, because they are uncluttered by man made ephemera that requires certain lighting and viewing angles to be effective in person, as well as in a well composed photo.  When I think of more urban or industrial modeling, I think it's harder to pull of a pure photo backdrop.  The hybrid use of flats, photos and paint gives you the most flexibility in how you compose the transition from the 3D world in front and the 2D world behind it.

The several photo backdrops with a built environment I've seen (commercially produced, not customized by the modeler) are pretty clumsy, I think we can all agree on that.  That was more my frame of reference than a majestic mountain, or a forested slope, or even a farm field.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7961
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2022, 04:56:55 PM »
+3
Ha, yeah, one of the big challenges is actually getting the images you need.

For example, this monstrosity is the work in progress for the backdrop of the Windsor St yard.

Click on it to see it in its horrendous glory.

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2411
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2022, 07:07:23 PM »
BARAILSYSTEMS on You Tube has big a$$ printer. His Canadian Rockies are insane.

Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2411
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2022, 07:13:21 PM »
The big issue here, if you don't live near the area you are modeling to take the pictures, you have to punt. I am
going through every picture of Hemet I can find, even storefront pictures to try to find ones that will work. The
closest commercial printed backdrops that are not the same volley of likeness are: LARC Products
www.larcproducts.com. I hate painted ones, I have a mountain now painted as a stand in until I can get pictures
or find a match from a backdrop producer. Hard to find western themes, all like Reading, PA.
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

CRR Chase

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2022, 03:10:52 PM »
+2
Ed,

I bought an Epson SC-T3170. 

I use Breathing Color Photo Peel Always paper which has a permanent adhesive.
https://www.breathingcolor.com/collections/wall-coverings/products/photo-peel-always?variant=32228749344864

I tried the plain Photo Peel and after a few days the backdrop started to take itself down.  The adhesive just wasn't good enough.

I have printed 2 backdrops so far.  One for me and one for a friend.  So far they are holding up very well.  They have been up for about 9 months.

The challenge is finding/taking the images and Photshopping them together and color correcting them.  Luckily my brother is a Photoshop whiz.  I bought a drone and have taken some panoramic shots with it but haven't printed those yet.

hello, I lurk here mostly, but wanted to ask about this. what program are you using to prepare, edit and print your images?

Thanks

haasmarc

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2023, 05:29:10 PM »
I use Photoshop.
Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +290
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2023, 08:59:49 PM »
Nominating for a "best of" thread sticky.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3125
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2023, 11:33:06 AM »
Nominating for a "best of" thread sticky.

Seconded.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2023, 10:03:40 AM »
+3
I'd be a jackass if I didn't post some follow up then!

I bought the SC-2170.
https://epson.com/For-Work/Printers/Large-Format/SureColor-T2170-24-Inch-Wireless-Printer/p/SCT2170SR

First, it is BIG! If you're getting one, make sure you have the space for it.

Second, it is excellent!
Prints quick. Setup was easy. Quality is good.

My only complaint, and this isn't necessarily the printer's fault, is in getting OSX to understand how to properly handle its paper sizes and auto cut off. It worked PERFECTLY the first time I used it, then I did something in the settings and haven't gotten it perfect since.

However, most of the time it just means I have extra paper expended.

Here are some photos of the output in use.

On TTRAK modules

Lastly, one of the things I heard was that "the ink will dry out before it runs out", so I've been looking for other fun projects to use it for.
One of my favorite things to do has been raid the local Goodwill store for cheap large frames then print things to go in them.

Here's a bit of copyright infringement enabled by a friend. It's a Charlie Amos painting of a Mutt n Jeff set of doubleheaded PRR steam on the NC.

My REAL favorite thing, though has been hooking up friends. I recently did a backdrop for @DeltaBravo that he hasn't had a chance to install yet. I'm REALLY excited about it though because not only did I get to use the printer, but I also COMPLETELY generated the thing digitally: there are no real photos in use. Modern Photoshop is crazy.

Anyway, if you're thinking about getting the printer and can put it to good use, DO IT. If you only need a little backdrop work done, let me know.

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2023, 11:17:26 AM »
wow...

great work all around....

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2023, 11:49:11 AM »
wow...

great work all around....

And you know that offer at the end most DEFINITELY extends to you. If you find some spots where you might need something, let me know. I'm amassing a collection of dead season source images now too.