Author Topic: Home backdrop printing  (Read 4341 times)

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
Re: Home backdrop printing
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2022, 07:04:41 AM »
+1
@haasmarc,

Those printed backdrops look fantastic.  The colors, lighting and contours match up and blend in perfectly with the layout scenery.  Hard to tell what is 3D and what is 2D. 

Scott

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7947
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2022, 10:43:22 AM »
Has anyone checked a printing place like Officemax to see what they are capable of?  Gotta be cheaper than buying a superprinter...

I know there are places around that can do what I'd need, but I like the ability to control the whole process and make adjustments. Like "oh *****, that road doesn't line up right", print it again.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2022, 10:44:08 AM »
+1
@haasmarc,

Those printed backdrops look fantastic.  The colors, lighting and contours match up and blend in perfectly with the layout scenery.  Hard to tell what is 3D and what is 2D. 

Scott

Yup. Especially this one right here.

That's why I really want this capability.

haasmarc

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2022, 11:16:08 AM »

Yup. Especially this one right here.

That's why I really want this capability.

Yeah, that's a perfect example.  I had that cut so the backdrop had to go down further than anywhere to the right.  I added more trees/foliage "below the horizon".  I took some printed trees and cut them out until I liked the way it looked and then had my brother add them to the backdrop.  The flexibility is really nice.
Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2022, 11:26:08 AM »
I can stare at that all day long!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4588
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2022, 02:31:19 PM »
Yes, Marc's backdrop is amazing!!  All the backdrops all have a "sweet" viewing spot. Those photos are likely taken from that vantage point.  Still, it is probably the best I have ever seen.
. . . 42 . . .

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5390
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2022, 09:37:54 PM »
+3
I remain a fervent proponent of painting the "sky" on the background walls, and using paint and textures to build up the basic scenery that rises to meet the sky.  While the photo backdrops are impressive, I don't want to ever feel stuck into designing my foreground scene so it blends with the pre-printed back drop.
And for structures that appear on the backdrop, my preference has always been to use photos of MODEL buildings, which are more similar in nature to the MODEL buildings on the layout, right down to appearing artificially lit.  Once nestled into the backdrop behind other models, it becomes more coherent for the eye to scan and for the brain to read, and to me, anyway, gives a much better illusion of depth, whether viewed in person or in a well composed photo.

This one is my favorite.  I took a picture of the bridge model, printed it and used it to blend into the painted background.

Lee
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 09:39:32 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2022, 09:43:03 PM »
+2
Lee, I respectfully disagree.

This simply blows and painting out of the water for realism.

But I should point out that there are different aims. I realized this while watching your great video on brass geared delights.

Some modeling is some is like an expressionist painting and some is like portraiture and some is like my beloved surrealism.

The technique employed all depends on your goal.

Your painted backdrops do a fantastic work of continuing the expressionist world you've created with your scenes.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 09:55:31 PM by Ed Kapuscinski »

nuno81291

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2022, 10:25:01 PM »
+4
Another excellent layout with photo backdrops is Neil Schofields CP Rail layout. Him and Mike Confalone nail it. Incredible stuff.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Guilford Rail System in the 80s/90s

trainzluvr

• Crew
  • Professional Wannabe
  • Respect: +85
    • Trains Luvr
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2022, 10:05:29 PM »
Uh oh those are amazing, but where do I get 120 feet of specific hi-res photos worthy of printing at this scale?

I doubt I could fly a drone across the border to U.S. and across the continent, from Ontario, to Montana, for a few snaps. :D

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2022, 10:21:52 PM »
+5
While the photo backdrops are impressive, I don't want to ever feel stuck into designing my foreground scene so it blends with the pre-printed back drop.

Lee

I'm gonna go ahead and respectfully disagree as well. As a prototype modeler, having the backdrop photos of the real places guides my foreground coloring and textures to match the real thing. If you can use real dirt from the real locations--as I was lucky enough to be able to do--so much the better. But when I say "respectfully," I mean it...I respect your position and your use of painted backdrops. There are definitely times and applications for which painted backdrops are more appropriate. I think of Dave Meek's amazing Thunder Mesa On30 work as an example of where hand-painted backdrops are not only better, but a necessity. However, for my RGS, photo backdrops were the way to go, to wit:

« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 10:37:58 PM by Dave V »

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2411
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2022, 09:21:02 PM »
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2411
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2022, 09:22:58 PM »
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2022, 07:26:39 AM »
+4
The photo backdrops are impressive -- but to use them effectively IMO you need to have the modeling skills to integrate them properly ..   In my case, I need to stick with painted backgrounds .. although I do include some photo cut outs in some areas ..

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2022, 11:33:15 AM »
Ed,

I bought an Epson SC-T3170. 

I use Breathing Color Photo Peel Always paper which has a permanent adhesive.
https://www.breathingcolor.com/collections/wall-coverings/products/photo-peel-always?variant=32228749344864

I tried the plain Photo Peel and after a few days the backdrop started to take itself down.  The adhesive just wasn't good enough.

I have printed 2 backdrops so far.  One for me and one for a friend.  So far they are holding up very well.  They have been up for about 9 months.

The challenge is finding/taking the images and Photshopping them together and color correcting them.  Luckily my brother is a Photoshop whiz.  I bought a drone and have taken some panoramic shots with it but haven't printed those yet.

Question for you, since I've decided I need one.

Why did you go for the 3170 instead of the 2170?