Author Topic: International Membership  (Read 1116 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
International Membership
« on: February 06, 2022, 10:02:58 PM »
I've enjoyed several exchanges with a rising N scaler who lives in India via Facebook.  He's a young guy in a country that doesn't offer much in the way of model railroading.
He's got a million questions, ranging from the usual about track or coupler selections, to some really good inquiries about scratch building and kit bashing.
I've referred him here, but it appears he is unable to reach the Railwire from his ISP.
He backs his inquiries up with some really solid modeling pictures, so I can say with confidence that the guy has chops.
Is there any restrictions placed on visitors from certain parts of the globe? And if so, is there a work around to let him participate here?
If you need more particulars, please PM me.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Chris333

• Crew
Re: International Membership
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 10:46:15 PM »
Probably the country he lives in blocks asshats  :ashat:

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 10:49:57 PM »
Probably the country he lives in blocks asshats  :ashat:

And who can blame them!
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

johnb

• Crew
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 02:40:57 AM »
I block many countries from my site through firewall rules....

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 06:06:55 AM »
I've enjoyed several exchanges with a rising N scaler who lives in India via Facebook.  He's a young guy in a country that doesn't offer much in the way of model railroading.
He's got a million questions, ranging from the usual about track or coupler selections, to some really good inquiries about scratch building and kit bashing.
I've referred him here, but it appears he is unable to reach the Railwire from his ISP.
He backs his inquiries up with some really solid modeling pictures, so I can say with confidence that the guy has chops.
Is there any restrictions placed on visitors from certain parts of the globe? And if so, is there a work around to let him participate here?
If you need more particulars, please PM me.
Lee

Maybe he is trying to sign up for our India subsidiary .. 

https://www.railwireinternet.com

« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 06:10:06 AM by John »

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 10:57:37 AM »
Lee, your friend needs to find a VPN service that lands him with a US IP exit. Or UK, AUS or NZ. They exist, but any worth bothering with are not free.

From my trying to use anonymizer proxies from time to time I can attest that TRW, or our hosting company, blocks the "problem" IP ranges associated with Eastern Europe, Russia, and many if not most countries in Asia. There is, to my knowledge, no working around the .IN and related IP blocks. Lots of Internet evil lurks there, and if I were admin here, the lockouts would probably be worse as I tamped down the @$$#0!3$ who hammer so hard on my server or servers trying to break through.

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2022, 11:56:50 AM »
... I can attest that TRW, or our hosting company, blocks the "problem" IP ranges associated with Eastern Europe, Russia, and many if not most countries in Asia. .

I use NordVPN and regularly have problems the closer I place myself to the former USSR.  My bank never believes me anymore, that it's me, when I try to log on.  That being said, I heartily support an infusion of international modelers.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 09:36:06 PM »
We have recent member, Pradeep Kulkarni who has been posting in the Prototype section.  The name appears to be Indian, but he might not actually be living in India (or have India-based IP address).
. . . 42 . . .

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 02:10:46 AM »
The name appears to be Indian, but he might not actually be living in India (or have India-based IP address).

LOL, he could be here in western Portlandia.  With Intel and a number of other chip manufacturers, Hillsboro and Beaverton are lucky to have a sizable Indian community employed by these companies.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 02:14:48 AM »
Seriously some countries block all sorts of stuff on the internet.

keeper

• Crew
  • Gichi-Gami Railroad
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 04:28:45 AM »
Seriously some countries block all sorts of stuff on the internet.

True. Some US sites do this as well. Some of the news links posted here can not be opened from outside the US due to some legal reasons.
Whatever they are.
Thomas

Ageing is inevitable - maturity is optional.

johnb

• Crew
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2022, 04:58:35 AM »
Seriously some countries block all sorts of stuff on the internet
India isn't one of them, too many devs live there, it would hurt their economy.