Author Topic: KATO F3 (2015 run) / WVD adapter / ESU 58828 decoder help, please  (Read 753 times)

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488

I have installed the adapter & decoder in my "B" unit and it was running in 15 minutes. Cool beans, except for the speaker. That's another story.

I am taking on the "A" unit now and this is where I need input. I am going to split the light pipe so I can have a Mars light and put small LED's on each piece of the pipe  and was going to just wire them up to the headlight and backup light pads on the adapter without resistors because I thought I read that the adapter has resistors (1Kohm) on all functions. Then I read somewhere that those pads were not protected. Can someone clue me in? Do I need resistors or not .

Also, again I read this somewhere but can't find now. I how do I change the prime mover start ups so that each does not start at the same time, need just a tad of delay between the two.

I welcome any comments, suggestions, and help.

Be well,
Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
Re: KATO F3 (2015 run) / WVD adapter / ESU 58828 decoder help, please
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 11:54:36 AM »
Carl,

All ourput pads on the WVD board have resistors, so no issues there (note Aux5/6 are actually U+ with resistors, since you need to use the Aux5/6 pads on the Micro).  I put the Mars light on Aux 1, but hey, F0R is good, too!

I just change the sound speed of the prime movers (set min/max speed on the B unit to 125 vs default 128 - they start at same time, but have a slightly different pitch). If you want the sound to actually start a bit later, you need to go into the Sounds area of LokProgrammer, and add a timer into the main start "MS" box (not for faint of heart)
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 12:00:39 PM »
Thanks rick,

I appreciate your sharing. I thought that was the case with resistors. I shall do the min/max speed change as I am not up to "faint of heart" projects.

Thanks again, be well,
Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 02:08:05 PM »
I don't know how you "consisted" the A & B units, but if you used a consist address rather than just giving both the same short or long address, then you can start each unit in the consist independently of the others by sending the startup command (usually F8 or F9) to the non-consist active address of each unit separately.

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 03:50:54 PM »
Maletrain,

Thanks for the heads up. I have never messed with consisting using my ESU Lokprogrammer, until now. I have always used the simple Digitrax method or just simpler by making same address in each decoder and turning off any functions I did not want to have working. I fired up Lokprogrammer and checked out the consist window, pretty easy to set up. The main ting I like is the independent start up possibility.

BTW, I am just completing the "A" unit install so I will try the consisting tomorrow. So, if I try it, I'll like it ? ?

Thanks!,
Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

Wutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +247
    • Wutter Vehicles and Details
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 09:10:28 PM »
+1

I am taking on the "A" unit now and this is where I need input. I am going to split the light pipe so I can have a Mars light and put small LED's on each piece of the pipe  and was going to just wire them up to the headlight and backup light pads on the adapter without resistors because I thought I read that the adapter has resistors (1Kohm) on all functions. Then I read somewhere that those pads were not protected. Can someone clue me in? Do I need resistors or not .

All output pads on the WVD board have resistors, so no issues there (note Aux5/6 are actually U+ with resistors, since you need to use the Aux5/6 pads on the Micro).  I put the Mars light on Aux 1, but hey, F0R is good, too!

To reiterate Rick's comment above and to anyone reading the thread, the WVD Adapter has 1Kohm resistors on all of the function outputs, the wires are just attached differently for Aux 5, 6 and 7 because of how the pads are available only on the decoder itself:
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Full manual can be found here:  https://tinyurl.com/yx8zcz4s
Alvin
Wutter Vehicles and Details
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/wuttervehicles

tehachapi highlight reel:

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 11:08:48 AM »
Thanks for the info, to all of you.

Now an issue:

I wired the headlight to the F0f on the adapter and it works fine, no problemo. However, I wired the  "Mars" light LED to aux2 and it will not come on. I programed it to come on when F3 is turned on, nothing but when I turn on F6 it comes on but will not  oscillate. I moved it to the F0r and no worky there either. Any suggestions? Is info, I attached the 58828 decoder as preferred by Alvin. Oh, I also moved it to aux3 and nothing.

Actually I think I will re-load the S0177 sound file and start over. BTW, the loco moved forward/backward as it should and the speaker sound is great.

Confused,
Carl

Well I guess I fixed it. 1st I removed the decoder from the board and with a magnifying glass looked at the aux 2&3 pads and it appeared I had some connection between the two. I wicked the pads clean, reattached the LED to aux4 and it works as programed.  Woopie!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 02:49:08 PM by carlso »
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 10:07:48 PM »
Short Y-T vid to demonstrate what I have done so far. Some sound slots need adjusting but I want to get everything right before I install the shell:

/>
Be well,
Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas