Author Topic: BLI N Scale MIb 4-8-2 Mountain Dcc and Sound  (Read 1705 times)

rgengineoiler

• Crew
  • Retired, Union, Operating Engineer, 43 years Svc.
  • Respect: +14
BLI N Scale MIb 4-8-2 Mountain Dcc and Sound
« on: January 12, 2022, 06:07:55 PM »
Bought this beautiful Locomotive in July of 2016 from M.B. Klein ,l looked at it once when it came and shelved it in it's box.  I have an acreage and just don't have time much for the hobby.  Got it out today and it came to life at 03 adr. and I programed in the Loco number with my Digitrax system.  All sounds came alive, lights etc. and programed CV29 to 38 just to be sure.  Placed it on the main, everything good but Locomotive will not move at all.  Programed it back CV8 to 8 and started over and all good but will not move.   What gives? Any idea's?  Doug    :?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 06:09:38 PM by rgengineoiler »

Rasputen

• Crew
  • Respect: +273
Re: BLI N Scale MIb 4-8-2 Mountain Dcc and Sound
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 06:33:54 PM »
What locomotive number are you trying to put in?

rgengineoiler

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 07:58:56 PM »
I mentioned above the Loco number went in perfectly and is programed for it and all sound functions work with no issues.  The Locomotive just will not move.  This was an unpainted unit and numbered by me of 1519 for Rio Grande Mountain units.  All sounds and lights work correctly but the unit will not move when throttled up.  I have just as many Steamers as Diesels, All DCC With Sound.  Never had this happen before.  D

Rasputen

• Crew
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 08:16:14 PM »
Did you try the brake set/release?  I think it is F12 with Paragon 2 systems.

rgengineoiler

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 09:36:33 PM »
Ok, I'll try that in the morning and let you know and thanks.  D

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 02:35:31 AM »
Give it a nudge, the brushes may be stuck from setting or there could be a slight bit of tarnish on the commutator that is keeping the brush from making good contact.
Tony Hines

rgengineoiler

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 11:15:32 AM »
Still will not move.  Tried releasing the brake on F12.  Makes the noise but Loco won't move.  Changed CV185 to 10 instead of factory default of 20 and no help.  Tried a small push forward a few times and no movement.  All Sounds and Lighting working fine.  I know I bought it from Klein in July of 2016, looked at it and shelved it.  Just did not have time to try it.  Should I send it back to BLI and just have to pay for repair or are there any other ideas?  D

dnhouston

• Crew
  • Respect: +651
    • Dusty Junction & Northwestern
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 12:09:45 PM »
+1
Could it be a loose wire from the board to the motor?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4595
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 04:02:54 PM »
Could it be a loose wire from the board to the motor?
That does sound like the motor is not properly connected to the decoder (so it gets no power).
. . . 42 . . .

rgengineoiler

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 04:07:11 PM »
Ill pop the tender and check wiring.  Never been run, can you believe it?   D

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 05:17:43 PM »
I'm not sure what tools you have at your disposal, but...

Does the motor even hum a little?

I agree that popping the tender shell and looking for broken wires is a good first step.
If you don't see anything like that, and you are willing, can you disconnect the motor from the decoder
and just try running the motor on some straight DC?  That would tell you a lot.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4595
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2022, 05:26:59 PM »
Ill pop the tender and check wiring.  Never been run, can you believe it?   D
Sure would!  :facepalm:

If you don't see anything like that, and you are willing, can you disconnect the motor from the decoder
and just try running the motor on some straight DC?  That would tell you a lot.

If no DC throttle is handy, a regular 9V battery can be used to power the motor.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 05:30:44 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

rgengineoiler

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2022, 07:28:30 PM »
I do have a DC throttle.  I'll try it on my test track on DC and see what happens this evening.  I really don't want to pull the loco shell on this beauty and mess something up.  I am fine on diesels but not on the steamers.  All the wiring in the tender looks perfect and connections good. nothing loose or scrapped.  Will let you know and thanks.   D

rgengineoiler

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2022, 09:22:02 PM »
Ok, I placed this BLI on my test track and hooked up a transformer to it.  Gave some power and nothing so I put the throttle on three quarters of the way and only in reverse at that high amount of power did it make a few start up sounds and quit.  It won't do anything at that power in forward and won't move.  Took off the transformer and plugged test track into Digitrax system and again it made all of the sounds and lights were perfect but will not move.  I am going to email BLI and see if they will repair it.  It is so far out of date but it is a nice model and they have a record of my buying it and I have receipt copy.  What else can one do.  I appreciate all the help everyone has given me.   Doug

rgengineoiler

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2022, 10:42:12 AM »
+1
    It's time to put this thread to bed.  BLI answered my email the next morning and gave me the factory procedure using the factory reset button.  I have  four other BLI Loco's and new about the button but never had to use one.  The picture they sent me of the decoder did not match what I have.  I kept looking for it and could not find the button.  I also found out that the first BLI 4-8-2 Mountain locomotive releases were  Paragon 2 of this model and date and the second releases of this time were Paragon 3 even though boxed as 2.  That is why my decoder was different.  Kept looking and finally found the button on the underside of the right side of the decoder slightly back from the edge, middle of the board.
    This created another issue of holding the button in and doing a factory reset in the tender.  Soldered terminals were right above the button on the top side.  I used Ali clip and taped the top terminals and installed the clip which pushed in the button under the board and held in while I preformed the factory reset.  All is well now and this beautiful BLI steamer is preforming perfect.  Changed many of the CV's to my liking and done.  Through this I was never looking for the reset button on the underside of the decoder.  BLI did not mention this either.  There are so many changes to models these days.  Hope this helps someone else.    Doug    :)