Author Topic: Weekend Update 12/19/21  (Read 5337 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Re: Weekend Update 12/19/21
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2021, 06:39:04 AM »
If that really is the only barrier, then do yourself a favour this holiday season and try out TinkerCAD.   If you can build things out of blocks, you can design with this free online program.  To get you started, I drew this example up in about 10 mins:

It's composed of 4 pieces: 2 slabs in red and two cylindrical shadow objects in grey (left).  When you group them (right) you have something resembling your part (I'm just guessing dimensions of course, but this piece is about 4 mm on a side and 1 mm thick).  Here's the link to the piece which you can use as a starting point:

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/5Of5Mku89T8

Sign yourself up for a free account, load this file, and start playing with it.  If you can get something that looks like it might work, I'll print a set up for you and drop them in the mail.  That will hold you over until your own printer arrives.  ;)  It will change your modelling life.

I'm playing around with it and I can't even figure out how to extrude shapes from my box.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2893

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4174
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2021, 09:34:36 AM »
I “fixed” a pair of the Atlas TOFC flats this week – milling out the recesses above the wheels, cleaning out the mounting holes with a drill bit so the circus ramps could be mounted, swapping in ESM wheels.  I didn’t mess with the couplers yet but the cars roll freely now. I was hoping to pry some couplers out of BLI which would work here, but they aren’t being reasonable by limiting the amount to five pair and wanting $5 per pair.  I’ve started lobbying MTL behind the scenes to make their own version for these types of conversion applications. The coupler pocket is deep enough to insert the two etched brass plates and have the MTL coupler work?  Interesting. @daniel_leavitt2000 – how thick are your styrene plates?  You don’t need to be as precise with the cavity for the centering nubs. Look at the etched coupler plate from any of the ESM 50’ boxcars and you’ll see what I mean. Also the Atlas PS-1 coupler pocket. The X58 pocket is narrower than this TOFC pocket, I’ll check to see if the X58 plate drops in to test the theory. If it works, it would be simple enough to tailor the design for the TOFC and get some etched.

Extra CR10 cars won’t be an issue. Haven’t decided yet on how to proceed regarding the interior, since it still must be separate so the weight can be sandwiched between. The end railings also are an issue, if they are too delicate to 3D-print. If not, I can include the flood lights on the railing. Still a ways to go and it won’t be among the first models I attempt to print.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 09:38:35 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
  • Respect: +2090
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2021, 10:34:37 AM »
I’m in danger of finishing a project! WM Baldwin VO660 #103. The shell is essentially finished. I was hoping to finish today but discovered that I’ll need some smaller LEDs for the headlights. I’ll take care of the lenses once the LEDs are in. Also some quirky things to work out with the decoder, but at the end of the day, she’s running!

Two things that I’m exceptionally happy with are the front grill, and the cab windows. I made the grill out of wire mesh cut to fit into recesses in the shell. The windows I printed in clear resin, then wet polished to 10,000 grit. They’re held in place by pledge floor polish.

Beautiful job on the Baldwin!
Nicely done
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4572
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2021, 10:58:16 AM »
Something like this?
. . .
It works, but still a lot of fussy bits to carve by hand. This would lend itself well to etching. In fact, I could probably use the same parts for the Athearn cars as the coupler boxes are almost identical.

This is only a proof of concept. The coupler can sit too high. I have to shave about half the height of the upper centering pin. The cover is too thin and flops around like a dead fish. BUT... it works. I think if I remove the inner bevel on the lid and use thicker styrene on both the lid and the shim, it might both lower the coupler enough and provide clearance so I don't have to shave down the centering pins.

Now I just need to make this repeatable. Luckily, I only have 6 cars to convert.

Yes, something like that.  Exactly.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 10:59:53 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2021, 11:24:20 AM »
Beautiful job on the Baldwin!
Nicely done

Yes, excellent!
Otto