Author Topic: Substituting Kato Mikado details?  (Read 1194 times)

Hedron

• Crew
  • Respect: +37
Substituting Kato Mikado details?
« on: December 17, 2021, 11:01:08 AM »
You know the story, Kato Mikado details kits long out of stock and going for a premium on eBay.

I'd like to gather suggestions from the forum for substituting from various currently available stocked replacement parts/aftermarket details/scratch built/shapeways/etc.
Speaking for myself, homebrew 3D printing is not an option, I would have to purchase via shapeways or depend on the kindness of strangers. And, not being a strong scratchbuilder myself, the closer to plug-and-play the better.

* Pilot handrails -- looks like simple brass wire. What gauge?
* Bell
* Boiler handrails and stanchions - wire, easily, but what gauge and how to attach?
* Whistle
* Pop valves

I believe that's all that's in the detail kit?

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
Re: Substituting Kato Mikado details?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 11:39:37 AM »
Would a kato mikado kit fit your needs or do you want to make your own?

I can search to see if I have a set. Message me directly if you'd like.

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 11:43:07 AM »
+1
You know the story, Kato Mikado details kits long out of stock and going for a premium on eBay.

I'd like to gather suggestions from the forum for substituting from various currently available stocked replacement parts/aftermarket details/scratch built/shapeways/etc.
Speaking for myself, homebrew 3D printing is not an option, I would have to purchase via shapeways or depend on the kindness of strangers. And, not being a strong scratchbuilder myself, the closer to plug-and-play the better.

* Pilot handrails -- looks like simple brass wire. What gauge?
* Bell
* Boiler handrails and stanchions - wire, easily, but what gauge and how to attach?
* Whistle
* Pop valves

I believe that's all that's in the detail kit?

For the handrails, you could buy a Gold Metal Models staunchion set and then use brass or phosphor bronze wire for the handrails.  The Gold Metal Models steam detail set is a really great resource for steam engine detailing.

As far as the bell and whistle, I don't know of a source for those items.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1253
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 02:30:10 PM »
A nice investment cast bell and bracket is available from Precision Scale.  They were purchased by P.F.&S. Railway Supply Company out in a wheatfield several miles north of Pasco WA in 2018, and my efforts to call them today have failed with the regular telephone number now being the fax line and the old fax line being continually busy.  However, you can look at their N-scale product line and prices here: https://www.precisionscaleco.com/ and contact them by email here: precisionscaleco@gmail.com

I hope parts are still available, since both the plastic and brass parts I've bought from them in the past have been very good.

The parts I have from them, and use regularly on my car and steam engine kitbashes are: Air Hoses (both plastic and brass), Brake Air Reservoir Wabco AB, Brake Cylinder Wabco, Brake Distributing Valve Wabco AB, Brake Cylinder, Pyle National MO-6 Generator, Alco Power Reverse, Wabco AB Brake Kit (both plastic and brass), Modern Pyle Generator, Westinghouse Cross-Compound Air Pump

They also have a selection of brass wire, brass half wire, eye-bolts, lift-rings, and machined & cast lagged pipe, some of which may be small enough for N-scale applications.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 02:42:36 PM by robert3985 »

TVRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 02:59:51 PM »
I feel your pain. Recently completed a Southern version Mikado with an assortment of stuff. 0.012" bronze phosphor wire for all handrails cab, boiler and pilot, Gold Metal stanchions, GHQ popoffs and whistle, and a Bachman brass bell with home made mounting. Other misc stuff as needed. It turned out well after I finally tamed the bronze wire-springy stuff but very straight if you don't deliberately bend it.
Modeling Southern and N&W in the southeast.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1778
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2021, 06:35:29 PM »
Another vote for the Gold Medal Models steam loco detail set - that will get you the stanchions.  For the wire handrail and pilot wire, I'd use .010" phosphor bronze wire (from Tichy Train Group). Do NOT use brass wire.  It is too bendy and soft.  You need something that is stiff and springy to it can hold it's shape under handling.  I use 2-part epoxy to glue things like these stanchions into the boiler, or even Walthers Goo (although that is hard to make neat with such small applications).  Not ACC.  It is too brittle and the stanchions will keep popping out of the body holes.

For the bell, try the Bachmann parts website and seek out the bells they sell for the old-run 2-8-0.  They are very nicely detailed and not too expensive, when they have them.  They are out of stock now.
Miniatures By Eric also has an assortment of good looking steam loco bells.

For the whistle and pop valves, I'd probably just scratch build them from some brass wire of the correct diameter.  They are small enough that you don't need a lot of detail on them to look acceptable.  I know you said you don't want to scratch build anything, but...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 10:55:10 PM by mmagliaro »

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2021, 01:14:12 AM »
+1
The Precision Scale parts are still available, and, in fact, I received a package with ten pairs of brass bells a week ago.  They're #6720, $5.00 pkg/2. 

Their website has a downloadable PDF catalog and price list, but they don't have an online store.  In my case, being old-fashioned, I emailed them what I wanted, they sent me an invoice, I sent them a check, and they sent me the parts.  You can call and give them your credit card number, but that assumes their phone works!
N Kalanaga
Be well

Albert in N

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2021, 10:03:33 AM »
 :)  The subject reminds us to watch the details and be sure that any boxed Kato locomotive actually has the little clear plastic bag of detail parts in the foam box cut out. If the detail part is not on the locomotive or in the box, the value just plummeted. Just saying since winter is the season for train shows.  Also, when you box your own locomotive, be sure that no part popped off during operation.  If so, try to find it before it is gone forever and then you find that parts department is out of the part you need.

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2021, 08:57:12 PM »
Miniatures By Eric makes a variety of bells, whistles and other steam locomotive detail parts.

Craig

TVRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2021, 01:48:28 PM »
BTW you'll want a replacement driver with TT if you loco doesn't already have one on axle 4. Pull is kind of anemic without one. Easy change out!

Modeling Southern and N&W in the southeast.